Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Long time no speak!!! Update.

Long time no speak!!! Update.

Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of
Default Long time no speak!!! Update.

Hi everyone!
My, how time flies!
And how things change! There are so many new people on here!
Anyway, for those that remember us, here goes.
We finally got here on 13th December, gosh, its a long way! And given my absolute fear of flying I made it without valium! Alcohol was enough!
We stayed at a farm in the west of Auckland for a few days, can thoroughly recommend it, Pakinui Farmstay, really lovely people and good food! The kids had a ball feeding the animals, chilling in the spa pool and generally exploring....and they're teenagers! Its so good when you get it right eh! and a great way to get over the jet lag!
We rented a car for a couple of weeks and found our way over to Howick, on the Eastern suburbs. We had decided this was where we wanted to be before we came out, and it turns out we had chosen well. The place suits us down to the ground. Lots to do for all of us, which was just as well as the school hols started just as we got here! We stayed for a few days in a furnished house thanks to a contact from this site......Thanks scottish!!!..we had a fab time! then we rented a full section close to the village itself, and here we are!
Mel has started work, the kids started school the other day.... that was a trial! Beki hated her first day, came home in tears. no one spoke to her and she had a teacher new to the school who came in with no empathy and all guns blazing. you know how they are when new teachers want to set boundaries! She also brought a letter home demanding $180 for a 3 night camping trip next week! very scary! She is ok now though
Dan had a good day though, phew!
I have enrolled in college, start next week and I cant wait! Doing a course on Horticulture.. my lifes dream! (sad... but small things eh!)
The beaches...and there are loads of them! are only minutes away. We have bought kayaks and go down 2/3 times a week..depending on tides (omg, talking like a kiwi already )
The nicest ones so far? Sunkist at Beachlands, dead easy to row over to Flat Island, Eastern Beach and Mission Bay.
Homesickness? Yes, it does get to you, but it's not overwhelming. We come from big families and they are in touch loads. I hadn't realised how many friends we had either! we are constantly interupted by MSN! They are great support though and wouldn't be without them. We have made some new friends and have been invited to various bbqs and over for dessert.. pavlova, of course! by the neighbours. They are SO friendly!
I know its early days yet but right now we feel we made the right decision and we really couldn't be happier. Times will get tougher we know, but we are aware of it, and as they say forewarned is forarmed!This site has given us endless food for thought and we have agonised over doing the right thing by our family, but ultimately, life is very short and as we both hit our 40's this is a darn sight less permanant than a tattoo, and a very exciting way to deal with a mid life crisis!
Anyway thats it for now!
Take care and good luck to anyone and everyone going through with, thinking of going through with, or has done this amazing thing called emmigration! We wouldn't have missed it for the world!
Love Cathy
xxxxx
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:42 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long time no speak!!! Update.

Fabulous update, sounds like you've settle really well.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nivlem
Hi everyone!
My, how time flies!
We finally got here on 13th December, gosh, its a long way! And given my absolute fear of flying I made it without valium! Alcohol was enough!
We stayed at a farm in the west of Auckland for a few days, can thoroughly recommend it, Pakinui Farmstay, really lovely people and good food! The kids had a ball feeding the animals, chilling in the spa pool and generally exploring....and they're teenagers! Its so good when you get it right eh! and a great way to get over the jet lag!
We rented a car for a couple of weeks and found our way over to Howick, on the Eastern suburbs. We had decided this was where we wanted to be before we came out, and it turns out we had chosen well. The place suits us down to the ground. Lots to do for all of us, which was just as well as the school hols started just as we got here! We stayed for a few days in a furnished house thanks to a contact from this site......Thanks scottish!!!..we had a fab time! then we rented a full section close to the village itself, and here we are!
Mel has started work, the kids started school the other day.... that was a trial! Beki hated her first day, came home in tears. no one spoke to her and she had a teacher new to the school who came in with no empathy and all guns blazing. you know how they are when new teachers want to set boundaries! She also brought a letter home demanding $180 for a 3 night camping trip next week! very scary! She is ok now though
I have enrolled in college, start next week and I cant wait! Doing a course on Horticulture.. my lifes dream! (sad... but small things eh!)
The beaches...and there are loads of them! are only minutes away. We have bought kayaks and go down 2/3 times a week..depending on tides (omg, talking like a kiwi already )
The nicest ones so far? Sunkist at Beachlands, dead easy to row over to Flat Island, Eastern Beach and Mission Bay.
Homesickness? Yes, it does get to you, but it's not overwhelming. We come from big families and they are in touch loads. I hadn't realised how many friends we had either! we are constantly interupted by MSN! They are great support though and wouldn't be without them. We have made some new friends and have been invited to various bbqs and over for dessert.. pavlova, of course! by the neighbours. They are SO friendly!
I know its early days yet but right now we feel we made the right decision and we really couldn't be happier. Times will get tougher we know, but we are aware of it, and as they say forewarned is forarmed!This site has given us endless food for thought and we have agonised over doing the right thing by our family, but ultimately, life is very short and as we both hit our 40's this is a darn sight less permanant than a tattoo, and a very exciting way to deal with a mid life crisis!
Anyway thats it for now!
Take care and good luck to anyone and everyone going through with, thinking of going through with, or has done this amazing thing called emmigration! We wouldn't have missed it for the world!
Love Cathy
xxxxx
Hi
Thanks for sharing your experiences so far in New Zealand..I really enjoyed reading it.Exciting times and as you say what a great way to start the next 40 plus years..a new adventure for all of you.
I sypathize with Beki on her first day at a new school..have been there myself a few times..it will get better
Shazza
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cathy....glad you have settled in so well.

I was down at Sunkist Bay this morning with my toddler, he loves playing in the park there. Sunkist is 5 mins walk away from the house we rent. If you want a deserted beach then drive down to the bottom of Shelly Bay Road and try the beach there. If you catch the tide right....coming in mid afternoon... then the water gets really warm coming in over the hot rocks.... it can feel like stepping into a warm bath.... lovely. Have you been to Maraetai yet?? What a stunning beach that is!!

We love it here, so glad you like it too.... I keep saying on here how nice this area is. We hope to buy in Beachlands in the not so distant future but just sitting tight at the moment seeing what the exchange rate does before we sell up in the UK.

My parents arrive here for a 3 week visit next Saturday morning... I hope the sun comes out for them!

So welcome to the area!! Hope everything continues to go well for you.

Cheers

Sarah
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:33 am
Account Closed

Sega Mad is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to see you guys doing so well. Here's to you continued good fortune and happiness

Kind Regards

Ali
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Congrats Mel & Cathy!!!

We'll be following you soon....just waiting for that final decision envelope to come through the damn post!!!! Was told at interview we would be very unlikely to be declined so just having to wait for the dreaded WTR vs. PR decision!!!
Having two little girls we are of course worried about how they will adjust, but in some respects are lucky they are under 3 so no school tears unless the eldest freaks out at kindie!!!
Wish you all the best of luck!!!

Dave
Old Feb 11th 2006, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

nivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud ofnivlem has much to be proud of

Thank you all for your good wishes.
Sending Karma your way!
Love Cathy. x

Bu@@er!!! It seems I have to spread it around a little more! Will owe those that didn't get any this time!!!

Last edited by nivlem; Feb 11th 2006 at 10:36 pm. Reason: Karma updates!
Old Feb 14th 2006, 7:51 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nivlem
Hi everyone!
My, how time flies!
Anyway thats it for now!
Love Cathy
xxxxx

Hi Cathy,

Great post, it's good you've settled in well and are enjoying NZ. You've already adopted the kiwi lifestyle I see... (the pav and bbq amongst others)

Lucky you to be in Howick, it's a fantastic place to live in.

All the best for your new life in NZ and don't forget to post more updates!

Jen

ps: tried to give you best wishes/welcome to NZ karma but need to spread....apologies about that but will definitely give you some asap!

Last edited by urbanproject; Feb 14th 2006 at 7:59 am. Reason: karma....