Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for plumbing information for NZ?

Looking for plumbing information for NZ?

Old Dec 6th 2007, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

larneylee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for plumbing information for NZ?

Hello,

I thought I might ask if anyone knows the current rules or requirements for plumbers wanting to enter into New Zealand. You hear a lot of things through the grape vine and it has become somewhat confusing. I hear qualified plumbers are accepted with relative ease, then I hear you need a NVQ level 3 from the UK to qualify and I have also heard that a NVQ level 2 is sufficient plus work experience? An NVQ level 3 now takes 2 years at one day per week at college and you have to do the gas corgi with that; but if your not interested in doing gas then there is no other way of doing a level 3 Plumbing.

Would I be deemed 'more employable' have additional plumbing tickets under my belt before applying for my visa? Are these extra tickets/qualifications(say Solar Domestic Hot Water and Unvented Heating)taken into consideration during my visa application?

I am just wondering whether to do some more courses before applying for my visa if they are going to help me.

Thanks
Lee
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:19 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for plumbing information for NZ?

Originally Posted by larneylee
Hello,

I thought I might ask if anyone knows the current rules or requirements for plumbers wanting to enter into New Zealand. You hear a lot of things through the grape vine and it has become somewhat confusing. I hear qualified plumbers are accepted with relative ease, then I hear you need a NVQ level 3 from the UK to qualify and I have also heard that a NVQ level 2 is sufficient plus work experience? An NVQ level 3 now takes 2 years at one day per week at college and you have to do the gas corgi with that; but if your not interested in doing gas then there is no other way of doing a level 3 Plumbing.

Would I be deemed 'more employable' have additional plumbing tickets under my belt before applying for my visa? Are these extra tickets/qualifications(say Solar Domestic Hot Water and Unvented Heating)taken into consideration during my visa application?

I am just wondering whether to do some more courses before applying for my visa if they are going to help me.

Thanks
Lee
Try this Lee

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...light=plumbing
Old Dec 6th 2007, 7:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there LarneyLee. Long time no read.

I've gotta go out but I'll post back to you later on mate.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:04 am
`

bumping for LarneyLee and any other plumbers looking in.

Bump for Larneylee if he is looking in at all.

Hi there Lee.
I have been keeping an eye on the PGDB website and NZIS for any announcements re. the changes to the NZIS skills policy & how this will effect overseas plumbers wanting to come to NZ.
If you remember, there are to be changes to the SMC policy as NZIS are pulling closer into line with DIAC.

There is now information on the PGDB website Lee.

You can read about it HERE

1] There will be an initial assessment costing $400 bucks each for plumbing and gasfitting.

2] Once here, the overseas plumber will be required to attend an interview.

3] If the outcome is successful to the first two steps then the overseas plumber will be required to sit a written exam and undertake practical assessments. These will take 4 days & will be in Wellington NZ.
The cost is $3,500 each for plumbing and gasfitting

4] Registration licence fee $195

The NZIS website states that in order for an overseas plumber to claim points for his trade quals , he /she must have NZ registration.
Given the above and the fact that this can only be done in NZ, I cannot see how any overseas plumber will be able to claim points for his trade qualifications at this time, unless already living and working here.

Will NZIS accept a positive outcome of the initial PGDB assessment ? I don't know.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 10:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS here
4] Registration licence fee $195
Rego fee is going up with the addition of a levy fee for incompetent plumbers costing the board money... add another $50
Old Dec 21st 2007, 10:58 pm
`

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Rego fee is going up with the addition of a levy fee for incompetent plumbers costing the board money... add another $50
Hell. Let's just have the wages paid to them direct & they can give us back the loose change.