Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lost in South Auckland

Lost in South Auckland

Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:31 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Lost in South Auckland

We (my family and I) got lost in south Auckland this afternoon, and must say what lovely areas Otahuhu, Papatoetoe and Otara are. The Saturday market in Otara was especially nice. Frankly we are at a loss as to why whenever a newbie questions "where to live in Auckland" everyone jumps to recommend "north shore", with the exception of SarahB who will allways fight the cause for Beachlands!!!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:33 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost in South Auckland

PS - we were also amazed at how close Otara is to Dannemora, Howick and Botany town centre!!!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by P18PPS
We (my family and I) got lost in south Auckland this afternoon, and must say what lovely areas Otahuhu, Papatoetoe and Otara are. The Saturday market in Otara was especially nice. Frankly we are at a loss as to why whenever a newbie questions "where to live in Auckland" everyone jumps to recommend "north shore", with the exception of SarahB who will allways fight the cause for Beachlands!!!
Lol.... you know me too well!!

We have been to that market a few times now, we havnt been lately but keep forgetting its on. We took my parents to it when they were here and they enjoyed it too. We always end up with some really nice fruit from there. You shouldve got your map and driven out this way and come to say hi to us!
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:58 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

To be honest I dont think Otahuhu and Otara are as bad as they used to be but in all honesty I would never recommend anyone to live there. Same for papatoetoe. I know people who have lived there and got out as soon as they could. The North Shore isnt a crime free area but it is a much safer bet than the above. I normally recommend the North shore because its the area I know and leave the recommendations for other parts of Auckland to others who know those areas best. Although I must say, Beachlands is a lovely area and if I drove, which I dont, I would quite happily live up that way too. Beachlands is too far out for a non driver like me.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

What an adventure!

Otahuhu is such a convenient place to live, what with the large bus depot
and the direct train from downtown Auckland.

ps
The bus depot photo was taken of a Thursday afternoon, 4:30 PM.
The train stop photo is exactly what you see when you take the ramp
down from the platform.
Attached Thumbnails Lost in South Auckland-otahuhudepot.jpg   Lost in South Auckland-otahuhutrain.jpg  
Old Apr 10th 2007, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by The Weezer
What an adventure!

Otahuhu is such a convenient place to live, what with the large bus depot
and the direct train from downtown Auckland.

ps
The bus depot photo was taken of a Thursday afternoon, 4:30 PM.
The train stop photo is exactly what you see when you take the ramp
down from the platform.
Gosh how convenient to have such wonderful amenities on your doorstep. Is that near to the Tui factory too, which in turn is adjacent to the local college? We thought the children who attended the college were extremely fortunate to have access to such wonderful recreational activities as the Tui factory. I really think that someone should be fighting the cause for south auckland it truly does have so much to offer, and I'm sure provides unquestionable value for money.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:09 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh how convenient to have such wonderful amenities on your doorstep. Is that near to the Tui factory too, which in turn is adjacent to the local college? We thought the children who attended the college were extremely fortunate to have access to such wonderful recreational activities as the Tui factory. I really think that someone should be fighting the cause for south auckland it truly does have so much to offer, and I'm sure provides unquestionable value for money.
I agree with you. I suppose because we don't have to worry about schools, areas have never seemed really important to me. I obviously wouldn't want to live somewhere I didn't feel safe but we lived in Bethnal Green in London and people at work turned their noses up when I said we'd bought there. Absolute crap - it was a great place to live

And, completely off topic, I saw a fax today from a solicitor called..Tui Speights
Old Apr 10th 2007, 10:01 am

I guess the moral of the story is you shouldn't knock anything until you've tried it, and one man's house is another man's castle etc etc.

PS I used to know someone called Tom Bowler..