Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for a job - Hamilton Area

Looking for a job - Hamilton Area

Old Nov 26th 2008, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

bmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nice
Default Looking for a job - Hamilton Area

Hello. My partner and I are planning to emigrate to New Zealand next year from West Yorkshire, England.

I located this website as I am seeking employment as a Ricoh photocopier engineer / network engineer. I have twenty four years experience repairing, servicing and networking the full Ricoh range.

Could you suggest anyone I could speak within or around the Hamilton area, or could you keep your eyes and ears open for me please? This may seem a cheeky request, but we too cannot wait to get to New Zealand.

We hope everything is still going really well for you and your family .Teambwr47

Last edited by bmwmick; Nov 26th 2008 at 9:22 pm. Reason: miss of a word
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:08 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Looking for a job - Hamilton Area

I have given your posts its own thread.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Any particular reason it has to be Hamilton?
I just got back from a few days up there and have family living there, but I doubt they'd have much insight.

Have you looked on seek.co.nz?

You could also see if the Waikato Times has classified ads online.

The Ricoh office in Hamilton might be able to suggest something.

Cnr Rostrevor & Harwood Streets
P.O. Box 758, Waikato Mail Centre
Phone 07 - 957 4500
Fax 07 - 957 4519
Email [email protected]
Old Nov 27th 2008, 12:00 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmwmick
Hello. My partner and I are planning to emigrate to New Zealand next year from West Yorkshire, England.

I located this website as I am seeking employment as a Ricoh photocopier engineer / network engineer. I have twenty four years experience repairing, servicing and networking the full Ricoh range.

Could you suggest anyone I could speak within or around the Hamilton area, or could you keep your eyes and ears open for me please? This may seem a cheeky request, but we too cannot wait to get to New Zealand.

We hope everything is still going really well for you and your family .Teambwr47
My best friend is the credit manager for Ricoh I'll get you the contact details you need. They're doing better than their competitors at the moment - both Konica and Fuji Xerox have laid people off but Richoh haven't YET. Sales are way down which of course will probably work in your favour because older machines need to be repaired - silver lining eh?

Anyway - I'll pm you when I get the details.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 2:07 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again - I can't send you a PM until you've posted 3 times so if you waffle on a bit I can send you the info I've got
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

bmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nicebmwmick is just really nice

Thankyou to everyone who has replied to my thread so far.

We were considering the Hamilton area as there looks to be a wide variety of outdoor activities to do, plus a great model boat club, but we are very happy to consider anywhere.

Can anyone recommend a district to look at for a house with 4 acres plus of land to accommodate us and horses please?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Thankyou Bev for moving my thread.

We are new to this site, but appreciate any help anyone can offer us
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:04 pm
By name and by nature

Hiya - I've sent you the PM.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Cambridge is about 10 minutes south of Hamilton and a great horsey area.
It's a smaller town with a nice little shopping centre and easy commute to Hamilton. Depends on what you can afford. At least it's central and not too far from Auckland if you want to go. Hamilton's a good size town and has most things you could want, except a beach but it's not too far to travel to beaches, also to Rotorua and several lakes.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:18 am
Just Joined

fpower is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bmwmick
Thankyou to everyone who has replied to my thread so far.

We were considering the Hamilton area as there looks to be a wide variety of outdoor activities to do, plus a great model boat club, but we are very happy to consider anywhere.

Can anyone recommend a district to look at for a house with 4 acres plus of land to accommodate us and horses please?
Hi there, firstly GOOD LUCK !!! You won't regret it. We live about 20 mins south of Hamilton and about 20 mins west of Cambridge (and only 45 mins to the best beach you imagine check out: www.aoteaharbour.co.nz).
North of Hamilton may be a cheaper area but there IS a reason for that (nuf said 'bro') and if you go to the east and north of Cambs the prices are much more expensive too.

A great area is around Ohaupo (go to Google maps and check out where it is) and there are lots of sections (plots to Pommies) for sale as farmers are now sub-dividing their farms.

We have just been through exactly the same scenario and found an awesome company called Buildrite Homes who will help you find your section then offer you a range of house options/designs/plans and then you can get involved in as much or as little as you wish. They sort out right from the architects through to the councils permits (building permission) and even finish off with sorting out your carpets if you wish. There are several companies who offer a similar service (LJ Gardner, Golden Homes, Sovereign) but Buildrite were the friendliest and the most efficient. We found the others were way too big to cater for the individual and it is almost like a sausage factory for them (they have standard designs and that is basically what you get). You can recognise one of their homes all over the place! Also they couldn't help with finding a section - you had to go to them once you had found one.

What time of next year are you planning on arriving? I would recommend that you rent first that gives you the best options to get to know the area and work out where you like/dislike.

Are you planning on bringing horse/s with you or buying here (I ride too). Now is a great time to buy/build as there is a slump in the market so things are really very reasonable. I am now a redundant mom (littlie just turned 5 so full time school for her) so would be happy to give you a hand to settle in. Just let me know.

Cheers
Fiona
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Hi FPOWER, Thanks so much for the info. it will be really helpful and we will look at the websites you suggested.

We are hoping to be in NZ around july next year, but if any job arises before then we may come sooner.

We plan to rent at first, but will then look to buy in a nice area. We are both novice riders, still having lessons, which we love, especially me! but really want 2 horses of our own, so it would be good to keep in contact and we appreciate the offer to help us settle in.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

fpower is an unknown quantity at this point

No worries - either send me a PM/e-mail nearer the time or if you need some help with stuff before (job hunting etc) just let me know. I am sure you'd do the same for me so there you go!! Have a nice weekend - we're just off to the beach for the day after daughter finishes her riding lesson (awesome stables just up the way).
Keep in touch .............
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

My partner and I have now started our application to emigrate to New Zealand! We hope to be there in mid July this year, so we are both looking for work, myself as a Staff Nurse (General), community-based if possible, and my partner as a Photocopier/ Network Engineer for Ricoh and Sharp copiers.

Can anyone suggest any avenues to pursue for either. We are looking at the North Island, preferably around Hamilton, but are happy to look at other areas for work/ to live too.

We would be really grateful for any contacts/ advice you could offer.

Michael and Amanda