British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Lunch in Birkenhead, Auckland on Easter Sunday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/lunch-birkenhead-auckland-easter-sunday-873731/)

Snap Shot Mar 4th 2016 5:09 am

Lunch in Birkenhead, Auckland on Easter Sunday

We (my husband and I) are taking an elderly relative to lunch on Easter Sunday. Any suggestions for a lunch venue in Birkenhead on the North Shore of Auckland ?

The Birkenhead Brewing Company doesn't really much in the way of food. I tried to book at an upmarket place, 'Eight point Two' but they e-mailed back to say they are closed at Easter :thumbdown:

It doesn't have to be ultra posh but hopefully a bit better than average as it's a treat. Preferably not Asian food. On the shore ? Am I kidding ?

Any thoughts ?

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 5th 2016 9:51 pm

Re: Lunch in Birkenhead, Auckland on Easter Sunday

My favourite place to go on the shore is Bolero at the Albany Westfield. It's near the cinema. I don't often head to the shore to eat, so can't really help you I'm afraid. Have you thought of doing High Tea somewhere? The Langham does a fabulous one, Stamford Plaza is good. Also worth looking at The Peace and Plenty Inn at Devonport. You can choose a hat to wear there which is a bit of fun.

Just a thought.

Snap Shot Mar 6th 2016 1:23 am

Thanks. Some good suggestions there. Afternoon tea won't really work on this occasion unfortunately.

Easter Sunday is in danger of becoming hectic.

My husband has a friend of long standing who is arriving from Britain with his wife and children in the early hours of Easter Sunday morning at Auckland airport. He has asked us to visit him where they are staying in Kumeu. Probably a mid-morning visit details tba.

Lunch will be a brief affair at Pinot Plus in Takapuna. My husband has booked a table there and has already been advised they can't serve alcohol what with it being Easter Sunday. Easter alcohol licensing laws and all that.

The relative we are taking to lunch is going to be in a state of flux, so to speak, as she is moving house after 40 years of living there. Sadly she lost her husband just over a year ago.

Then after returning her home we return to Dairy Flat to collect the MIL and take her home before being onward bound to Taupo where we will break our journey home.

tangelo Mar 11th 2016 1:17 am

You could try the Good Home in Birkenhead they do food. Or there are plenty of nice places out Kumeu way if that's where you're coming from. Riverhead Tavern is nice but always busy, you'd need to book. The Brigham does lunches and is a nice setting. The wineries e.g. Coopers Creek, Soljans do food too. There's also an Italian in Birkenhead but we haven't tried it yet - look up Abruzzo. You can try Zomato for reviews of all these places.

Snap Shot Mar 11th 2016 2:18 am

Thanks, I've phoned, 'The Good Home' it looks good, but they don't know whether they will be open on Easter Sunday. That's the problem I'm coming up against again and again because of the Easter licensing laws. They could open, just not sell alcohol but these places don't seem to keen on that, I guess it's just not worth their while.

Snap Shot Mar 29th 2016 1:41 am

[QUOTE=tangelo;11892237]You could try the Good Home in Birkenhead they do food. Or there are plenty of nice places out Kumeu way if that's where you're coming from. Riverhead Tavern is nice but always busy/QUOTE]

Thanks. We booked at, 'The Good Home' in Birkenhead. It was just right. I couldn't believe we were the only customers in there ! Another table of four turned up shortly before we left, but, apart from that, we had the place to ourselves.

We ordered our food then our drinks. No problem with serving alcohol on Easter Sunday, it just has to be served with a meal to satisfy the Easter Sunday licensing laws. Simples.

The Riverhead Tavern was great too. Very busy what with it being a popular social function venue as well.

All good.