Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

lost job on a work permit....

lost job on a work permit....

Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

onsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the rough
Default lost job on a work permit....

Hi guys..... what a bad week we've had...... my husband have just heard he has to leave his job and they will pay him ahead for 2 months........ his work permit is attached to that specific job so obviously if he doesn't find anything in 2 moonths we have to leave the country....... the only problem is we can't leave as we have put every last penny into coming here - and absolutally LOVING it here and DONT want to leave we only just got here in february and got 3 kids to support. I am still looking for a job that would fit with me having a baby but even if i found one - it is still tied to his work permit which is tied to that job he just lost.... bastards......

Help!!! what do we do - what is our rights? how long have we got? If we are in the process of residency would they give him more time to look for a job? I mean given the current situation in the job market... how is he going to find something so soon? He can work freelance but that won't help as its got to be a full time job... we are sooo stressed....
Old Jun 7th 2009, 12:09 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lost job on a work permit....

I'm sorry I can't help with your specific questions, but I would like to say I really feel for anyone losing a job in the current environment. It makes it tough, and if there is any fairness in the system I would hope that you might get a bit more time from NZIS to get another job. You should contact them direct, its better getting advice from the horse's mouth rather than from us amateurs.

I'm guessing there won't be any benefits available, so that too will be a consideration for you. Can I suggest, if you haven't already, putting up another thread with the line(s) of work you guys are in, and the BE network can maybe put our collective minds to helping with the job hunt...

Good luck with it all.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

jjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud ofjjthefridge has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by onsisoppad
Hi guys..... what a bad week we've had...... my husband have just heard he has to leave his job and they will pay him ahead for 2 months........ his work permit is attached to that specific job so obviously if he doesn't find anything in 2 moonths we have to leave the country....... the only problem is we can't leave as we have put every last penny into coming here - and absolutally LOVING it here and DONT want to leave we only just got here in february and got 3 kids to support. I am still looking for a job that would fit with me having a baby but even if i found one - it is still tied to his work permit which is tied to that job he just lost.... bastards......

Help!!! what do we do - what is our rights? how long have we got? If we are in the process of residency would they give him more time to look for a job? I mean given the current situation in the job market... how is he going to find something so soon? He can work freelance but that won't help as its got to be a full time job... we are sooo stressed....

hi,

sorry to hear about job what a bummer, is there much work around in oh line of work? just flood every one with cv and ring people alot, they'll either give him a job or tell him to bugger off, had thought about going work permit route when we come out, but think i'd rather do pr thing, seems safer option, but good luck with job, can don't forget keep smiling.

j.j.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:36 am
Just Joined

onsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the roughonsisoppad is a jewel in the rough

thanks for that. We wanted to do the PR thing right from the start but due to the fact we couldn't shift our property had no choice financially to come and do it over here..... If you can do that first then that is great....... good luck on your journey..... it is not for the faint hearted.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:11 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
So sorry to hear about your situation, I'll try and help but not been able to find much. I couldn't find a specific amount of time that you could stay in NZ after your work permit is cancelled. I presume you then apply for a visitors' permit as you would need to have a valid permit at all times-if it is valid for the usual 6m then at least you have a bit more time to find a job. Hopefully you will find another job and apply for another work permit, as JJ said just send off CVs to everyone! Could you apply for PR at the moment?
I think your best bet is to contact NZIS tomorrow and find out your options from them.
Wishing you all the best, good luck
Sue
Old Jun 7th 2009, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by onsisoppad

can you apply for permamnent residency now? if you are able to i would apply for that.
in the meantime you should try to target accredited employers and see if you can get a work to residency visa. you can both start looking for work, and if it means you working and him being a stay at home dad so be it.

There is some guidance i think for people who loose their work permits, i know its hard but the best may be to make an appointment to go and see NZIS and explain your situation. They will be more sympathetic to you if you come clean right away, try and get an appointment to see them to update them on your situation sooner rather than later. They will be best able to tell you what your timeframes etc are. dont try and hide it from them, be upfront as soon as possible.

good luck
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:29 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you will have looked this up, but just in case you haven't, this is from the NZ Immi website FAQ:

I'm no longer working for the same employer as when I was granted my permit. Does this affect my Work Permit?

If you’re here under a working holiday scheme, changing employers does not affect your Work Permit.

For all other workers, if your employer is named on your Work Permit, then you need to inform us that you’ve changed employer. You will need to apply for another Work Permit and must apply for a new permit when you have a job offer. You should not start work in your new job until you have a new Work Permit.

If you gained your permit because you secured a job with an accredited New Zealand employer, you’ll only be able to remain in New Zealand if you’re working for another accredited employer. Even if you find work with another accredited employer, we’ll still need to approve the arrangement

It doesn't make it clear though whether you would be able to stay if not working or whether you could apply for PR now knowing the job is ending. What line/s of work are your OH and yourself in?
Old Jun 8th 2009, 6:55 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to post to say best of luck and fingers crossed for you.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Wilderbeest is an unknown quantity at this point

What a terrible situation to be in, I do hope it works out for you all.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with everything