Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking at moving to Taupo

Looking at moving to Taupo

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Garbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really nice
Default Looking at moving to Taupo

Me and my english hubby and 2 kids moved back in 2007 to be near my family as I had lived in the UK for 23 years. Quite a bit of culture shock for me and it has not quite worked out how I imagined, so we are considering looking at moving to Taupo as we were holidaying there recently and my husband has taken a major shine to the place. We are seriously considering a possible move there in the near future as our oldest boy is 11 and we want to settle there for the long haul of school education. Does anybody out there have any information about Taupo and living there, schooling, jobs etc etc. We are going for a reccy in August to test the winter there and to check out schooling but would love any additional info anybody could give us about what it's like to live there.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:02 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking at moving to Taupo

It's bloody marvellous.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

taupos great in the summer but is a bit dead in the winter, still a nice place though
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:04 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros View Post
.....a bit dead in the winter....
...and this coming from Cambridge...
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

Garbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really nice

Not worried about being dead in winter, we're more worried about making a reasonable living and schools for the kids. Eventually we want to buy land and become Mr & Mrs Self Sufficiency right down to self composting toilet along with the cool and groovy european interiors and a view of course. The eco dream will come later, just the pros and cons of Taupo would help.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 6:02 am
HAPPY AS...

I did a delivery for a couple just outside of town that are opening a truffle farm, and plenty of people grow their own veges.
The money you make will depend entirely on what you do and what you can charge for your services. There's generally work if you want it, just get out and advertise yourself.
Pros.......there's plenty of land available, you'll pay more for lake or mountain views if you're around town. Don't however, rush into buying on the newly announced development surrounding town. It's being built on the geothermal area which has thus far been avoided!
Schools, sorry, can't help.
Cons.........again, can't help.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Taupo is nice for a holiday but I wouldnt live there.

The cost of living is high and there are not that many jobs unless you are keen on doing touristy stuff.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 3:52 am
HAPPY AS...

Checked with a dad today. Apparently, as for schooling, Tauhara college is the one of choice, the new principle has sorted it. Students are leaving Taupo Ika Nui college to go there.