British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Lonely in Auckland! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/lonely-auckland-777160/)

JustJen91 Nov 10th 2012 4:24 am

Lonely in Auckland!

Hey Guys,

I moved here with my boyfriend (a kiwi) 8 months ago. Despite having two awesome jobs (I am classical ballet teacher at a dance school and a client manager for an extra curricular drama course) and a lovely house in West Auckland, I really miss my friends. The decision to come here was quite irrational; but I have no regrets. I am finding it quite hard making friends with kiwi women............

I was wondering if there are any other british ladies/ fellas in their early twenties that want to go for a drink/ lunch and rant about auckland drivers, terrible clothes shops and the lack of mr kiplings bakewell tarts?

please let me know!

Jen :)

(considering i am new to this, i don't know how many scary people are on here. please don't contact me if you are scary )

UK IFA Nov 10th 2012 5:39 am

Re: Lonely in Auckland!

Why not consider joining the local Rotary club, an international organisation that raises money for charities.

Catchafire Nov 10th 2012 6:32 am

Originally Posted by UK IFA (Post 10375352)
Why not consider joining the local Rotary club, an international organisation that raises money for charities.

Yeah right, like that is is a realistic option for someone in their 20's.

Hello Jan and welcome to the NZ branch of BE.

Yup it can be hard work making new connections. I am sure someone will be along with a coffee invite! As keep a eye open for postings about BE Auckland meet ups, that pop up once in a while.

cappuccino Nov 10th 2012 6:54 am

Look at www.meetup.com and see what groups of interest are near you. We have about 50 groups here in Wellington to cater to all interests and ages.

Or try your local Toastmasters club - a great confidence boosting activity with a varied membership all over the world.

RedDragon2008 Nov 10th 2012 7:02 am

Originally Posted by UK IFA (Post 10375352)

Great idea, you might want to add that a younger group called rotoract links in for those younger.

The Rotoract group were an amazing social network in Auckland (well back in the early 90's its was)

All areas would come together for some pretty big weekends in Taupo, Bay of Islands, fiji etc.

For anyone under 30 (or 35 and young at heart).

Good social interaction along with doing great things for the community.

UK IFA Nov 10th 2012 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 10375391)
Yeah right, like that is is a realistic option for someone in their 20's.

Hello Jan and welcome to the NZ branch of BE.

Yup it can be hard work making new connections. I am sure someone will be along with a coffee invite! As keep a eye open for postings about BE Auckland meet ups, that pop up once in a while.

I think you will find it caters for all age groups not just old uns.

The youngest we have is 16

But the point is, you meet people, families and get involved in the community, which potentially opens many doors.

emmaml Dec 12th 2012 7:51 pm

Hey Jen!
I can TOTALLY relate to what you said! I miss Mr Kipling!!! :) I'm originally from the UK (near Sheffield - but dont hold that against me!) and i have struggled to make friends over here - despite being here nearly 3 years! I must make it a new years resolution to make more of an effort to get a social network going! I dont think i'm that scary so if you wanna chat let me know. :)
Emma

Alfresco Dec 14th 2012 8:59 am

Might be worth sending Jen an email, since it has been a month and she has only made 1 post, which she may not be able to read. :blink:

zaras dad Dec 18th 2012 4:44 am

Not quite 20 :-) but will be at The Bluestone Room on friday from 5pm for drinks. have a look at the other post.

Sammy101 Dec 26th 2012 3:36 am

Hi there!! I live in the city and am all up for meeting new people for drinks, coffee, ranting and a good old boogie. Not quite early 20's...actually 29 but youg at heart :) Sam x

NZ4Now Feb 3rd 2013 5:00 am

Hi all

Always up for some drinks and laughs :)

Georgina

MeganConway91 Oct 4th 2013 12:12 am

Hi, Just saw this post... not sure if you still use this! Im 22 and just moved from Scotland to Auckland with my boyfriend. I dont know very many people yet either - if you fancy meeting up for a drink or whatever, let me know :)

Sammy101 Oct 4th 2013 12:16 am

Hi ladies, I know how hard it is to meet people and settle into New Zealand. Feel free to get in touch if you fancy a chat, drink or anything! [email protected] Sam 😊