British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Loneliness (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/loneliness-927976/)

Pammie007 Sep 17th 2019 10:47 pm

Loneliness

Any expats living in tauranga welcome bay fancy getting together for coffee

escapedtonz Sep 20th 2019 1:27 am

Re: Loneliness

Hi,
Yeah we've been in Tauranga 5 years now. Live in Te Puna. Have been in NZ getting on for 8 years.
Loads of expats here from the UK. Have met quite a few over the years and helped many out looking at properties for them, advising on areas to live/schools and all that jazz. Kept in touch with many who I see every now and then. Quite a few have also gone back home.......hopefully not because of me :p Have done several meet ups in the past but not done any for couple years since we built a new house. Just been too busy with one thing or another. Life has well and truly got in the way of socializing and many of them haven't stuck around on the forums.
Don't even think there's any organized expat meet ups or coffee mornings around locally ? I'd expect there's one in Pommiemoa (Papamoa :rofl:) as there's certainly the highest population of Brits there.
Please let us know a little bit more about you and your journey.
Cheers

Pammie007 Sep 20th 2019 5:11 am

Hi been in welcome bay for 6 years got our own nursery so self employed so no chance of meeting work mates. We live rural so have no idea who my neighbours are. Don't see a soul from one week to another and I'm starting to really feel it now the isolation is getting to me. When we were in Auckland had my own business and friends here we know no one. My kids are all grown up so it's just me and his indoors. I'm surprised there are no coffee mornings or meetings on here surely I'm not the only lonely pom out there

escapedtonz Sep 20th 2019 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Pammie007 (Post 12737586)
Hi been in welcome bay for 6 years got our own nursery so self employed so no chance of meeting work mates. We live rural so have no idea who my neighbours are. Don't see a soul from one week to another and I'm starting to really feel it now the isolation is getting to me. When we were in Auckland had my own business and friends here we know no one. My kids are all grown up so it's just me and his indoors. I'm surprised there are no coffee mornings or meetings on here surely I'm not the only lonely pom out there

We are rural too on the Western side of Tauranga. We do know our neighbours as we made a point to to say hello. Maybe you could do the same ?
There's plenty meet ups offered in Te Puna, Whakamarama and Omokoroa. They aren't specifically for expats but a mixture of anyone at a loose end and wishing to meet people for socializing. Join local Facebook groups, have a look at the website neighbourly, have a look in your local weekly paper and have a look at another website called Meetups. Maybe look at groups that you share an interest with like a hobby or sport other than "expats". There's also always a weekly request for people to play Petanque in Tauranga which is boules. If you wish to meet people then you just need to put yourself out there.

paddy234 Sep 29th 2019 3:05 am

I don't know if any of you guys still practice but would you every get involved in your local parish? My partner and i moved to North Canterbury a year ago and have met quite a few good friends now due to being involved in our local parish which we wouldn't have met otherwise. This is how communities got together in previous years in Europe which unfortunately seems to be on the decline. I feel we as community are more indifferent to each other these days so getting involved always get you out and meeting others.