Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:35 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 61
gazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the rough
Default Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Hi all
well we are almost there looking to rent somewhere near Wellington in April not too far from the city have looked on-line to get ideas of cost availabilty etc bit of a minefield not knowing good or bad areas. Just two adults so apartment or house as long as its in a safe area Hopefully both be working any suggestions on how much we should pay or any help greatfully received.
Have thought about maybe a holiday let for a couple of weeks to give us chance to scout around .
gazzer15 is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:01 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
simonmarkellis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Whitby Wellington
Posts: 2,440
simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by gazzer15 View Post
Hi all
well we are almost there looking to rent somewhere near Wellington in April not too far from the city have looked on-line to get ideas of cost availabilty etc bit of a minefield not knowing good or bad areas. Just two adults so apartment or house as long as its in a safe area Hopefully both be working any suggestions on how much we should pay or any help greatfully received.
Have thought about maybe a holiday let for a couple of weeks to give us chance to scout around .
Yep, good idea to get a holiday home for coupe of weeks while you decide where to set up camp more permanently. Have you tried looking at www.holidayhouses.co.nz or www.holidayhomes.co.nz, good places to start. I don't think you can go to wrong with holiday homes, most areas are pretty good.
simonmarkellis is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 6:37 pm
  #3  
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,118
dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

How about

www.ngaiohomestay.co.nz

or

Rita's B&B (can highly recommend and extremely reasonable - she charged us $60 a night)
55 Spencer Street, crofton Downs
04 934 5957

When you speak to them, tell them both you were recommended by Expat Katie.
dreamfish is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:10 pm
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Northland New Zealand
Posts: 587
phil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to beholdphil01 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by gazzer15 View Post
Hi all
well we are almost there looking to rent somewhere near Wellington in April not too far from the city have looked on-line to get ideas of cost availabilty etc bit of a minefield not knowing good or bad areas. Just two adults so apartment or house as long as its in a safe area Hopefully both be working any suggestions on how much we should pay or any help greatfully received.
Have thought about maybe a holiday let for a couple of weeks to give us chance to scout around .
Hi Gazzer, when you rent out here you are only tied in for 3 weeks...not 6 months as in the UK. So you can in fact look for any rental property.
phil01 is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:34 pm
  #5  
Maz
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,763
Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
Hi Gazzer, when you rent out here you are only tied in for 3 weeks...not 6 months as in the UK. So you can in fact look for any rental property.
Not entirely... We're tied in for 6 months, but have hopefully found new tenants. We're still paying rent and mortgage. And yes it's killing us financially!

gazzer, a few questions... how long are you looking to rent for? Do you want to buy pretty quickly? Any idea of the area / budget you're looking at? Here are some options we tried: Central City Apartments in Wellington. We got a larger apartment as we have a young daughter, so you'd be able to save on cost by getting a one-bedroom place. Also Aotea Lodge out in Papakowhai. Both the above have kitchenettes and the essentials you need for cooking. If you're coming in April you'll miss the Easter break which is good. We rented a holiday home last Easter for an absolutely exorbitant amount per night, simply because it was Easter. It was miles from anywhere too, so your timing is good.
Maz is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 9:19 pm
  #6  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 34,847
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by phil01 View Post
Hi Gazzer, when you rent out here you are only tied in for 3 weeks...not 6 months as in the UK. So you can in fact look for any rental property.
Yes. You need to make sure you only sign a 'Periodic Tenancy' and not a 'Fixed Term' , otherwise you could find yourselves financially tied into something you no longer need as Maz has stated..

Periodic - you only need give 3 weeks notice.

Also, make sure your bond goes to tenancy services.

Look for 'extras' that the landlord may requires and negotiate about these.

Possible rotten extras -
Professionally clean carpets
Find replacement tenant - what a blummin' cheek.

Go over the place , with your landlord, with a fine toothcomb. The landlord will certainly inspect after you have left. The landlord can withhold your bond if they feel that you need to recompense them in some way - in any way !

i.e.
service and tidy a garden after you have left.
replace net curtains
cleaning standards - they may request professional cleaners to come in if they are not satisfied.

Most landlords are great. We had terrible trouble with one and a dream with another.

This is New Zealand, you can try to haggle over the rent. We did on both occasions and brought the price down.
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:10 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 61
gazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
Yes. You need to make sure you only sign a 'Periodic Tenancy' and not a 'Fixed Term' , otherwise you could find yourselves financially tied into something you no longer need as Maz has stated..

Periodic - you only need give 3 weeks notice.

Also, make sure your bond goes to tenancy services.

Look for 'extras' that the landlord may requires and negotiate about these.

Possible rotten extras -
Professionally clean carpets
Find replacement tenant - what a blummin' cheek.

Go over the place , with your landlord, with a fine toothcomb. The landlord will certainly inspect after you have left. The landlord can withhold your bond if they feel that you need to recompense them in some way - in any way !

i.e.
service and tidy a garden after you have left.
replace net curtains
cleaning standards - they may request professional cleaners to come in if they are not satisfied.

Most landlords are great. We had terrible trouble with one and a dream with another.

This is New Zealand, you can try to haggle over the rent. We did on both occasions and brought the price down.
Thanks for the info Bev all details noted. Its great to know all this help is on hand. we are at present coming over on visiters visa unless we get an offer in the mean time one or two irons in the fire! Cant wait to meet you all. Garry & Lyn
gazzer15 is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 12:14 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Tauranga
Posts: 61
gazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the roughgazzer15 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Not entirely... We're tied in for 6 months, but have hopefully found new tenants. We're still paying rent and mortgage. And yes it's killing us financially!

gazzer, a few questions... how long are you looking to rent for? Do you want to buy pretty quickly? Any idea of the area / budget you're looking at? Here are some options we tried: Central City Apartments in Wellington. We got a larger apartment as we have a young daughter, so you'd be able to save on cost by getting a one-bedroom place. Also Aotea Lodge out in Papakowhai. Both the above have kitchenettes and the essentials you need for cooking. If you're coming in April you'll miss the Easter break which is good. We rented a holiday home last Easter for an absolutely exorbitant amount per night, simply because it was Easter. It was miles from anywhere too, so your timing is good.
We are hoping to secure work then yes if all is ok we will look to buy at present the target area is Wellington or very near that could change with a job offer! Probably looking to rent between 3-6 mths How are you settling in ?
gazzer15 is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2008, 6:44 pm
  #9  
Maz
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 5,763
Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to rent short term Help!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by gazzer15 View Post
We are hoping to secure work then yes if all is ok we will look to buy at present the target area is Wellington or very near that could change with a job offer! Probably looking to rent between 3-6 mths How are you settling in ?
Well it's a pretty big area... tons of different regions and suburbs. We're nicely settled in now, thank you. Very much at home.
Maz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.