Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking to move to new Zealand looking for a bricklaying job and visa

Looking to move to new Zealand looking for a bricklaying job and visa

Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Hucks42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to move to new Zealand looking for a bricklaying job and visa

Hi can anyone help looking to move to new Zealand how do I get a working visa as looking to get in with a builder out there I'm a bricklayer I'm 42 can anyone help.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking to move to new Zealand looking for a bricklaying job and visa

Hi there and welcome to British Expats and this New Zealand forum.
My plumber/gasfitter husband and I emigrated here 13 years ago now.

For a temporary work visa you will need to find a job offer first and then apply for the visa. It is not the other way round.

I am not sure if you realise but bricklaying here is somewhat different to the UK however there is still work for brickies.

First thing is , does New Zealand have enough brickies or could they use another one?
The answer is both yes and no.

Bricklayer/Blocklayer is on what is called the immediate shortage list so that means any employer can offer you a job. They do not have to prove there is no NZ citizen or resident that could take that job or be trained for that work.

Bricklayers are in shortage int he Canterbury/Christchurch area. This area is where the quake happened and it is in a state of new regrowth and rebuild. It is on the South Island.

Would you be interested in this area? Sometimes it is best to go to where the work is to start a life in a new country.

If Canterbury might suit you can try contacting Opportunity Canterbury <--- click the link - and ask them which employer down there is hiring brickies.

You could try contacting Tradestaff. & Hays.

Please do come back with your thoughts.

Do you have an area in mind? Do you understand the visa processes? Are you looking to emigrate or just have a couple of years offshore?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Looking to move to new Zealand looking for a bricklaying job and visa

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there and welcome to British Expats and this New Zealand forum.
My plumber/gasfitter husband and I emigrated here 13 years ago now.

For a temporary work visa you will need to find a job offer first and then apply for the visa. It is not the other way round.

I am not sure if you realise but bricklaying here is somewhat different to the UK however there is still work for brickies.

First thing is , does New Zealand have enough brickies or could they use another one?
The answer is both yes and no.

Bricklayer/Blocklayer is on what is called the immediate shortage list so that means any employer can offer you a job. They do not have to prove there is no NZ citizen or resident that could take that job or be trained for that work.

Bricklayers are in shortage int he Canterbury/Christchurch area. This area is where the quake happened and it is in a state of new regrowth and rebuild. It is on the South Island.

Would you be interested in this area? Sometimes it is best to go to where the work is to start a life in a new country.

If Canterbury might suit you can try contacting Opportunity Canterbury <--- click the link - and ask them which employer down there is hiring brickies.

You could try contacting Tradestaff. & Hays.

Please do come back with your thoughts.

Do you have an area in mind? Do you understand the visa processes? Are you looking to emigrate or just have a couple of years offshore?
I'm looking to come over in the spring and give it a go just need contacts and some help would be appreciated to put me on the right path.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 11:00 pm
`

Originally Posted by Hucks42
I'm looking to come over in the spring and give it a go just need contacts and some help would be appreciated to put me on the right path.
Well. You can enter NZ on a visitors visa in Spring and hoof around assorted companies who may/may not offer you work.
They prefer boots on ground so it could be a way to go . You would come prepared to stay and immediately apply for a work visa.

Your best bet is the trade recruitment agencies.

Builders here are carpenters not brickies.

Looking again at your first post , you are not going to be 'getting in with a builder' . That's not how it works.
Firms are not crying out for bricklayers but there is a need for them.
You will be looking for a company who can take on a bricklayer and be prepared to endorse your visa paperwork.

Having said the above, if anyone on the NZ forum knows of any company looking for and cannot get a bricklayer and is willing to chance their arm on an overseas bricklayer, just pop a post in here.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Lots of jobs on Trademe at the moment:

Job search results - Find NZ jobs on Trade Me Jobs

Here's one near me:
Bricklayer | Trade Me Jobs

Last edited by LoCarb; Apr 20th 2017 at 8:01 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

If any builders are looking for a overseas bricklayer get in touch been doing it for 15 years just looking for a new challenge and a new start I'm 42 been working for same company for last 6 years
Old Apr 20th 2017, 10:04 pm
`

Hucks . You need to blanket cover anyone & everyone advertising for a brickie. Really convince them you are the bloke for the job and hope summat comes up.

They won't be getting in touch with you. Might be different if there was an extreme shortage.

Your best bet is the trade recruitment agencies. Honestly. They have the visa nohow and can place you.
Old May 7th 2017, 5:49 am
Just Joined

okimgone is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure Hucks42 if you have a region in mind, but Dunedin in particular are crying out for Bricklayers at the moment. As BEVS has commented, the like of Tradestaff can give you an idea of Visa options in addition to finding you long-term work. Plenty of work for Bricklayer's in Auckland too, but ultimately it depends on what kind of lifestyle you are looking for. Good luck !
Old May 7th 2017, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Just to let you know bricklaying is different over here, it's more fascia/ tiling than structural and you need to be a neat freak. The houses are just constructed differently, it's all timber framed with thinner brick fascias.