Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Looking for advice on obtaining a Job Offer in New Zealand.

Looking for advice on obtaining a Job Offer in New Zealand.

Old May 17th 2014, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

maccajay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice on obtaining a Job Offer in New Zealand.

I am a painter from the uk, looking for a jobs offer outside of Auckland, going out there in October, is it better to look to work while i am there or while I am in the uk?
Old May 19th 2014, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

smfield23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for advice on obtaining a Job Offer in New Zealand.

Hi, I work in recruitment - mainly management roles in Construction but hope to give some advice anyway as we do lots of international recruitment.

My suggestion is to look at seek.co.nz and trademe.co.nz and get a feel for employers and also which recruiters recruit in your space. Then choose a couple of recruiters to contact when you are a few weeks out from coming and see if they can arrange some interviews for you, make sure when you contact them you show clear commitment to the move, that you know what visa you will apply for, the fact your coming for a visit, and send on relevant qualificaitons/ references. Would also be work contacting companies direct at the same time.

Hope that helps and all the best!
Old May 19th 2014, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

smfield23 is an unknown quantity at this point

could be also worth reading up any related training or local qualifications you might need - just to show a potential employer you are serious and keen.
Old May 20th 2014, 1:42 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by maccajay
I am a painter from the uk, looking for a jobs offer outside of Auckland, going out there in October, is it better to look to work while i am there or while I am in the uk?
Are you looking to emigrate to NZ permanently or just come to experience NZ for a couple of years or so.

Please be aware that it is not strictly kosher to enter NZ on a visitor visa with the intention of looking for work. Just something to keep in mind.

If you are under 30 yrs old then you could think to apply for a working holiday visa. That would allow you to do some work in your trade.

Painters are not currently in shortage here in NZ. However, the trade does appear on the Canterbury shortage list.

This means that an employer offering you work in the Christchurch/Canterbury region is free to do so. For anywhere else in New Zealand , the NZ employer would have to prove to NZ immigration that there was no NZ resident or citizen that could take up that position or train for that work.

You will need to show immigration you are qualified in the trade. That would be via your qualifications and/or via your work experience.

Painting
Trades Worker (332211)
National Certificate in Painting and Decorating (NZQF Level 4)
OR
a minimum of three years’ relevant work experience
Hope that helps get you started a little bit.
Old May 20th 2014, 6:43 am
Just Joined

maccajay is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by maccajay
Thank you for the advice, I will get in touch with some of the recruitment agents before I go. I am also going to check, housing, schools etc. I am looking to gain work experience on a works visa. Then apply for a permanent
visa later.
I have over 20 years experience in the painting trade, I am aware that I need to apply for jobs in Canterbury. Cheers!
Old May 20th 2014, 6:56 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Ah ! You stated outside of Auckland .

If you are actually looking to Canterbury then contact Canstaff . They seem to be the main ones actively looking for tradespeople .