Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lone adventurer...

Lone adventurer...

Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lone adventurer...

Ok, so Ive already posted about the plans my OH and I had to come over to NZ. Well, for reasons I dont need to go into we're not together anymore and Im wondering if its still a feasible option for me to do this alone?
We were always coming over on my visa anyway (Im a midwife) and werent counting any of his points so thats not an issue.

I know no one can answer it for me and I need to decide for myself but if anyone has any experience of emigrating on their own I'd really like to hear them.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lone adventurer...

I didn't emigrate per se, I came over to the UK in 2002 aged 26 on a WHV and haven't gone back home yet ( Jan 2010). 8 years on it is the best thing I have ever done! I met and married a British man and we have a just about 18month little girl.
I have grown and learnt in all aspects of my life, career, relationships, friendships, travel, learning about different cultures.

Doing it on my own has made me so much stronger, I know I can do anything I set my mind to.

If it is really something that you want to do, then I say go for it.
Especially if you have no complicated ties at home, it's worth at least giving it a go.

The first year was really hard for me, if someone had given me a ticket home I would have grabbed in two seconds flat but I stuck it out and have not regretted it for one second.

Best of luck, the decision you make will be the right one!!
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lisa - where are you aiming to settle in NZ?

I came here alone 2 years ago to Wellington and don't regret a thing.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cappuccino
Hi Lisa - where are you aiming to settle in NZ?

I came here alone 2 years ago to Wellington and don't regret a thing.
To be honest Im not sure. The original plan was Napier as there seemed to be a goodish chance of jobs there for my OH but now thats not a consideration Im not really sure.
There seems to be midwifery jobs pretty much all over so my options are open at the moment.
Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:27 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Do it!!

Don't look back!
Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Especially, if you don't have kids complicating matters.

If you still want to go, then go. I presume you've checked out that you could work as a midwife in NZ. The country is your oyster, or should I say, paua.

I've read a few threads from people in a similar situation who have gone anyway. Without the ready made relationship the problem is making friends to go out with - it's so much easier if you have a partner, but once you are working and getting involved in things you'll probably meet people and be invited out.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:48 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
Without the ready made relationship the problem is making friends to go out with - it's so much easier if you have a partner,
I disagree... In my case anyway...
Old Feb 21st 2010, 5:48 am
Banned

dytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nicedytopia is just really nice

Originally Posted by lisamct
Ok, so Ive already posted about the plans my OH and I had to come over to NZ. Well, for reasons I dont need to go into we're not together anymore and Im wondering if its still a feasible option for me to do this alone?
We were always coming over on my visa anyway (Im a midwife) and werent counting any of his points so thats not an issue.

I know no one can answer it for me and I need to decide for myself but if anyone has any experience of emigrating on their own I'd really like to hear them.
Hiya, it's feasible.I came by myself a few years ago. The two things about NZ which I've found difficult are making friends and finding jobs. Boredom and loneliness can become a problem. If you're struggling to find work (which is feasible as the kiwis tend to favour other kiwis until you have the all important 'kiwi experience') then not having a support network can be tough. Socially, Kiwis are quite clique, and it is hard to break into their established social groups. A girl from the philipines at work told me this last week. We were talking about the kiwi sense of humor. (or lack thereof, depending on perspective). Once you've found work, you will probably find it easier, as a lot of offices have Friday night drinks etc. Most of my friends over the years have turned out to be other Brits, and fellow migrants. At the moment, my closest pals are from the UK. I have a few other people who I chat to (Iraqis and people from the middle-east, believe it or not, out of work dentists...haha).

Summary : yes, doable. It is not easy though.

Last edited by dytopia; Feb 21st 2010 at 5:54 am.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I would have a job before I arrive, need a job offer to get enough points but as NZ is pretty short of midwives that shouldnt be a problem (ive already spoken to a few midwifery managers in NZ who have confirmed that) Im hoping that having a job would make settling a bit easier even if I am on my own.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it, won't be easy but hey, what is in life? All the luck in the world
Old Feb 21st 2010, 1:51 pm
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about

Good for you. One life, that's all we get so go for it. Don't have regrets in the future by missing this opportunity. You've come this far.... All the very best for you