Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for Advice - please feel free to put in your 2p worth!

Looking for Advice - please feel free to put in your 2p worth!

Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:48 am
Just Joined

technocracy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for Advice - please feel free to put in your 2p worth!

First off I guess I am in what many people would consider an enviable position - I left the UK over 3 years ago already and currently live in Laos in SE Asia. However with my son fast approaching 2 (next month) I know that I need to be somewhere other that Laos if he is going to get any kind of decent education. As the one and only International school is horrendously expensive when in my position - in that I don't have a company to pay it for me.

Also since I've been mainly making a living doing consultancy work the pay is intermittent so we can't exactly plan for the future. That said when I get work the pay will last several months here since we have our own house and the cost of living here is very low.

But anyway the getting to the meat of the post - I am currently at a point where I am choosing between 2 roles - one being in Singapore and one being in New Zealand. So I am currently trying to make the decision on which role and more importantly country.

The NZ job is good money for the NZ - I know - being 135k pa. Which is around 94k pa after tax according to the NZ IR website. So first off I assume this would be afford a decent enough kind of lifestyle in NZ? The role is based in the Mt Wellington area of Auckland so we'd be initially looking to rent a 3 bed house in a decent suburb with a easy commute and have shops around (any suggestions on that?)

One main consideration and one that is nagging in the back of my mind is the acceptance of asians (due to what I've read)? Since my wife is from asian and of course my son is mixed. What are peoples experiences on this topic?

Then of course the other question is there any kind of Chinatown in Auckland with fresh food shops where we could get asian produce?

In my mind the lifestyle in NZ would be preferable and more suited towards my family given that Laos is very open, green and an outside living environment. Also very similar to NZ in terms of population and size.

I know the work environment would be far less stress than Singapore from my own perspective and obviously it would allow me more time with my family.

On the Singapore side of things obviously the culture shock to both me and the wife would be far less due to the locality, weather, food etc. However the lifestyle would without doubt be a very big culture shock. In Laos we live in a large house on a 4500m2 of land and would be going to Condo highrise livining.

I've read many posts on this site and they've been useful so far in maintaining my interest in the NZ however I am now at the point where I need a few words of wisdom to push me one way or another!

So please speak freely!

Edit: Oh also just for a bit of background I am in my early thirties and my wife is in her late 20s and as said above my son is nearly 2 . . . we are NOT (! - missed the not out previously!) looking for mad partying or the 'high' life just a decent comfortable middle of the street living!

Last edited by technocracy; Jan 21st 2010 at 3:44 am.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for Advice - please feel free to put in your 2p worth!

It sounds like youd fit into NZ just fine, and as yo have found out already, the proposed salary is a good one; it should enable you to rent a nice place and maintain a decent life style
Don't worry about Asians mixing in Auckland; this is a true Pacific Rim city and there are loads of Asians here - predominantly Chinese/Korean but also Indians and almost every other type you can think of. They are generally well accepted I think, you hear some racist comments but I think most people recognise them as being good contributors to society. There are loads of asian-run produce shops, a lot of the general fruit & veg shops are such, and have asian-food sections as well as the more european stuff.
I would look at Howick and the beach suburbs to the NE, they are meant to be nice suburbs, quite civilised and with a high proportion of asian people.
The houses in Auckland tend to be packed in so you won't get your 4500 sq m; a good section here is 1000, and a half-share of 650 is not unusual in the city suburbs
Hope this helps
Old Jan 21st 2010, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technocracy
First off I guess I am in what many people would consider an enviable position - I left the UK over 3 years ago already and currently live in Laos in SE Asia. However with my son fast approaching 2 (next month) I know that I need to be somewhere other that Laos if he is going to get any kind of decent education. As the one and only International school is horrendously expensive when in my position - in that I don't have a company to pay it for me.

Also since I've been mainly making a living doing consultancy work the pay is intermittent so we can't exactly plan for the future. That said when I get work the pay will last several months here since we have our own house and the cost of living here is very low.

But anyway the getting to the meat of the post - I am currently at a point where I am choosing between 2 roles - one being in Singapore and one being in New Zealand. So I am currently trying to make the decision on which role and more importantly country.

The NZ job is good money for the NZ - I know - being 135k pa. Which is around 94k pa after tax according to the NZ IR website. So first off I assume this would be afford a decent enough kind of lifestyle in NZ? The role is based in the Mt Wellington area of Auckland so we'd be initially looking to rent a 3 bed house in a decent suburb with a easy commute and have shops around (any suggestions on that?)

One main consideration and one that is nagging in the back of my mind is the acceptance of asians (due to what I've read)? Since my wife is from asian and of course my son is mixed. What are peoples experiences on this topic?

Then of course the other question is there any kind of Chinatown in Auckland with fresh food shops where we could get asian produce?

In my mind the lifestyle in NZ would be preferable and more suited towards my family given that Laos is very open, green and an outside living environment. Also very similar to NZ in terms of population and size.

I know the work environment would be far less stress than Singapore from my own perspective and obviously it would allow me more time with my family.

On the Singapore side of things obviously the culture shock to both me and the wife would be far less due to the locality, weather, food etc. However the lifestyle would without doubt be a very big culture shock. In Laos we live in a large house on a 4500m2 of land and would be going to Condo highrise livining.

I've read many posts on this site and they've been useful so far in maintaining my interest in the NZ however I am now at the point where I need a few words of wisdom to push me one way or another!

So please speak freely!

Edit: Oh also just for a bit of background I am in my early thirties and my wife is in her late 20s and as said above my son is nearly 2 . . . we are NOT (! - missed the not out previously!) looking for mad partying or the 'high' life just a decent comfortable middle of the street living!
Hi, Asians are WELL accepted here..especially in Auckland where its very cosmopolitan and diverse in cultures. Your take home salary is HUGE and you will live exceptionally well on that..mortgage or no mortgage!! NZ is a wonderful place but like all places has its fair share of problems...trick is to avoid them aye? Auckland will alas not be able to offer you the same land size you have currently as plots up there are smallish as a result of the 1.4 million people all after a bit of sod. Final point is that Auckland from what I can glean is a huge sprawling conurbation and may not be in the same league as you currently inhabit. It has 33% of the country's population living there. Good luck in where ever you chose. On a final note I have visited Singapore and if i had a child ( I have 3 infact) NZ would always win hands down. Whilst SP is very crime free there is something uncomforatble about the place for me as a long term place to live especially with kiddies in the mix.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:12 am
Just Joined

technocracy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers folks for the posts (and pm's) - however after much consideration and mulling things over and reading numerous sites, I am pretty much in the conclusion that the Singapore opportunity will be the best for us.

The crime side of things in NZ is concerning and along with the much often commented on racism. Also I read some eye opening stories about the immigration and work visa not being renewed, this was even mentioned during the interview that it *may not* be renewed - but I kind of took it with a pinch of salt. But have just been reading numerous real stories of it happening and that is very concerning that after 1 year the visa could be refused on the whim of the NZIS!

The lifestyle might make up something good but the rest gives me enough concern to choose Singapore. Plus with the fact that the Singapore role is better money and includes relocation.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

You should have no problem at all in fitting in. Auckland is very cosmopolitan. Also, there are loads of Asian food, fruit and vegetables available in the shops. In fact, most of the best greengrocers are run by Asians, especially on the North Shore. Good luck.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 8:46 pm
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by technocracy

The crime side of things in NZ is concerning and along with the much often commented on racism. Also I read some eye opening stories about the immigration and work visa not being renewed, this was even mentioned during the interview that it *may not* be renewed - but I kind of took it with a pinch of salt. But have just been reading numerous real stories of it happening and that is very concerning that after 1 year the visa could be refused on the whim of the NZIS!

Having worked in both places I would honestly say that New Zealand is a MUCH better place to bring up kids. Crime in New Zealand is very localised and nothing like a lot of Europe. True Singapore is statistically a safer palce (then again a colleague of mine was stabbed in his own apartment there so badly he had to retire) but you pay for it in one of the most restrictive authoritarian regimes outside the Middle East (You did say speak frankly).

Give me the liberal freedoms of New Zealand anyday....and that includes to say pretty much what you want.

The recent article about work visas not being renewed focussed on a British ex pat couple with a specific set of issues. Of course a work visa is just that - a visa for work - if you don't have that work your visa status is at risk BUT NZIS are very much aware of the market at the moment and do allow you time to find another job. I can't imagine this being much different in Singapore.

Finally comparing the cost of living in both places, you Singapore salary is going to have to be MUCH bigger to afford a nice appartment and a car (when you are allowed to own one)

Best of luck