British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Lots of questions pt 2 - re: Shopping & getting around (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/lots-questions-pt-2-re-shopping-getting-around-330822/)

JaneAS Oct 11th 2005 5:26 pm

Lots of questions pt 2 - re: Shopping & getting around

Hi folks. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and am jumping in properly now, with a mass of questions. This lot is all about shopping, and getting around:

Shopping
9 Is there a NZ equivalent to Marks & Spencer (for food / clothing)?

10 Are shops open every day?

11 Are UK newspapers / goods available anywhere?

12 Do they use a debit card / chip & pin system for buying goods, or is it mainly cash / cheque?

Getting around
17 I know they also drive on the left, but what are the roads like? Are they generally well repaired? Are they signposted clearly? Are 4x4 vehicles best for rural areas?

18 I’ve heard the standard of driving is not great (poor driving manners); does this just apply to the cities, or the rural areas as well?

19 I know the speed limits are lower than in the UK; are these rigidly applied? How frequent and severe are speeding offences?

Thanks,
JaneAS

Buzzy--Bee Oct 11th 2005 6:52 pm

Re: Lots of questions pt 2 - re: Shopping & getting around

Originally Posted by JaneAS
Hi folks. I've been lurking for a few weeks, and am jumping in properly now, with a mass of questions. This lot is all about shopping, and getting around:

Shopping
9 Is there a NZ equivalent to Marks & Spencer (for food / clothing)?

10 Are shops open every day?

11 Are UK newspapers / goods available anywhere?

12 Do they use a debit card / chip & pin system for buying goods, or is it mainly cash / cheque?

Getting around
17 I know they also drive on the left, but what are the roads like? Are they generally well repaired? Are they signposted clearly? Are 4x4 vehicles best for rural areas?

18 I’ve heard the standard of driving is not great (poor driving manners); does this just apply to the cities, or the rural areas as well?

19 I know the speed limits are lower than in the UK; are these rigidly applied? How frequent and severe are speeding offences?

Thanks,
JaneAS

9. Nothing as good as M&S. Try Farmers, the Warehouse for cheap stuff.
10. Some are but hours are greatly reduced. Most shops are closed by 5pm except supermarkets. Many shut Saturdy afternoon and Sunday.
11. In the major centres there are versions of UK newspapers available on a weekly basis.
12.Debit card - called EFTPOS. Cash also, cheques not used much.
17. Roads are 1 lane each way in most places. Mostly well repaired due to low volume of traffic. All cars will do for rural areas. Signposting is OK but there is not normally a choice of routes anyway.
18. Worst driving in western world, everywhere.
19. well enforced with high fines

turkeytickler Oct 20th 2005 10:58 pm

Re: Lots of questions pt 2 - re: Shopping & getting around

Not sure if you feel this is relevant to you but since im a cyclist and i personally feel strongly about sustainable transport etc etc (i wont bore you) bear in mind NZ is really built around the americal urban model with out of town shopping malls - soulless town centres and 100% car dependancy.

Pretty grim getting about in NZ if you ask me.... especially when your only choice is to run the gauntlet with the native drivers......