British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Luggage Allowance... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/luggage-allowance-595256/)

Matewx Mar 3rd 2009 5:50 pm

Luggage Allowance...

Hi all,
I am soon to relocate to Auckland, and my employer will organise my flight out...
I am told that flights through HK/Singapore/etc are with 1bag of 20KG allowance... But that flights through the US (LA/San Fran) are with up to 2bags of 46KG combines weight...

Any tips on this??

THANK YOU!!

zummerzet_lou Mar 3rd 2009 6:07 pm

Re: Luggage Allowance...

Yes, if you come via LAX, you get twice the baggage allowance.

2 x 23kgs of checked in luggage
1x 7kg hand luggage + handbag +/or laptop.

HTH

Yummy_Mummy Mar 3rd 2009 6:16 pm

Hey

I have been looking into this. As so has my friend who is emigrating in 10 weeks :blink:

If you fly with Emirates, they will give you 50kg. Provided you show them your visas and if it is your first time using that visa. I think other companies generally allow you to have 40kg each, if u tell them that you have a visa and are emigrating to that country.

Also most (lucky) people get away with excess baggage over these limits due to their situation.

But i think you need to tell them that its one way on a PR visa.

Good luck :p

Caz xx

Matewx Mar 3rd 2009 6:18 pm

Oh really??
Am off on a Work Visa not a PR...
I'll make some enquiries though!

Thanks

chubnut Mar 5th 2009 9:19 am

Hi,
We flew out on 27th Feb with cathay pacific with the first leg from Manchester to Heathrow. We had 40kg in one case and 29kg in the other after explaining that we were emigrating they smiled and told us to lose 17kg from 1 case and 6 from the other. They didnt give a toss at all and were ready to charge us £33 per kg over the 23kg allowance. So i would make sure about this before you end up with all your personals all over the airport. British Airways suck.

CarolineSwan Mar 5th 2009 6:33 pm

apparently all the extra allowence has been scrapped going the other way, something to do with there laws. only way now is via america which was a great flight and stop over for us

Team-Reynolds Mar 10th 2009 8:57 am

Hi There
We arrived on the 25th Feb and flew with Air NZ all the way from UK to LA stopped for a week for Disney visit etc and sleep of jet lag. Then LA to Auckland and on to Welly. We had the 2 bags each allowance (46kg) and we had no probs as long as one of the bags doesnt weight over 30kg for health and saftey reasons.
Must say Air NZ were fantastic, no problems, great staff etc.
Hope this helps :)

over50 Mar 10th 2009 3:07 pm

Air singapore flying via Changi to CHC allows you 2x 23kg luggage each person so long as you have PR status. I e.mailed singapore airlines and got this in black and white, it says inform the extra baggage allowance at checkin. We are taking the e.mail with us so ther is no confusion and to make entirely sure rung them aswell to confirm. Air NZ end for internal flight we will have to pay for extra bag so no probs hopefully.:)

zoglet Mar 10th 2009 5:08 pm

Air singapore flying via Changi to CHC allows you 2x 23kg luggage each person so long as you have PR status. I e.mailed singapore airlines and got this in black and white, it says inform the extra baggage allowance at checkin. We are taking the e.mail with us so ther is no confusion and to make entirely sure rung them aswell to confirm.

Hi Have just booked our tickets for NZ, also with Singapore Airlines (via Singapore). Yo wouldn't happen to be able to forward me the email address you used to confirm the extra baggage allowance would you by any chance?

Thanks in advance

over50 Mar 10th 2009 5:20 pm

All I did was used the contact address on the website or just give them a ring, I am a bit topsey turvy here at the minute if I find it later on I will post via pm to you, but it is easy just give them a ring or use the contact email. Hope this helps sorry about the dithering but we painting and finishing off garden stuff here at the minute for removals coming in next week to collect.
Good luck.
Dee.:thumbup:

over50 Mar 10th 2009 5:24 pm

[email protected] was the e.mail I used and just labelled it baggage enquiry.

zoglet Mar 10th 2009 5:25 pm

Thanks for that! :)

over50 Mar 10th 2009 5:28 pm

your very welcome :)