Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Made to feel welcome!

Made to feel welcome!

Old Oct 18th 2007, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Burt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud ofBurt Badger has much to be proud of
Default Made to feel welcome!

From The Times
October 16, 2007
Arms cache discovered in secret Maori ‘terror camps’
Bernard Lagan in Sydney
Secret camps allegedly used for military training by Maori radicals were yesterday found deep within New Zealand’s most sacred mountain range.
At least 17 people were arrested and high-velocity weapons seized by armed police using, for the first time, powers granted to them under the country’s antiterror laws. The operation has shocked the nation, which has long believed that its isolation would protect it against terrorism.
Television reports said that a napalm bomb had been tested at one camp and a threat made against Helen Clark, the Prime Minister.
The raids centred on the North Island hamlet of Ruatoki, which is gateway to the Urewera mountains, the home of the reclusive Tuhoe tribe, but there were other operations in Wellington and Christchurch. They followed sightings by hunters in the region of armed men in camouflage at a camp in the Ureweras.
Ms Clark said later that she was aware of police plans but refused to say if she knew of a threat to herself or other politicians. She said that she was “surprised at the scale and numbers of people involved”.
Campaigners from Maori independence, environmental and peace groups were allegedly among those who had trained at the camps. Howard Broad, the Police Commissioner, said: “They are training in the use of firearms and other weapons. I believe this is domestically oriented. I don’t have evidence that there is an international connection to this.”
TV3 reported that police acted after individuals linked to the training camps tested a homemade napalm bomb two weeks ago. Mr Broad did not mention napalm when briefing reporters, but said: “There was a significant risk and I deemed it prudent to act now rather than to allow this risk to continue.”
Among those arrested was Tame Iti, 55, a prominent campaigner for Maori independence. He appeared before Rotorua District Court on eight charges relating to the possession of firearms and petrol bombs

Burt
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:39 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Made to feel welcome!

Originally Posted by Burt Badger
From The Times
October 16, 2007
Arms cache discovered in secret Maori ‘terror camps’
Bernard Lagan in Sydney
Sydney, eh? Bernie really is rolling up his sleeves and working this story, huh?
Originally Posted by Burt Badger
<snip>
The operation has shocked the nation, which has long believed that its isolation would protect it against terrorism.
<snip>
Burt
Shocked is not the adjective I'd use. More along the lines of ho-hum. To used tired phrases, it's a tempest in a teacup, much ado about nothing.

You do enjoy stirring the pot Burt.

*bye*
Old Oct 18th 2007, 6:37 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

MY OH wears Camis, should I be worried ??????
Old Oct 18th 2007, 10:02 pm

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happynz
Sydney, eh? Bernie really is rolling up his sleeves and working this story, huh?
Shocked is not the adjective I'd use. More along the lines of ho-hum. To used tired phrases, it's a tempest in a teacup, much ado about nothing.

You do enjoy stirring the pot Burt.

*bye*
spot on. Lots of drama about nothing much. A bunch a guys doing what any red blooded male would do : Make a homemade napalm bomb! They are probably just researching a new way to prepare a hangi

Last edited by Hoyo; Oct 18th 2007 at 10:13 pm.