Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for friends in/near Masterton

Looking for friends in/near Masterton

Old Nov 9th 2009, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light
Default Looking for friends in/near Masterton

As mentioned in my post elsewhere on this forum today, my wife has landed a job as a teacher in Masterton.

We're currently in the South Island just outside of Havelock but are booked on to the ferry to come back north on November 19th. The plan so far is that we're staying with friends for a short while in Pahiatua whilst we try to find somewhere to rent in/near Masterton.

It'd be really great to hear from any of you already in/near the Masterton area who are interested in gaining 4 new friends! (There's myself, my wife and our two young boys of 4yrs and 2yrs).

We've been through the mill a little since our arrival in September but things are finally looking like they're coming together for us... we're in need of some friendly faces and perhaps the odd shoulder, as we try to set up what will be our home for the forseeable future.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Old Nov 9th 2009, 5:17 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for friends in/near Masterton

Originally Posted by thedtb
As mentioned in my post elsewhere on this forum today, my wife has landed a job as a teacher in Masterton.

We're currently in the South Island just outside of Havelock but are booked on to the ferry to come back north on November 19th. The plan so far is that we're staying with friends for a short while in Pahiatua whilst we try to find somewhere to rent in/near Masterton.

It'd be really great to hear from any of you already in/near the Masterton area who are interested in gaining 4 new friends! (There's myself, my wife and our two young boys of 4yrs and 2yrs).

We've been through the mill a little since our arrival in September but things are finally looking like they're coming together for us... we're in need of some friendly faces and perhaps the odd shoulder, as we try to set up what will be our home for the forseeable future.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Hi, sorry not in NZ yet but hope you get some replies from peeps in the area.

Just had to respond to your post cause its the first time I've seen Pahiatua mentioned on here!!! OH was born there .....his Dad was Headmaster at a little school in Rongokokako, nr Eketahuna, in the early 50's. We went back there to find the school base & empty swimming pool, we were told the school building had been taken to Martinborough, but the school house where the family lived was still there!!

Good luck with your move & glad things working out for you
MnB x
Old Nov 10th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MnB

Just had to respond to your post cause its the first time I've seen Pahiatua mentioned on here!!! OH was born there .....his Dad was Headmaster at a little school in Rongokokako, nr Eketahuna, in the early 50's. We went back there to find the school base & empty swimming pool, we were told the school building had been taken to Martinborough, but the school house where the family lived was still there!!

MnB x
I imagine it was quite nice to go back to the "family-home" as it where... I wonder if you would be able to locate the school building at all?

Does your hubby have fond memories of it?
Old Nov 10th 2009, 10:50 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine it was quite nice to go back to the "family-home" as it where... I wonder if you would be able to locate the school building at all?

Does your hubby have fond memories of it?
Yeah, it was so good to see the 'family home' also a bit emotional, sadly FiL not around anymore to reminisce with and MiL 89yrs old and her memory not so good, my husband can't really remember living there ...they came back to UK when he was 2, but his older sister remembers it well ( & fondly)so we were able to put 'things into palce' from her memories and earlier conversations had with his parents.....life in NZ at that time was pretty basic!!! and so much more remote than it is today.
OH's parents sailed to NZ....5wks with 1 toddler & a baby , they sailed back after 6+ years with 4 children under 7

We took a photo of school house, taken by FiL in 1952 with us and found the house......amazingly the owner invited us in, he had bought the house from the education board about 25 yrs ago. Brought back lots of pics to share with the family.....

Sorry...realised going on a bit here!!

Just want to say again......Good on you for sticking it out & following in the footsteps of those early £10 poms!! things are on the up for you now and you realise your dreams!!!

B x
Old Nov 11th 2009, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MnB

MnB x
Hello... I was curious if it would be possible to locate the old school building... in doing a little digging online I found this: http://www.eketahunakiwicountry.co.n....php?info_id=4... figured you may be interested to read it (if you haven't already)... no luck in finding where the school building went to though I'm afraid.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:55 pm
MnB

Hello... I was curious if it would be possible to locate the old school building... in doing a little digging online I found this: http://www.eketahunakiwicountry.co.n....php?info_id=4... figured you may be interested to read it (if you haven't already)... no luck in finding where the school building went to though I'm afraid.
Thanks for posting link!...no we hadn't come across it before.....interesting reading!
A family friend (who lives in Wellington now), whose parents owned a farm in Rongokokako in early 50's, told us that the school building was taken to Martinborough......?? but don't know whether it was for use in another school or some other organisation. Havn't researched fully yet.....maybe when we get to NZ again!!

Hope you've managed to find a rental and meet up with some friendly locals around Masterton. Good luck with the move & new job.!!