Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

m&s and next to nz

m&s and next to nz

Old Nov 14th 2009, 6:41 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: m&s and next to nz

Originally Posted by concretepump View Post
but thats my, point kiwis do walk around in bare feet i used to drive in bare feet more comfortable, than with jandels
nz is built on the out door life, shorts and singlet, the first time we went i was shocked to see bank employes wearing shorts never see that in uk
but things like that make it stand out from the rest of the world
Well good for you
Old Nov 14th 2009, 8:20 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

M&S clothing is made in PRC, Vietnam and like locations and marked up accordingly. Where is NZ clothing made? I know your wool is much prized over in the UK due to it's superior quality. The clothes we bought in NZ were certainly better made than the cheap Chinese stuff we are offered in M&S nowdays.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Yeah I agree with you mate. I left the old world well behind..and everything in it. I wanted a new life and don't hanker for ought from the UK except courteous driving. I am even used to kiwi TV now shite as it is..still I wasn't a huge lover of TV in the UK anyways. Just courteous driving will do.
yeah, who needs U.K. chav fashion anyhow.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Paula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud ofPaula2007 has much to be proud of

Re bare feet - my son who is British and now lives in New Zealand - met us at the airport in Auckland in bare feet after having driven 3 hours to pick us up like that!!!! Definately looked strange wandering around the airport with him but nobody seemed to think it odd except me!!
Old Nov 15th 2009, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by concretepump View Post
there is a uk shop in davenport road in tauranga but we never thought much of it,
It shut down a few months ago.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stormer999 View Post
M&S clothing is made in PRC, Vietnam and like locations and marked up accordingly. Where is NZ clothing made? I know your wool is much prized over in the UK due to it's superior quality. The clothes we bought in NZ were certainly better made than the cheap Chinese stuff we are offered in M&S nowdays.
As with the UK most chain store clothes here are made in China etc., its not until you get to the so called 'high end' stuff that it is still manufactured in NZ, just as in UK.
Even quite a bit of the merino wool clothing [its only a type of sheep after all] will be made off shore....Fiji is used also as an off shore manufacturing base.
By law the item of clothing must state where it is made and what it is made from and also how it is to be cared for, if you purchase an item and don't get this information take the matter further, there will be some govt department who would be interested, Ministry of consumer affairs?

You may know that a favourite trick of some NZ labels to state; 'Designed in New Zealand' but on the fibre content label it will say 'made in china'.

I actually personally think the Chinese get a bad rap. I have in the past owned an number of items that have come out of China, they haven't been cheap [usually European or US brands] but they have been well made and I think at the end of the day we probably get what we pay for....I could ramble on but I will spare ya......
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P2L View Post
I've seen more than one Kiwi in the POM shop buying stuff they remember from their OE, and I don't hear anyone moaning that the Kiwi Shop in London shouldn't be allowed either

At the end of the day, what does it matter what people CHOOSE to spend their dollars on. If you choose not to shop there, well all well and good, but don't harrass those that do

And just for the record, I've shopped in both the Pom shop in NZ and the Kiwi shop in the UK in my time

Too right and I bet most of those whingeing about it don't mind shopping in the Asian stores, which outnumber the UK offerings by about a million to one and somehow manage to charge very reasonable prices for imported goods.

It's okay to still want and desire Asian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese or Indian groceries; yet as soon as anyone mentions missing or wanting anything British, it sends all the self-righteous off on one.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Nov 16th 2009 at 9:48 am.
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

You should read the book "Where Underpants Come From" by Joe Bennett. It's all about his research into finding out where and how his Warehouse purchased under crackers were made. His journey takes him to China and he finds out all about global commerce. Fascinating read with good humour by a British born Kiwi author (he wrote Land of Two Halves).
Old Nov 17th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
You should read the book "Where Underpants Come From" by Joe Bennett. It's all about his research into finding out where and how his Warehouse purchased under crackers were made. His journey takes him to China and he finds out all about global commerce. Fascinating read with good humour by a British born Kiwi author (he wrote Land of Two Halves).
yes a very entertaining read!
Old Nov 17th 2009, 8:37 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Boring clothes shops, Boring Life and boring people, Im Wanganui anyway
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

sjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of lightsjake is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
Fascinating read with good humour by a British born Kiwi author (he wrote Land of Two Halves).
Just reading this now - present from boss just before I left work last week!!