Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lots of advice please

Lots of advice please

Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:11 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of advice please

Originally Posted by garethwm
Some feel their life has improved by moving here, some dont.
Is there any study showing immigrants are over-represented in the rates?
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Thank god we dont all conform to Govt statistics averages.

Your theory on genes is simply flawed, you can’t hold up genetic factors as a cause within NZ (which it may be) AND have that apply to immigrants as they literally come from a different gene pool.

My point (having done it - have you?), was that moving a teenager 50miles can be as traumatic for them as across the world, many factors are identical.

But of course every generation loves to blame their parents...
Your argument is flawed regarding distance. If a teenager lives 50 miles from friends/family, they can still visit them with a short commute on the same day and have the same creature comforts of being in the same country. That's not the case with being the other side of the world - thought that would be plain obvious?

If you read my response correctly, I stated some of the general youth suicide rate is down to genetics, but drugs, isolation and financial circumstances are also a factor. What part of my response did I state that genetic factors apply to immigrants? I'd like to know where you got that from
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I read Simonsi that young Maori males account for a lot of the numbers. There are many different opinions as to why. Dont know if theres been any studies regarding immigrants.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 12:39 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
I read Simonsi that young Maori males account for a lot of the numbers. There are many different opinions as to why. Dont know if theres been any studies regarding immigrants.
Indeed, I was confused by your reference to some feeling it has improved their lives etc, that would only apply to immigrants and not to the NZ gene pool, hence if we are discussing the prevalence of suicide and it possible genetic link, immigrants would be exposed to that particular risk.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 12:49 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by A4Ron
Your argument is flawed regarding distance. If a teenager lives 50 miles from friends/family, they can still visit them with a short commute on the same day and have the same creature comforts of being in the same country. That's not the case with being the other side of the world - thought that would be plain obvious?

If you read my response correctly, I stated some of the general youth suicide rate is down to genetics, but drugs, isolation and financial circumstances are also a factor. What part of my response did I state that genetic factors apply to immigrants? I'd like to know where you got that from
Its fairly obvious to me that a 50mile move means new schools - and generally teenagers don't have time or money to commute to see the old friend circle, hence the impact is actually quite comparable - right at a time when such changes can have a great effect on them.

Do you have teenagers or is this academic for you?

You brought up gene effects in the context of immigrants and increased suicide risk - please explain how immigrants are exposed to an NZ gene pool added risk of suicide?

But to be honest this whole point is moot - you clearly blame your parents for your own situation and want to tar anyone wanting to make the same move with the same, biased, brush you used. Everyone else is clearly naive and hasn't looked at the <real> risks as <you> see them. Fortunately everyone else is free to make their own judgement calls on what is best for their families - taking <their> circumstances into account and <their> hopes for the future.

Oh and I've yet to see a perfect parent incapable of making any mistakes, they are generally however making the best decisions they can <without> being able to see the future.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

Its fairly obvious to me that a 50mile move means new schools - and generally teenagers don't have time or money to commute to see the old friend circle, hence the impact is actually quite comparable - right at a time when such changes can have a great effect on them.

Do you have teenagers or is this academic for you?

You brought up gene effects in the context of immigrants and increased suicide risk - please explain how immigrants are exposed to an NZ gene pool added risk of suicide?

But to be honest this whole point is moot - you clearly blame your parents for your own situation and want to tar anyone wanting to make the same move with the same, biased, brush you used. Everyone else is clearly naive and hasn't looked at the <real> risks as <you> see them. Fortunately everyone else is free to make their own judgement calls on what is best for their families - taking <their> circumstances into account and <their> hopes for the future.

Oh and I've yet to see a perfect parent incapable of making any mistakes, they are generally however making the best decisions they can <without> being able to see the future.
I've clearly touched a nerve with your many assumptions.

And yes I did move a c.30-40 mile distance as a young teenager and it was fairly easy to maintain the same social circle & visit grandparents because you're in the same country and can catch-up on a monthly basis if you desire... and I did just that as a teenager - public transport is handy for that. How are you not understanding that simple process is beyond me...

No, I brought up gene effects in context to NZ's youth suicide rate, among other issues, but you yourself have linked this to immigrants by your own accord because you didn't read my paragraph correctly (assumption). Please read it again.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 3:44 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by A4Ron
I've clearly touched a nerve with your many assumptions.

And yes I did move a c.30-40 mile distance as a young teenager and it was fairly easy to maintain the same social circle & visit grandparents because you're in the same country and can catch-up on a monthly basis if you desire... and I did just that as a teenager - public transport is handy for that. How are you not understanding that simple process is beyond me...

No, I brought up gene effects in context to NZ's youth suicide rate, among other issues, but you yourself have linked this to immigrants by your own accord because you didn't read my paragraph correctly (assumption). Please read it again.
Nope, just your arrogant, argumentative tone. You cleary don't want any help. Bye.
Old Apr 24th 2018, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Nope, just your arrogant, argumentative tone. You cleary don't want any help. Bye.
a) I'm not the one calling another member arrogant and argumentative when you started an argument in the first place. Note how I haven't attacked you at all

b) I wasn't asking for help, merely posted a reply to this thread.

c) If you're going to try and start an argument, you best be damn sure you don't stick assumptions into other's posts and then have the audacity to flake when you get called out on it.
Old Jun 2nd 2018, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Brendybf is an unknown quantity at this point

It does make me laugh how uptight people get on these sites. The OP is asking for advice, not abuse. Let's all just be decent human beings shall we?!
My advice to the OP would be research. I can't help with specifics as I'm here looking for advice about the move also. In my Internet 'travels' however I have found, as alway, a wealth of information - assuming you take it rationally as different people see things differently, you can get a pretty good idea of a place from people's experiences, if not necessarily their reactions to them. Good luck in whatever you do
Old Jun 18th 2018, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

movingtonewzealand is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't believe how off topic this thread has gone. Especially child suicide - how nice.

Anyway, my OH came here as a carpenter, found work very easily before he arrived in Christchurch. Sorry can't comment on schools as no kids.
You'd find a decent rental with three - four bed for around $500/week. You'll notice the houses are much worse than the UK as there's usually not much insulation. It gets cold in winter & expensive to heat.

We had never visited NZ before we arrived (shock horror!) and it took about 6 - 8 months to get used to the place. You'll find food is expensive, at least a third more than the UK.

However we seem to enjoy the outdoors and activities on offer much more than we did in UK. For us this is really important. If, like a few expats I know just want to spend your free time in pubs then NZ is not the place you want to be!

We love life here but definitely know it's not for everybody. Tons of people just exist and don't have the money to really LIVE.
Old Jun 19th 2018, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingtonewzealand
We love life here but definitely know it's not for everybody. Tons of people just exist and don't have the money to really LIVE.
Or to leave if it isnt for them
Old Jun 19th 2018, 7:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ok people.

1 - Anyone wishing to discuss the suicide issues in NZ , please open another thread.

2 - The OP is no longer posting to the thread.

3 - I may be a little short of patience.

No one abused the opening poster. No one. What was offered was sound helpful advice given the OPs eyes were set to Oz to be closer to immediate family & who can blame them for that. I pinged Oz people to help the OP. It seems they did have a chance.

Finally & I do get sick of writing this time and time again. It is not easy to up sticks at any time . No matter what the move . No matter why. So let's just stop and think a little before posting. We do not walk in each others shoes.

Thread closed.