Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

m&s and next to nz

m&s and next to nz

Old Nov 13th 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default m&s and next to nz

why do people who move across the other side of the world, want to buy things from where they came from, ie m&s and next Shirley you would want to live, the kiwi way and when in Rome,

no wonder there are loads of people who come back to uk, only want uk food there is a uk shop in davenport road in tauranga but we never thought much of it,
i know things are expensive in nz , but they are in uk as well and kiwis seem two manage why cant the poms
maybe its just me,
Old Nov 13th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: m&s and next to nz

some booze is cheap here though, and kebabs etc. Basically junk food is cheap in the UK, thats about it.
Old Nov 13th 2009, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by concretepump
why do people who move across the other side of the world, want to buy things from where they came from, ie m&s and next Shirley you would want to live, the kiwi way and when in Rome,

no wonder there are loads of people who come back to uk, only want uk food there is a uk shop in davenport road in tauranga but we never thought much of it,
i know things are expensive in nz , but they are in uk as well and kiwis seem two manage why cant the poms
maybe its just me,
Have you sen the state of kiwi clothing, You can't buy jeans to fit if you are short. so you buy your jeans then get them taken up, and then they dont look the same.
As for food, whats wrong with liking something from the other side of the world??? The uk shop in tauranga is pretty pants but if you look here....http://www.theenglishcornershop.co.nz/ you can get the little things that help you remember the good times back home..
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: m&s and next to nz

maybe its just me,
I agree with you... My view is that moving to the other side of the world is a big thing to do but just like having to leave family and friends behind at the airport in the UK people need to also leave the wanting for all things English back at the UK border.....They have left their own country for varying reasons and chosen NZ for differing reasons also. I wonder if they would have given up emigrating if they knew beforehand that we dont have all the UK goodies over here?

This is New Zealand not the UK and it is a special place in its own right, the country has managed for quite a few years now without the need for M&S Next etc etc.....Have they ever considered maybe kiwis dont want everything UK in New Zealand and is it not all the more special then when they do return to the UK for a holiday to buy all the treats that they miss so badly....

It takes a while to get used to the taste of different food items but you do get used to it the same way as you get used to making do with whats on offer clothing wise....If they can't get over it then im sure the option is always there to shop online....I have to admit though i do get a bit sick of listening to the oh if only we could get m&s etc things would be sweet i say build a bridge and get over it.....Theres nothing worse than over hearing this sort of comment from a british accent when out shopping....OK bring in the firing squad im ready......
Old Nov 14th 2009, 2:34 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

maybe its just me,
Perhaps love! Some English people like myself take pride in our appearance and don't want take walk round in bare feet and all
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by cally49
I agree with you... My view is that moving to the other side of the world is a big thing to do but just like having to leave family and friends behind at the airport in the UK people need to also leave the wanting for all things English back at the UK border.....They have left their own country for varying reasons and chosen NZ for differing reasons also. I wonder if they would have given up emigrating if they knew beforehand that we dont have all the UK goodies over here?

This is New Zealand not the UK and it is a special place in its own right, the country has managed for quite a few years now without the need for M&S Next etc etc.....Have they ever considered maybe kiwis dont want everything UK in New Zealand and is it not all the more special then when they do return to the UK for a holiday to buy all the treats that they miss so badly....

It takes a while to get used to the taste of different food items but you do get used to it the same way as you get used to making do with whats on offer clothing wise....If they can't get over it then im sure the option is always there to shop online....I have to admit though i do get a bit sick of listening to the oh if only we could get m&s etc things would be sweet i say build a bridge and get over it.....Theres nothing worse than over hearing this sort of comment from a british accent when out shopping....OK bring in the firing squad im ready......
I just miss the clothes shops in the uk but I don't buy them online but I make do with shanton, farmers etc... I can't buy so
Many clothes here they are expensive and fall apart
Here but such is life , now food from the uk I don't miss
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:36 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen more than one Kiwi in the POM shop buying stuff they remember from their OE, and I don't hear anyone moaning that the Kiwi Shop in London shouldn't be allowed either

At the end of the day, what does it matter what people CHOOSE to spend their dollars on. If you choose not to shop there, well all well and good, but don't harrass those that do

And just for the record, I've shopped in both the Pom shop in NZ and the Kiwi shop in the UK in my time
Old Nov 14th 2009, 3:52 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

I see concretpump's point...

However I miss Percy pigs SOOOO much... lol

I guess there's no harm in treating yourself from time to time with stuff from back home...

Chill out people...

How I open a box of NZ wines for everyone???
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by Matewx
I see concretpump's point...

However I miss Percy pigs SOOOO much... lol

I guess there's no harm in treating yourself from time to time with stuff from back home...

Chill out people...

How I open a box of NZ wines for everyone???
Ooh did you say wine ! count me in
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

maybe its just me,
Yeah I agree with you mate. I left the old world well behind..and everything in it. I wanted a new life and don't hanker for ought from the UK except courteous driving. I am even used to kiwi TV now shite as it is..still I wasn't a huge lover of TV in the UK anyways. Just courteous driving will do.
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Next and M&s are not really my thang, a bit conservative for me, but I do import a bit, [mainly footwear from the US] and I reserve my right to do this[!!!].

I don't think New Zealand made/designed clothing or items in general are badly made/designed; on the contrary they are well made but pricey.

However how many of us are sitting round in British made clothing? Not many Benny.

When did someone round these parts last purchase a piece of clothing made in UK?? What a Pringle jumper maybe??
Actually I think NZ does knitwear rather well....good cuts, good use of colour but it will cost, just as a British made garment will....

I have a friend in Aus. who regularly imports from New Zealand for her retail outlet. Exporting clothing from this country is reasonably big industry, not up there with milk products I admit but not to be sniffed at. So the NZ clothing manufacturing industry must be doing something right.

The quality of Next and M&S is good enough and they have pitched to their market with the correct pricing but personally I find it pretty uninspiring; especially Next.

I'm and LK Bennett kind of girl, but their shipping charges are just downright unreasonable so I have to live without
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Why oh why do people think its such a bad thing to want things you like from
the UK or over seas ?
Lets be honest, kiwi fashion (especially for women) takes some getting used to and if
its not your style then why wear it if there is an option.
In the uk there are shops where you can buy french, italian, american clothes yet
in NZ those options are VERY thin on the ground so why shouldnt people who have
been used to a certain level of choice and style deny themselves the luxury of clothes they
like and make them feel good ?
Lets be honest not everyone wants to wear cheap NZ utility style clothing
from the warehouse, caroline eve or postie+
For the ladies out there i'm guessing you can only have so many vests,
crop pants and zip up sweaters in your wardrobe.
Mrs colandros has just had a load of 15 denier tights shipped over, she told a kiwi
lady she worked with who had to ask "whats a denier"
nuff said
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by colandros
Why oh why do people think its such a bad thing to want things you like from
the UK or over seas ?
Lets be honest, kiwi fashion (especially for women) takes some getting used to and if
its not your style then why wear it if there is an option.
In the uk there are shops where you can buy french, italian, american clothes yet
in NZ those options are VERY thin on the ground so why shouldnt people who have
been used to a certain level of choice and style deny themselves the luxury of clothes they
like and make them feel good ?
Lets be honest not everyone wants to wear cheap NZ utility style clothing
from the warehouse, caroline eve or postie+
For the ladies out there i'm guessing you can only have so many vests,
crop pants and zip up sweaters in your wardrobe.
Mrs colandros has just had a load of 15 denier tights shipped over, she told a kiwi
lady she worked with who had to ask "whats a denier"
nuff said
uum we have a shop selling American clothes in Wanganui, and 15 denier tights can be bought in Farmers actually

surpree is good for young styles and Just looking is nice but bloody expensive!

I was a New look Dorothy Perkins type of woman oh and H and M

but I look good in most things!
Old Nov 14th 2009, 4:57 am
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

personally my interest in which uk shops ship here has been much more about being able to tell family/friends in the uk who want to send birthday and christmas prezzies (for kids particularly)... this is primarily because whilst internet shopping is a growing phenomenon here, it's still a very small, quite restricted market in comparison to the uk... my personal preference is for people to actually choose a gift rather than send money and ask us to buy something, which is the other option of course (or no gift at all i guess!).

when we were in the uk we used to send stuff from the uk to friends here, and occasionally we'd send vouchers for shops here in nz, but our friends (kiwis, i hasten to add) much preferred receiving something we'd chosen for them in the uk.

family and friends also buy stuff and post it themselves of course, but sometimes the shipping rates (i guess due to economies of scale) are more reasonable for the company to send direct rather than going through the post office etc. (and it's a whole lot less hassle too )

when we were in the uk we regularly bought stuff from overseas cos it was cheaper or better quality or (often) unavailable in the uk, and i don't see the difference just cos we're living in NZ (cue the buy local/support local business arguments... a different thread that i think)

we don't often buy stuff at the brit shop (other than tea bags ) but quite often purchase things at the Dutch shop here, or any number of the Asian supermarkets... and we only ever bought NZ wine when we were in the uk... funnily enough we've not bought Tim Tams here for ages, but they were a regular feature in our uk biscuit tin (can't afford one here of course )

just my two penn'orth or should that be cents i wonder as i'm in rome

(i've also just saved a fortune on shipping birthday and christmas prezzies within the uk cos M&S are doing 1p delivery for a few days, and i wouldn't have known that if i'd not seen it on here - so thanks MOSO!)
Old Nov 14th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by love30stm
Perhaps love! Some English people like myself take pride in our appearance and don't want take walk round in bare feet and all
but thats my, point kiwis do walk around in bare feet i used to drive in bare feet more comfortable, than with jandels
nz is built on the out door life, shorts and singlet, the first time we went i was shocked to see bank employes wearing shorts never see that in uk
but things like that make it stand out from the rest of the world

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.