Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Long Weekend in New York: Kid Friendly Things to Do

Long Weekend in New York: Kid Friendly Things to Do

Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:33 pm
N99sea

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long Weekend in New York: Kid Friendly Things to Do

I'm going to New York in late Nov. to visit my Gramps. I'll be taking my almost 5 year old, and my mum is flying over from England. Any must-sees that are kid friendly? Plan to go to Central Park Zoo and the Natural History Museum for sure. We're staying in the Upper East Side area as that's where my Gramps and his lady friend live.
Naomi.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:52 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Weekend in New York: Kid Friendly Things to Do

This thread is relevant to my interests.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:53 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

FAO Schwarz. Like Hamleys, but if your face, fuggedaboutit.

I'm taking my seven year old in two weeks to NYC. It'll be the first time for both of us. Meeting my parentkins who are coming in on the Queen Mary II.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Open top bus tour - well wrapped up against the cold!

Statten Island Ferry - free which is always good.

Ellis Island - we visited NY with our son when he was about 5 and he quite enjoyed that, but we didn't bother with the statue of liberty as the queues can be really long.

This is one of my favourite museums in NY http://www.tenement.org/ - I've not visited with a child in tow, but they do have tours that they describe as being perfect for families.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

My 7yo daughter loved the Rockefeller Tower, and of course the American Girl store - that was probably the most expensive bit of the whole trip actually.

We went down to the tip of Manhatten to see the Statue of Liberty but it was a bit of a trek and I'm not sure I'd bother doing it again.

She enjoyed walking through Chinatown but it was very crowded and at one point I lost her in the subway system - she was one side of the ticket gate and I was the other and my ticket wouldn't work. One of the worst moments of my life.

She loved the Lion King.

We liked Grand Central station - we had a meal at one of the restaurants overlooking the station itself. Not sure I'd go there just to see it but our train came in there.

Next time I think we will go to Brooklyn and go to the museum there.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Bronx Zoo instead. You can take the train from Grand Central and the shuttle over. Plan on being there around dusk and you will see the special holiday light show. It starts the weekend of Thanksgiving (third weekend of the month). Or go the aquarimum in Brooklyn. A short subway ride. A wonderful place for kids. There is also the kids hands on museum at Liberty Island (NJ) again not a long trip. Scrooge should be playing by then at Madison Square Garden. A nice play to take the kids to see.

A walk in Central Park and rent ice skates at Wolman Rink for a fun afternoon. Lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe on Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) and I believe it is 54th Street. Or see the holiday show if it is playing at Radio City Music Hall.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough

Bronx Zoo if it's warm enough is great. Also try the children's museum. My wife is a teacher and they take the kids there quite a bit, she always says its really fun. Toys r us in t square.
I personally love the natural history museum as well and its always full of kids who seem to be enjoying themselves.
Maybe grab tickets for a child friendly show, perhaps something like hairspray? If you go to the tkts in T square you can usually get half price tickets for the matinee show.