British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Loving Nelson (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/loving-nelson-627390/)

Tougal Aug 25th 2009 8:30 am

Loving Nelson

Hi

We are a Scottish family (with 2 girls aged 11 and 14) who visited Nelson last year for a one month stay with my sister and absolutely loved the area. We are desperately keen to move but stuck for the moment due to downturn in house sales. Have applied for some jobs for hubby but too many NZ applicants available just now because of recession so not making much headway. Thinking of going over as visitors if house does sell and taking a chance of getting at least work visas with view to applying for permanent residency. Children are in 1st and 4th year at secondary school so want to move before oldest sits exams next year.

Would like to make contact with anyone in similar position or anyone who has already moved in similar circumstances. Cheers

BEVS Aug 25th 2009 9:39 am

Re: Loving Nelson

What is your line of employment? Is it on the long term shortage list?

I wouldn't want to put you off but this is NZ recession and Nelson is sunshine dollars. We know because we live here.

This sounds extremely risky to me at this moment in time, but there again that is only my opinion.

Have applied for some jobs for hubby but too many NZ applicants available just now because of recession
Not 'too many' as such but if there are NZ residents or citizens for the job then that job should not go to your husband as a matter of NZIS and NZ policy.

Tougal Aug 25th 2009 9:53 am

Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate your comment about job situation and of course that is how it should be. Hubby is ex-banker, now golf club manager (finance/staff/admin) and I have twenty years in legal secretarial/accounts administration so no, not on long term shortage list. I guess we are hoping that we could at least gain employment and apply for work visas in the first instance and I know this is a risky strategy. However I always have in my head my dad's maxim that "there are always jobs for those that want them and are willing to work" so that may be my reasoning for us taking a gamble if and when the opportunity arises ! have found this site very useful for info but am bearing in mind that in most cases the replies will be personal opinion of the poster and we are all different aren't we ? Do you have any idea how long (roughly speaking) it takes to process an application for a work visa while in NZ ?

BEVS Aug 25th 2009 10:05 am

To be honest , right at this moment , it isn't about how different we all are as people. It will be about whether there is an income for you here, or not. A job , or not. PR at the end of a temporary work visa or not. For many Nz people , they are on short hours and many have now no work.

If you are not on the long term shortage list , then an NZ employer cannot offer you the job over an NZ citizen or resident.

If the occupation is on the immediate shortage list, then the employer can offer you work . This is for temporary work visas/permits only.

No-one can say exactly how long a temp work visa/permit will take to process.

NZIS will have something on their website for time-lines .

Your risk of course.