machinist

Old Sep 13th 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

ben123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default machinist

Hi,

Are there any machinists who are applying or have moved to New Zealand?
I am a cnc & manual machinist and am wondering what process you took and how.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Sep 14th 2008, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

mart19630 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: machinist

Hi Mate,
I am a cnc machinist/programmer too, I logged my cv on the seek job site then applied through the pool process and was picked straight away I had 120 points. it took me 4 months to get my visa which was a perminate resindence visa which was very fast apparently. In the mean time I had a phone job interview and got the job as well, I suppose you could say I had some luck, regarding jobs there is plenty over there for our trade I have had many job offers prior to going.
Make sure you have all your certificates for your trade and get them converted to the equivalent in New Zealand through the NZQA. This takes a while and costs about £100
If you have any questions or I can help please email me.
Regards

Martin
Old Sep 14th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

ben123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for the info.
I can`t see the occupation in the skills in demand list, is this right.
I am just thinking having no job offer,and not being in demand you still gained entry, thats good.Was that the case?

Thanks,

Alan
Old Sep 14th 2008, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

mart19630 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Alan
When I applied it had just been taken off the skills in demand list
but I still managed to qualify, I did enclose a letter stating I would be employed if I had my visa and gave the name and address of some contacts in NZ agencies I had spoken to. This may have helped. There are plenty of jobs on the Seek web site I just applied stating I was in the proccess of obtaining my visa which is true, then if you get an interview and an offer of a job that will fast track you over here. Try Hamilton Jet in Christchurch they have a web site they were a great help they are always after cnc machinists.
Regards

Martin