British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Lots of questions pt 4 - re: schools (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/lots-questions-pt-4-re-schools-330827/)

JaneAS Oct 11th 2005 5:31 pm

Lots of questions pt 4 - re: schools

Hi folks. My last batch of questions:

Schools
23 I know the academic year starts in January, but if you move half way through the year, does your child have to wait until January to go back to school? Or just the next term?

24 How can we find out how good a school is, and what choices there are within an area?

25 How does the school day compare to that in the UK? (primary school)

26 Is there any emphasis on sports?

27 Do they have after school clubs / groups?

28 Are school holidays comparable with those in the UK?

General questions

29 Is the general rule to rent furnished accommodation on arrival (e.g. holiday rental) while you sort out a longer term let, then wait for furniture and fittings to arrive?

30 Cubs / Scouts – does anyone know if they have these in NZ?

31 Is the general recommendation to rent a car first, while getting to grips with buying one? Or to ship one across from the UK?

32 Prescriptions from the GP (e.g. contraceptive pill , blood pressure pills) – I guess we just take as much as we can with us, then sort out the equivalent with a NZ doctor? The same I guess for disposable contact lenses?

33 Do they have a public library system like ours?

34 Is Sunday a religious day?

35 What is the postal system like? Do they have deliveries to the house?

36 Rubbish collection – is there a system like in the UK? Is recycling encouraged / mandated? Do you have to pay a private rubbish collector?

37 Do they deliver milk / groceries / newspapers?

38 Is there an equivalent to rates / council tax?

39 Do most houses come with / need a burglar alarm?

40 Is there much petty / major crime?

41 How does their labour government compare with ours?

42 What are the Police like? Are they more visible than in UK? And more plentiful?

43 How are the elderly treated by society? Do they struggle to get by, as in the UK?

44 Do any parts of NZ suffer from frequent earthquakes / floods?

Sorry to bombard you with them all at once, but there seem to be so many things I want to find out....

Thanks,
JaneAS

uk+kiwi Oct 11th 2005 6:21 pm

Re: Lots of questions pt 4 - re: schools

[QUOTE=JaneAS]

Hi Jane,

Hmm. Why all the questions? :D

Dave and Lyns Oct 11th 2005 7:30 pm

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]

Originally Posted by JaneAS

Hi Jane,

Hmm. Why all the questions? :D

I wish I thought of doing this - it sures saves keeping track of all the posts we have done for some of the minor questions :D

Have some karma Jane ;)

planty Oct 11th 2005 7:42 pm

In answer to floods

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10349833

Dave and Lyns Oct 11th 2005 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by planty

Remember to pack the ark and find good house insurance :D

footloose Oct 12th 2005 7:27 am

Schools
23 I know the academic year starts in January, but if you move half way through the year, does your child have to wait until January to go back to school? Or just the next term?

24 How can we find out how good a school is, and what choices there are within an area?

25 How does the school day compare to that in the UK? (primary school)

26 Is there any emphasis on sports?

27 Do they have after school clubs / groups?

28 Are school holidays comparable with those in the UK?

General questions

29 Is the general rule to rent furnished accommodation on arrival (e.g. holiday rental) while you sort out a longer term let, then wait for furniture and fittings to arrive?

30 Cubs / Scouts – does anyone know if they have these in NZ?

31 Is the general recommendation to rent a car first, while getting to grips with buying one? Or to ship one across from the UK?

32 Prescriptions from the GP (e.g. contraceptive pill , blood pressure pills) – I guess we just take as much as we can with us, then sort out the equivalent with a NZ doctor? The same I guess for disposable contact lenses?

36 Rubbish collection – is there a system like in the UK? Is recycling encouraged / mandated? Do you have to pay a private rubbish collector?

37 Do they deliver milk / groceries / newspapers?

38 Is there an equivalent to rates / council tax?

39 Do most houses come with / need a burglar alarm?

40 Is there much petty / major crime?

41 How does their labour government compare with ours?

42 What are the Police like? Are they more visible than in UK? And more plentiful?

43 How are the elderly treated by society? Do they struggle to get by, as in the UK?

Sorry to bombard you with them all at once, but there seem to be so many things I want to find out....

Thanks,
JaneAS

To help with schools visit http://www.ero.govt.nz/
It is reports on schools by the inspectors. Goto the search link and type in the area/town you are thinking of moving to. It will then give you a list of the schools and their recent reports.

Scott

babybella Oct 12th 2005 8:58 am

Thanks,
JaneAS

Hi Guys,
haven't posted for a while but stuck at home with a sick kid so thought I would have a look in. Couldn't resist a reply to this one!
NZ life is not that dissimilar to the UK except of course fewer people and less stress.
I think you are going to have a head explosion if you have so many mad questions!
As far as schools, in the state system you just roll up to the school with kids in tow, if you like it and they have space the kid starts there and then.
Uni places also easier to apply for, my son is on route on 3 Nov back to NZ to start in Feb. Course that now means I get to go back once a year to check on him, yees!
Cheers
KAZ
ps anybody seen Deb lately.

Gill and Rob Oct 12th 2005 9:27 am

Couple of tips.... buy some books about NZ and read them - or even go to the library and borrow them.

Then return to forum with some sensible question, so that you don't look quite so foolish...e.g. Q44.

Gill

uk+kiwi Oct 12th 2005 9:51 am

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Couple of tips.... buy some books about NZ and read them - or even go to the library and borrow them.

Then return to forum with some sensible question, so that you don't look quite so foolish...e.g. Q44.

Gill

Good advice Gill, my original reply contained something similar but then I thought there is a very very very small chance that these questions are genuine and not a complete wind-up (although I doubt it) and I don't like to be rude or offend people I don't even know!

Hope things are well with you. Carmen. :)

babybella Oct 12th 2005 9:55 am

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Good advice Gill, my original reply contained something similar but then I thought there is a very very very small chance that these questions are genuine and not a complete wind-up (although I doubt it) and I don't like to be rude or offend people I don't even know!

Hope things are well with you. Carmen. :)

see my response to the work questions, it's got to be a wind up. Nobody could be that thick 'Is sunday a holy day' I mean come on!
KAZ

uk+kiwi Oct 12th 2005 10:03 am

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
see my response to the work questions, it's got to be a wind up. Nobody could be that thick 'Is sunday a holy day' I mean come on!
KAZ

Exactly! I found myself laughing, but no-one else seemed to think it was a wind-up and started being really helpful!!!! :D

babybella Oct 12th 2005 10:10 am

Exactly! I found myself laughing, but no-one else seemed to think it was a wind-up and started being really helpful!!!! :D

It is pretty funny. This forum has got a bit too lets all play nicely lately. I liked it better when wardle annoyed everyone but he got banned for that and Deb used to be rude to everyone (Hope she's not peeking in) What is not so funny is that I got engossed and have messed up my morning with the nut job.
I still have an assignment to do, I think I am avoiding it.
KAZ :D

uk+kiwi Oct 12th 2005 10:20 am

It is pretty funny. This forum has got a bit too lets all play nicely lately. I liked it better when wardle annoyed everyone but he got banned for that and Deb used to be rude to everyone (Hope she's not peeking in) What is not so funny is that I got engossed and have messed up my morning with the nut job.

KAZ - I'm convinced it's somebody we know who either got banned or moved overseas and forgot a password so started again with a new username.

Come out come out whoever you are!! :D

babybella Oct 12th 2005 11:17 am

KAZ - I'm convinced it's somebody we know who either got banned or moved overseas and forgot a password so started again with a new username.

Come out come out whoever you are!! :D

I vote for either KJP or PS Wardle, get out of your troll hole and show yourself!

Debs70 Oct 12th 2005 11:41 am

Cheeky Cow! :D

Kaz.. am on dial up (long story) so hardly get on.. will be back on BB v. soon to annoy the hell out of you :cool:

Debsx