Lost and Confused

Old Feb 27th 2020, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lost and Confused

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
hallie_day - the comments about everything annoying you, I really get.

I have told my husband that if I feel that the bad days out weigh the good days I will leave with or without him. Saying that though it would only be once the youngest,14 atm, has left college and is set a career or travel daughter left at 17 and went back to UK, she is coming back this July but has her own plans which by all accounts, at the moment anyway, doesn't seem to involve staying in NZ for long.
I have this idea that maybe in 10 years time we will go house sitting around the islands and then maybe beyond.

Your travel back to UK should go well, 7 & 10 means at least they can handle quite a bit of the process themselves but also means you won't have time to fret about things as you will be looking out for them.
Thanks for your post.
I'm glad to hear there are good days :-)
I just can't see the wood for the trees at the moment.
How did it feel when your eldest went back? I think I would be distraught - in a lot of ways 17 is still so young.

Yes, we'll survive the travel and in some ways it may be easier on our own.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mishclark
I'm in Christchurch , I do love it though!

I first moved here about 11 years ago but personal circumstances took us back to Sydney. (I'm Australian ). I'm on my own though and have been for around 8 years so it was easier to sort myself out.

​​​​​​I chose to move back to Nz as I needed a fresh start and am lucky enough to have friends here. I still get a bit lonely as everyone is partnered off but I'm also good at doing things on my own, and there's plenty to discover in Canterbury.

My girls are 21 and 18, 21 is staying in Oz, 18 year old possibly joining me next year. It's up to her. There are advantages to this - I'm short and she's 6ft, I need someone to get stuff off the shelves I can't reach! 😊
Great to hear that you have found 'your' place.
And as another shorty with a 10 year old who is rapidly catching up, good to see teenagers have a use!
Old Feb 27th 2020, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallie_day
In a Countdown Instore ad today, a grown man said 'biccies' and chippies'.
Don't we all...

Old Feb 27th 2020, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
Don't we all...
My 12 year old niece and nephew speak in a more babyish voices than my 7 year old and I'm sure it's because of this sh*t.
Old Feb 27th 2020, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

I had a long swim today (ok, so the National Aquatic Centre is better than Tooting Leisure centre) and tried to work out tangible rather than emotional problems and this is where I got to and what I need to discuss with Husband.

If I take away the all-consuming homesickness that might or might not improve, and the current dislike of all things NZ, there are still outstanding problems about the move that for me are insurmountable.
I would not have come here if I had known:

Spend less time with the children
Our disposable income would plummet
Less annual leave and therefore fewer holidays (I've only just found out about the 10 days at xmas thing when I need 3 weeks in July for the UK. Ironically he is ok as he works for his own business and they are flexible re holiday)
My career/experience would be null and void and I have to start again
Work longer hours for less money
A poorer standard of education (in my opinion)

Most of these points assume I go back to work, but not doing so raises it's own set of problems
Old Feb 28th 2020, 6:23 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your post.
I'm glad to hear there are good days :-)
I just can't see the wood for the trees at the moment.
How did it feel when your eldest went back? I think I would be distraught - in a lot of ways 17 is still so young.

Yes, we'll survive the travel and in some ways it may be easier on our own.
Yes 17 is still young but she went with a friend and initially the friends mum went over with them and got them sorted in a flat, I say flat its an apartment on Chiswick High Road so you can imaging the cost. Anyway lots on FB messages back and forth, took her a while to get a job as no one wanted to hire her until she was 18. which was 8 weeks after she went, she also couldn't open a bank account with a debit card until she turned 18. She actually got a job as FOH in a posh French restaurant, in Chiswick, she speaks very good French. We now get messages like, Whos The Who as had had the singer in, ohh look photo with Ed Sheeren, Declan Donnelly was here and I touched him, you know that squid bloke from Pirates - she meant Bill Nighy. Her friend works in a cafe down the road and they have David Tennant and Kevin McNally in as regulars.
We're going over in July and she's coming back with us, her plan, she says, is work here for a few months then she will either go to Uni, she talking OZ for that but thats going to cost an arm and a leg or she going to go off travelling again looking at teaching English as a foreign language. I'm so impressed with her courage, she had a few truly awful years here so leaving for her was a very good move for her well being and take her out of the spiral.

Old Feb 28th 2020, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear that you have found 'your' place.
And as another shorty with a 10 year old who is rapidly catching up, good to see teenagers have a use!
Thank you Hallie, I have my days but overall my bucket is full and happy.

As for child number 2, people will find me scaling the shelves of Countdown to reach things until she decides whether ahe comes over or not. Otherwise I'll need to buy a step ladder to take out 😁
Old Feb 28th 2020, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

I had to check all of these replies...I didn't write them in my sleep did I? Seriously it's as if you have all taken the words out of my mouth. Long story short, husband in NZ and I'm in UK and we are rebuilding our relationship over Whatsapp. He isn't ready to return home so I'm going to give it another go in a couple of months. That will mean leaving a job and house but the loneliness is too much. I know it's not forever as he has a contract and has agreed to return to UK at the end of it. However I'm still worried that I might be making a mistake. We love each other but the third person in this relationship, I.e. NZ, is a thorn in my side. I'll be North Shore as well btw so think we should get together and form a support group. Not to moan but to connect and really support. Love to all. Thanks for listening!
Old Feb 28th 2020, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

In a Countdown Instore ad today, a grown man said 'biccies' and chippies'.
Yeah, nah, she'll be right. Honestly it's more contagious than Coronavirus - before you know it you'll be 'in amongst it' and 'sweet as' giving it heaps about lollies and chippies yourself.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Feb 28th 2020 at 9:21 am.
Old Feb 28th 2020, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Yeah, nah, she'll be right. Honestly it's more contagious than Coronavirus - before you know it you'll be 'in amongst it' and 'sweet as' giving it heaps about lollies and chippies yourself.
As an Aussie I can confirm I'm a step ahead in the lingo department, I don't even understand myself at times..
Old Feb 28th 2020, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a long swim today (ok, so the National Aquatic Centre is better than Tooting Leisure centre) and tried to work out tangible rather than emotional problems and this is where I got to and what I need to discuss with Husband.

If I take away the all-consuming homesickness that might or might not improve, and the current dislike of all things NZ, there are still outstanding problems about the move that for me are insurmountable.
I would not have come here if I had known:

Spend less time with the children
Our disposable income would plummet
Less annual leave and therefore fewer holidays (I've only just found out about the 10 days at xmas thing when I need 3 weeks in July for the UK. Ironically he is ok as he works for his own business and they are flexible re holiday)
My career/experience would be null and void and I have to start again
Work longer hours for less money
A poorer standard of education (in my opinion)

Most of these points assume I go back to work, but not doing so raises it's own set of problems
I think you need to stop trying to compare everything with back home if I'm honest. Especially money and wages and everything like that.
Everything is totally different I stopped comparing things after a month or it would have driven my crazy.
Just try and role with it there is plus sides and negatives to everything and variables.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
I think you need to stop trying to compare everything with back home if I'm honest. Especially money and wages and everything like that.
Everything is totally different I stopped comparing things after a month or it would have driven my crazy.
Just try and role with it there is plus sides and negatives to everything and variables.
Also the Xmas thing its a week you take and the rest is bank holidays the same in the UK.
Old Feb 29th 2020, 9:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
and "aa" at the end of every sentence ?
Old Feb 29th 2020, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
and "aa" at the end of every sentence ?
Ugh I don't do that, I think that's a Kiwi thing !
Old Mar 1st 2020, 6:53 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

husband did send me an app that helps you make friends in Auckland using a unique logarithm. I sent him an app for dating in your 40s for when I divorce him. Patronising twat.

I'm so sorry, I can't offer you any advice at the moment for PEEING meself laughing at that part of your post.
I've got my own issues at the moment and you made me laugh out loud - for real - with this......thanks for making me laugh for the first time in months

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.