British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Luggage limits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/luggage-limits-441726/)

nero Apr 12th 2007 7:44 pm

Luggage limits

I hear that their are some airlines that allow you greater luggage limits than 20kg per person and you do not have to pay for excess luggage.

Can anyone tell me which companies they are? Plus what the limit is? I know Jamaican Airlines allow 32 Kg per person, but that is not very helpful as they do not fly to NZ :rofl:

Apple12 Apr 12th 2007 7:54 pm

Re: Luggage limits

Originally Posted by nero (Post 4633368)
I hear that their are some airlines that allow you greater luggage limits than 20kg per person and you do not have to pay for excess luggage.

Can anyone tell me which companies they are? Plus what the limit is? I know Jamaican Airlines allow 32 Kg per person, but that is not very helpful as they do not fly to NZ :rofl:

A year ago it was:
Travel via the US and get a large amount of luggage = 32 kg
Travel via Asia and get less = 23 kg.

The rules might have changed, this is a good question for a travel agent, they should be able to advise on the current rules.

Wilma & co Apr 12th 2007 9:36 pm

Agree with Apple12 - think it depends on the route you fly, rather than the airline (but I could be wrong!!). We flew via LA with Air NewZealand to get the bigger luggage allowance.

TeamEmbo Apr 12th 2007 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by nero (Post 4633368)

Hi
We've just got this info from Air New Zealand - 2 suitcases of 23kg each per person (so total 46kg per person) if travelling London - Los Angeles - NZ route.

1 suitcase of 20kg per person if flying London - Hong Kong - NZ route.

Then you have hand luggage on top of 7kg.

Hope this helps.

Mandie xx:)

hazeandsteve Apr 22nd 2007 10:01 am

Due to the difference in ticket costs going the LA route, we have gone for "unnacompanied baggage."
We flew 110kg of tools and clothing, and the cost was a tidy £480, it would have been closer to £1500 for excess baggage charges.
This only worked for us though as I stamped my feet and insisted on Premium Economy for the migration flight.

TeamEmbo Apr 22nd 2007 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve (Post 4680069)
Due to the difference in ticket costs going the LA route, we have gone for "unnacompanied baggage."
We flew 110kg of tools and clothing, and the cost was a tidy £480, it would have been closer to £1500 for excess baggage charges.
This only worked for us though as I stamped my feet and insisted on Premium Economy for the migration flight.

We were going to go Air NZ again when we emigrate as this gives us 184kg in total for us & 2 kids without our hand luggage allowance with no excess charges and flights come to £1,600 for the 4 of us. Who did you fly with?

hazeandsteve Apr 23rd 2007 7:33 am

Air NZ.
Once we knew our dates, didn't want to risk missing out on the legroom with a last minute booking. They were just so much cheaper than any other airline for a one way, in advance, ticket.