British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Made a major decision.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/made-major-decision-372026/)

SarahB May 7th 2006 9:02 am

Made a major decision....

.... to sell my house back in the UK and use the equity as a deposit on a house here in Beachlands! Its a major decision for me as I really thought I wouldnt want to sell it until we had been here 2 years.

We've been here a year next month and we're just a bit fed up with not being able to do things we would like to the house we live in. Its a beautiful house and I feel lucky that we were here at the right time to be able to rent it but its time to buy our own.

The landlord of this house keeps saying we can buy it from him but its out of our price range.

I'm going to start the ball rolling tomorrow evening when UK goes back to work... exciting times coming up. :)

Nice Guy May 7th 2006 9:08 am

Re: Made a major decision....

Originally Posted by SarahB
.... to sell my house back in the UK and use the equity as a deposit on a house here in Beachlands! Its a major decision for me as I really thought I wouldnt want to sell it until we had been here 2 years.

We've been here a year next month and we're just a bit fed up with not being able to do things we would like to the house we live in. Its a beautiful house and I feel lucky that we were here at the right time to be able to rent it but its time to buy our own.

The landlord of this house keeps saying we can buy it from him but its out of our price range.

I'm going to start the ball rolling tomorrow evening when UK goes back to work... exciting times coming up. :)

Good for you and good luck!

Tried to send you Karma, but it said I had to show you my willy first........or something like that!

SarahB May 7th 2006 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Good for you and good luck!

Tried to send you Karma, but it said I had to show you my willy first........or something like that!

LOL.... you always make me laugh!! Now I'm sure it didnt say that to you!!

Thanks.... I hate buying and selling and now I'm on the other side of the planet. ...dunno how easy its going to be.

Nice Guy May 7th 2006 9:19 am

LOL.... you always make me laugh!! Now I'm sure it didnt say that to you!!

Thanks.... I hate buying and selling and now I'm on the other side of the planet. ...dunno how easy its going to be.

Nah, it said I had to moon or something, spread it around a bit more, or something!

Internet/e mail/Fax will soon beocome your best friends!

Should be a piece of whatever, like I said Good Luck!

annaerb May 7th 2006 9:28 am

Sarah,

It's very easy to buy a house in NZ, as soon as you have put an offer in that's basically it, it's a done deal. Have you started to look around yet? Been to any open Homes? I know most of the agents around here, don't let them push you and have a good look around with more than one agent.
Your landlord is keen for you to buy so that he does'nt have to pay agents fees, Is his price negotible?

SarahB May 7th 2006 9:41 am

Originally Posted by annaerb
Sarah,

It's very easy to buy a house in NZ, as soon as you have put an offer in that's basically it, it's a done deal. Have you started to look around yet? Been to any open Homes? I know most of the agents around here, don't let them push you and have a good look around with more than one agent.
Your landlord is keen for you to buy so that he does'nt have to pay agents fees, Is his price negotible?

Yes I went to 2 open homes today... one at the top of Karaka Rd.... ermmm.... the word Sh*t springs to mind... there was dog poo inside the house!!! Apparently the owner has moved to Oz and rented it to a relative.... its in a right sorry state and smells really bad! It needs at least 100k spending on it so way out of our price range. Shame as its on the top of the hill and the views are stunning and we know the neighbours and they are really nice people.... but its just a wreck!

I viewed another on Beachlands Road.... a 1960's 2 storey family sized house... I liked it quite a lot.... clean and tidy but needs a bit of modernisation... but its definately liveable. DS went to sleep so I couldnt go back with OH to see it later on (he was out fishing earlier) but he went without me and loved it!! Now we have to move fast and hope that he doesnt sell it before we can make him an offer.... got loads of phonecalls to make this week.

The landlord wants about $650 for the house that we rent.... its just too much for us. It is a beautiful house though. We couldnt negotiate with him as we think our limit is way less than the price hes asking.

We are only selling one house in the UK. We have a 3 bed town house in Peterborough too but are not selling that at this moment in time. I should get about $200k to put down as a deposit from just selling my little house. I cant do a lot until I speak to the Management Company tomorrow night and tell them what I want to do... I want them to offer the house to the tenent first.

annaerb May 7th 2006 9:52 am

I'll have to look at the houses for sale when I'm driving past tomorrow, I think I know the one, it's on the left H/S going into beachlands, there was another one a few doors down that just recently sold, nice and handy to the fire station/shops too.

Fancy not cleaning the house before someone went to see it, hope the agent gave them a telling off.

planty May 7th 2006 9:53 am

Hi, and good luck with your house sale.

From what I've read and heard from others buying a house in NZ is easy and it all completes in a month, unlike the system in the UK.

I'm just gob smacked at how slow our sale is going, there shouldn't be any problems, there is a cash buyer/people buying our house/us leaving no chain. we're now approaching 10 weeks since all offers were accepted and still no where near getting a moving date or contracts signed and exchanged. I am in daily contact with our agents who say they are chasing things to get things moving, but as yet no result. :scared:

On the brighter side the $ has gone in our favor from our original estimate of moving to NZ in January. And I may get to watch the World Cup without matchsticks to keep my eyes open. :D

Sending you some house selling Karma to hopefully keep you calmer. ;)

Sorry, like nice guy, got to do some spreading

Nice Guy May 7th 2006 10:00 am

Originally Posted by planty

Sorry, like nice guy, got to do some spreading

Seems you are such a nice person, SarahB

SarahB May 7th 2006 10:06 am

Thanks!!! :)

We are sitting here right now going through the figures. Its a bit depressing really.... will probably be paying a mortage off when we're retired!! Houses here are expensive.... we might have to look for a cheaper house.

Batty May 7th 2006 7:55 pm

We are sitting here right now going through the figures. Its a bit depressing really.... will probably be paying a mortage off when we're retired!! Houses here are expensive.... we might have to look for a cheaper house.

Sarah, good luck. When we were freaking out about going over our budget and the size of the mortgage hubby's BIL (accountant) said that whilst it might seem expensive now, in 10 years it won't be. Salaries will have increased, interest rates will (hopefully) have come down at some stage during that period and houses will have risen in value. Don't know if that's any help to you but it made sense to us at the time and made it a little easier to sleep at night.

shelly1 May 7th 2006 8:17 pm

Good Luck sarah
Don't worry about having to pay for your property in retirement
Your only like the rest of us :)
Think positive
Shelly x

SarahB May 8th 2006 4:00 am

We might have to rethink our plans. We have been checking house prices round Auckland, and Beachlands is so inflated. We have some decisions to make..... do we stay here and buy a smaller or older property or do we look around and get a larger nice family house somewhere else?

We might go at the weekend for a drive and look round Waitakere way.... anyone live in that area??

I hate the thought of having to move and start all over again.... but we hate the thought of being ripped off here and paying well over the odds when we can get a similar house in another area for a lot less money.

I will still sell my house in UK anyway and get the money in the bank earning interest and then if we have the readies ready we might have some bargaining power when we decide to buy.

mumomonty May 8th 2006 4:48 am

Sarah, have you thought about coming down here?
It's a bit cheaper in the Waikato. Look online. Look on lifestyle. We got an older style 3 bed house on half acre (busy road though) but rural for 300k which we think was expensive but not compared to Auckland. My OH works in Auckland 2 days a week and 3 in Hamilton. I suppose if your OH had to do it 5 days the cost of fuel would be a major no-no.

We really wanted 5 acres or more but like you say NZ is expensive. OH says one day he will get it or he might consider jumping back over the ditch to Oz but we like it here for the animals in particular but still have a real love of Oz.

Sorry you had to see the one with poo in the house but since Oz and here nothing surprises me. We rented a beautiful placei in Oz and couldn't put pictures up etc and I never settled there. So I understand what you mean about making it yours and not being able to.

SarahB May 8th 2006 7:22 am

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Sarah, have you thought about coming down here?
It's a bit cheaper in the Waikato. Look online. Look on lifestyle. We got an older style 3 bed house on half acre (busy road though) but rural for 300k which we think was expensive but not compared to Auckland. My OH works in Auckland 2 days a week and 3 in Hamilton. I suppose if your OH had to do it 5 days the cost of fuel would be a major no-no.

We really wanted 5 acres or more but like you say NZ is expensive. OH says one day he will get it or he might consider jumping back over the ditch to Oz but we like it here for the animals in particular but still have a real love of Oz.

Sorry you had to see the one with poo in the house but since Oz and here nothing surprises me. We rented a beautiful placei in Oz and couldn't put pictures up etc and I never settled there. So I understand what you mean about making it yours and not being able to.

I'd love to but I know he wont travel that far to work.... he moans about the journey now.

I've had enough of it all today..... OH keeps changing his mind every 5 minutes so I'm off to watch TV and hes out to the Fire Station for practise.