Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for feedback on jobs

Looking for feedback on jobs

Old Oct 20th 2005, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

JaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the roughJaneAS is a jewel in the rough
Default Looking for feedback on jobs

Hiya.
I've read in an older post that many people who have found NZ jobs while in the UK, on arrival, found them nothing like they were expecting. How common is this? Has anyone accepted a job while in the UK and not had a problem with it?

And what is everyone's general opinion about getting jobs. Are you best to try and go over 'jobless' and then find a job there?

I'm just trying to figure the best way forward....

Thanks,
JaneAS
Old Oct 20th 2005, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Looking for feedback on jobs

Originally Posted by JaneAS
Hiya.
I've read in an older post that many people who have found NZ jobs while in the UK, on arrival, found them nothing like they were expecting. How common is this? Has anyone accepted a job while in the UK and not had a problem with it?

And what is everyone's general opinion about getting jobs. Are you best to try and go over 'jobless' and then find a job there?

I'm just trying to figure the best way forward....

Thanks,
JaneAS
Hi JaneAS,
I expect we've all got different opinions on this one!
I think that if you don't need a job offer to get enough points to beat the current passmark it's a good idea to just apply for permanent residency. This will give you more options on where and when you go.
Mark
Old Nov 5th 2005, 1:13 pm
taz
Just Joined

taz is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a qualified electrician, 52 yrs old, currently going through NZIS process at the moment. What are my chances of getting a job in my line of work taking my age into account?
Old Nov 5th 2005, 10:27 pm
livewire

I think that on balance it's probably best to have at least one job offer lined up before you arrive, just for peace of mind. Nothing to stop you having more than one either I guess and to weed them out once you get here.

If you just have the one offer and you find out it doesn't suit after a while, you can always look for something else from a position of strength.

Once you've worked in NZ though you may find that a NZ reference will be worth a helluva lot more than one from the company you've just been working at for the last 10 years. Could be a good or a bad thing!

I'd say try to keep things as flexible as you can - put off buying a place to live until you are certain that you enjoy your your job and you can afford the mortgage, it's so much easier to move around that way if you decide to change employers or go somewhere else in NZ.

Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:20 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taz
I'm a qualified electrician, 52 yrs old, currently going through NZIS process at the moment. What are my chances of getting a job in my line of work taking my age into account?
You will be snapped up at bottom dollar. Employers will be biting each others hands off to get you.
You will need to sit the H&S test to become fully registered.