Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Has anything changed?

Has anything changed?

Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:48 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anything changed?

Anything changed since I wrote this many years ago?

'i've been on (on indeed not on) here for a couple of years now and as with all forums the same old things are brought up over and over again. (If you are ever bored find a vw van forum and start a thread about the nice bull bars on the front of your van and see what happens )

A few examples that spring to mind on expats are:

1. NZ is pants
2. NZ is not pants

These first 2 are normally replied to with either:

1. You are a miserable sod therefore i shall point this glaringly obvious fact out to you.

2. You are far too happy and I am a miserable sod therefore I shall p*iss on your bonfire.

That covers the popular two.
The other themes that seem to circulate weekly are:

1.I have stuff already, will that stuff fit/work/explode in my face/make me the talk of the town and cause the local ladies to want to have my babies, when i get to NZ.

2. I dont have stuff, is there anything in NZ that might possibly be useful or will have to make my household appliances out of bits of twig, moss and spit.

3. I have heard that there are people who may be foreign living in NZ and i may have to interact with them. Is there a way I can avoid this, obviously i want to fit in, but only with people who are the same as me in every way. In fact can i be cloned to save me the trouble of starting conversations with smelly people.

4. I have bought a house/car/washing machine/puppy/jar of marmite/hotdog on a stick that i dont like very much. Can other people please sympathise with me and give me a hug and tell me it's not that i'm stupid, it's the locals that made me do it.

5. I am far cleverer than anyone else and feel that i need to point this out to the stupid people by telling them that they are stupid.

6. I am a better driver than anyone one else in the world. Ever.

7. I am from (insert country here) and we have things that are much better than NZ. I decided to move to NZ so that i could fulfill my lifes ambition of telling everyone in NZ how great (insert country here) is.

8. I used to live in NZ and i didnt like it. I feel i need to tell you that you wont like it either.

So your challenge dear forum user is to come up with an original thread, it should be relevant interesting and cause debate, but not have been covered before and deffo none of the examples above.

Ok so i'll start with the ideas,

How about a thread on the best sort of sofa to put on the front deck, or how come i can understand nearly everyone elses accent but no one seems to be able to understand mine?

I'm sure you will all have better ideas than mine.

Bevs can pick the winning idea.'
Old Mar 1st 2018, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anything changed?

By all that's wonderful, how lovely to see you here dusty bin.

Thanks for the just what I needed.

I shall have a think on it but my brain is foggy right now and doesn't work proper.
How are you?
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

Dear "theghost" etc. Its nice to see people coming back. I have a suggestion which it took me about 30 years to find out, why is it such a secret? well here it is for everyone. If you want a warm dry house forget the bits of tubing in the roof little fans and dehumidifiers etc.
Use your compass when you go house hunting and get a house on the north side of any hill, or at the very least with the living area facing north.
This as I promised is my last entry. good luck to all.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:42 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Nope nothing has changed - including that hilarious post still ringing true

Old Mar 1st 2018, 8:51 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Nope nothing has changed
Fair enough, see you all in another 5 years.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 10:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
Fair enough, see you all in another 5 years.
Noes you don't Binman. Are you still finding a decent pint down there?

We've got pop up craft beers all over the place now.

How's about something topical then.

The fight for NZ birds with 1080 drops?

Blinds or curtains (drapes) ?

Is WOW old hat?

Oops. Just seen I was being given the honour of picking the best idea.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Noes you don't Binman. Are you still finding a decent pint down there?

We've got pop up craft beers all over the place now.

How's about something topical then.

Is WOW old hat?

Oops. Just seen I was being given the honour of picking the best idea.
I miss two things hobgoblin and trooper ales
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 2:32 am
grumpy bugger

Is WOW old hat
I don’t know enough about 1080 To make an informed decision, but I tend to trust the science on these things.

Blinds

No. Although not a word I use due to being to grumpy to ever be that impressed.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:05 am
`

No. Although not a word I use due to being to grumpy to ever be that impressed.
See there. My written word is as muddled as ever.

I mean World of Wearable Art WOW.

I used Fab for a bit on here a while back and someone roundly told me no-one used such an ancient crusty old non-word.

I'll start the bird/1080 thread but it will likely sink into the sticky mire as not as provocative as the price of cucumbers,
Spoiler:
or decrying out of season toms
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 3:36 am
grumpy bugger

See there. My written word is as muddled as ever.

I mean World of Wearable Art WOW.

I used Fab for a bit on here a while back and someone roundly told me no-one used such an ancient crusty old non-word.

I'll start the bird/1080 thread but it will likely sink into the sticky mire as not as provocative as the price of cucumbers,
Spoiler:
or decrying out of season toms
That should be WOWA then.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
Dear "theghost" etc. Its nice to see people coming back. I have a suggestion which it took me about 30 years to find out, why is it such a secret? well here it is for everyone. If you want a warm dry house forget the bits of tubing in the roof little fans and dehumidifiers etc.
Use your compass when you go house hunting and get a house on the north side of any hill, or at the very least with the living area facing north.
This as I promised is my last entry. good luck to all.

is that it, what a load of twaddle,if thats all there is its no wonder people sit and shiver

How do you suggest keeping warm on overcast days or at night...good grief !!

Just do what the rest of the world does and put central heating in, its not rocket science is it

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 4th 2018 at 5:06 am.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Ex Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really niceEx Bristol is just really nice

The cold wind comes from the south, and that must be, hey ho, the bottom of the world.
Bugger, I said only 1 more post, slipped up there.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 5:40 am
`

That should be WOWA then.
It should but they skimped on the A in the interest of being thrifty &....seasonal.

Got any good photos?
Old Mar 4th 2018, 6:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ex Bristol
I have a suggestion which it took me about 30 years to find out, why is it such a secret? well here it is for everyone. If you want a warm dry house forget the bits of tubing in the roof little fans and dehumidifiers etc.
Presumably you have yet to test the theory.
Old Mar 4th 2018, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

I tested it after 3 damp houses, I now have a lovely dry one. You know how in the Uk they are always going on about a south facing garden, you just have to reverse it here. Northern Slopes has another meaning besides posh.