Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for IT job in NZ

Looking for IT job in NZ

Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

sam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to behold
Default Looking for IT job in NZ

Hi guys
I have got my WTR Visa under Skilled Migrant Category on last May. I almost have 2 months away from first entry to NZ to validate the visa. Currently I am trying my best to look for a job in NZ. Does any one know the best way to find a job there in the IT field? I have been using the online sites for that. I was wondering if I can find more efficient way to apply for jobs . Would NZ employers consider overseas applications in the same manner of considering the applicants from NZ ??
Wishing best of luck to any one going through the same phase
Old Jul 7th 2011, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for IT job in NZ

Originally Posted by sam_79
Hi guys
I have got my WTR Visa under Skilled Migrant Category on last May. I almost have 2 months away from first entry to NZ to validate the visa. Currently I am trying my best to look for a job in NZ. Does any one know the best way to find a job there in the IT field? I have been using the online sites for that. I was wondering if I can find more efficient way to apply for jobs . Would NZ employers consider overseas applications in the same manner of considering the applicants from NZ ??
Wishing best of luck to any one going through the same phase
Once you get over here, doors will open for you if you have the right skills, in the IT sector over here, employers want to see people face to face. I got nothing when applying from the UK, but had 4 interviews within my first week after i landed...

Find the agents advertising the jobs with your skills contact them direct, give them a call and let them know when your arriving... they'll then work towards getting interviews lined up once your here.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Depends a bit on how much your technical skills are likely to be recognised.

In general you will probably have to wait until u get here.
But if you have visa, then I would apply for jobs in the week or two before you live and tell the agents the date you will be available for interview.
You may have to decide whether you want Auckland or Wellington, other choices will be quite limited.

Look at www.seek.co.nz
I can suggest a few Wellington agents but you will find them all on that site anyway.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

sam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to beholdsam_79 is a splendid one to behold

Thank you so much Brown and Simon. I will be trying to check for agents and contact them directly..Appreciate your comments..take care
Old Jul 11th 2011, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

Sam I work in Auckland for an IT consultancy company, I work in Data Warehousing & BI what is your area of expertise? (we always seem to be recruiting).

I spoke agencies before I got here (SKYPE) and straight away as soon as I arrived speaking to them a couple of times a week which seemed to help.

Most advertised jobs are on SEEK but a lot jobs are via word of mouth or recommendations.

Good luck & send me a PM if you want further info
Dave
Old Jul 11th 2011, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DavenHelen
Sam I work in Auckland for an IT consultancy company, I work in Data Warehousing & BI what is your area of expertise? (we always seem to be recruiting).

I spoke agencies before I got here (SKYPE) and straight away as soon as I arrived speaking to them a couple of times a week which seemed to help.

Most advertised jobs are on SEEK but a lot jobs are via word of mouth or recommendations.

Good luck & send me a PM if you want further info
Dave
Hi Dave,

That's so nice of you offering your help here would send you a PM explaining my area of expertise, and I will be appreciating any advice you give..
Thank you so much Dave..TC

Sam
Old Jul 11th 2011, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

leaveuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave.

Sorry for hijacking your posts, however I'm in the same position as sam_79 except I don't have a visa yet. This is due to the small number of applications I've done I've always getting a response of "you must have a work permit to apply".

I would appreciate if I could also send you my IT expertise and education so I can tap into your wealth of IT immigration knowledge

Thanks!

Leaveuk
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

DavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to allDavenHelen is a name known to all

Hi LeaveUK, I'm not sure I have a ' wealth of IT immigration knowledge' just really knowledge of our EOI application. Have you check the NZ immigration website to work out how many points you have & if you would get selected from the pool without a job offer?
You will gain extra points for having an IT related degree & more experience.
Employers really want to meet you, I know of very few people who have secured positions before they came out here. I do know some who came out for a reccy to see if they really like the country & also attend interviews they had arranged before they came out.

Some companies are recruiting & most as others have stated use SEEK, so register with them & set up your required search criteria & you will get daily emails of vacancies in your particular area of IT.
If you see something that is of interest contact the agent and speak to them as they are more likely to remember you if you have actually contacted them rather than just an email.
With regards to the EOI process there are far more knowledgeable people on this forum, so ask away if you have further questions or search to see if you question has previously been asked.
good luck
Dave
Old Sep 30th 2011, 3:21 am
Just Joined

kinzajamil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sam_79
Hi Dave,

That's so nice of you offering your help here would send you a PM explaining my area of expertise, and I will be appreciating any advice you give..
Thank you so much Dave..TC

Sam
Hi Dave,
My husband has just completed his PHD from auckland university. His area of research is Data warehousing. Can you help him finding job in his field. Please give your email or contact phone number. We are in auckland.

Thanks
kinza
Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:41 am
Forum Regular

fychan66 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in IT and was finding it very frustrating applying for jobs from the UK seemingly getting good responses from the job agents until 6wks in and was told if they hadn't asked my permission to forward my cv and given me the company name I was not being put forward. Decided to end working in UK and head over for a look round, visit a friend and attend some IT seminars that where being held there. Luckily for me a few coffee meets and the seminars and visiting the job agents in person has obtained me a offer of work which enabled me to obtain a temp work visa and enabled me to obtain over the 140 points to get the family out hopefully in the next 6 mths. So I would say if you can get yourself out here and have a look round the area's you think you would like and get your face and name known.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

fychan66 well done I think meeting people in person is so important in the market here.

kinza send me a PM (Private message) & I can see what I can do, I have only been here 10 months but can recommend a couple of Agencies etc, has your husband approached companies directly?

Thanks
Dave
Old Oct 1st 2011, 1:29 am
Just Joined

fychan66 well done I think meeting people in person is so important in the market here.

kinza send me a PM (Private message) & I can see what I can do, I have only been here 10 months but can recommend a couple of Agencies etc, has your husband approached companies directly?

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,

No he does not have any direct contact with companies.
If you guide him, it will be so nice of you.
thanks.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks
Dave
Hi Dave,

I do not have access to open my inbox.

Can you send me your email plz.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 3:15 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Kinza

If you husband really does have a PHD from a NZ university, especially in a field like data warehousing, then I am sure any IT recruitment consultant would happily cut off their own arm to have a opportunity to have your husband on their books.

Banks, Telcos. ISP, DHB's etc would all be happy to use his expertise.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:00 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kinzajamil
Hi Dave,
I do not have access to open my inbox.
Can you send me your email plz.
Hi.
You are able to see the content of a PM via the email you signed up to BE with.
You can also send over your details by email via BE. Just click on DavenHelen and the drop down menu will show you the way.