Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Long stopover Auckland airport

Long stopover Auckland airport

Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Long stopover Auckland airport

Hi folks,

I'm travelling through Auckland with two little kids (5 and 2) in September and we have a massive 12 hour stopover before our next flight (we arrive in the morning and don't leave again until evening). I was wondering:

1) considering the airport seems fairly close to the city (but I have no idea what traffic's like), is it realistic to take transport into town and check things out

and 2) what you would recommend with 2 little kids. Honestly, even just a big green space where I could run them around until they're knackered is fine.

Thanks...
Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long stopover Auckland airport

After a long flight I guess that you might not be up to dragging the kids around the streets of central Auckland - it would take an hour at most anyway.

I would suggest perhaps staying in closer proximity to the airport, Butterfly Creek is very nearby and would be good for the kids, a bite to eat etc

http://www.butterflycreek.co.nz/

There's the botanical gardens if you really do want just an expanse of green open space (there's a nice cafe too)

http://www.aucklandbotanicgardens.co.nz/

or perhaps take a taxi to the zoo.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
After a long flight I guess that you might not be up to dragging the kids around the streets of central Auckland - it would take an hour at most anyway.

I would suggest perhaps staying in closer proximity to the airport, Butterfly Creek is very nearby and would be good for the kids, a bite to eat etc

http://www.butterflycreek.co.nz/

There's the botanical gardens if you really do want just an expanse of green open space (there's a nice cafe too)

http://www.aucklandbotanicgardens.co.nz/

or perhaps take a taxi to the zoo.
Thanks for that! I'm going to check out both suggestions!
Old Apr 11th 2010, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say butterfly creek too. It has a really good playground too that will tucker them out for sure and it's right by the airport.
Another place is Ambury farm if the weather is nice.
It's a working farm that they can visit and see the animals and run off some steam.
My daughter loves it, since she was a baby and now as an 8 year old
Ambury farm
It's in Mangere so also very close to the airport...although would be tricky to get a taxi back from unless you have your cell phone
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks!