Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Logistics/cars etc.....

Logistics/cars etc.....

Old Jul 28th 2013, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice
Default Logistics/cars etc.....

Hi All, with our move looming, we have started thing about the logistics of the first few weeks. We are shipping our camper van and have been really shocked to find out that our cutlery/crockery/bedding cannot stay in it!
Can anyone point us in the right direction for purchasing such items cheaply as we intend to stay in it for a couple of months!
Also cars, we are relocating to Auckland, any suggestions on where to look for cars, a friend did mention getting one from the port that is waiting to be registered? Is this possible/reasonable? She did it over 10 years ago!
Mobiles... Where from/network/contract?
Thanks everyone, I think I am worrying more now in these last few weeks at home than ever, little niggles are now turning into major crises!
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:23 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Logistics/cars etc.....

The Warehouse is like all the non-food departments of Tesco. Briscoes is similar to Robert Dyas hardware without the D.I.Y. and gardening stuff i.e. Briscoes sell crockery, cutlery, towels, bedsheets etc. Wait for the Briscoes sales, which come round about every 3 weeks and have good discounts.

Mr Rental and DTR rentals have a good selection of household goods and furniture to rent whilst waiting for your container to arrive. Explain what your situation is as you have no credit history in NZ.

Jucy rentals are a good and cheap rental car company. You could go to any car rental company, Google some names. Get yourself settled and when your head has stopped spinning you can think about buying a car. A rental car will be useful to get around in the interim.

Mobile phone networks in NZ are Vodafone, Telecom and 02. There's any number of iphones, smartphones, tablets etc etc here in NZ. You can get a SIM card for your existing phone I think. There's also a 2 year deal where you get a phone for nothing if you agree to a 2 contract, or something like that.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jul 28th 2013 at 8:30 am.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Phones:

Bring an unlocked phone with you, don't get locked in to a contract here, at least initially.

Get PAYG SIM when you get here while you get your bearings.

My reasons for my advice;

I've been here 4 weeks, whilst job and house hunting and I've only spent $15 on my pre-pay, with Vodafone.

Gawd knows how some people are using their phones, I was expecting them to be expensive after indications on here. I've even made a couple of calls to my UK credit card company!!

Surely 15 bucks in a month isn't expensive by anyone's standards? I could be wrong.
Old Jul 28th 2013, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

qssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really niceqssue is just really nice

Thanks chaps, all help gratefully received xxxx
Old Jul 28th 2013, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

ianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant futureianrobbo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by qssue
Hi All, with our move looming, we have started thing about the logistics of the first few weeks. We are shipping our camper van and have been really shocked to find out that our cutlery/crockery/bedding cannot stay in it!
Can anyone point us in the right direction for purchasing such items cheaply as we intend to stay in it for a couple of months!
Also cars, we are relocating to Auckland, any suggestions on where to look for cars, a friend did mention getting one from the port that is waiting to be registered? Is this possible/reasonable? She did it over 10 years ago!
Mobiles... Where from/network/contract?
Thanks everyone, I think I am worrying more now in these last few weeks at home than ever, little niggles are now turning into major crises!
We shipped our car over with Anglo Pacific and filled it to the brim with suitcases & boxes - Even a big goodie bag with Mars bars etc
Old Jul 29th 2013, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Has anyone else shipped a camper?
Old Jul 29th 2013, 3:25 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Snap shot has already mentioned it but just to reiterate:

NEVER BUY ANYTHING IN BRISCOES UNLESS IT IS AT SALE PRICE!!

If what you want isn't included in that weeks sale then wait, you'll get it half price the following week....
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Great tips thanks, think we are going to be learning to be frugal in NZ!!!
Old Jul 29th 2013, 4:45 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qssue
Great tips thanks, think we are going to be learning to be frugal in NZ!!!
It's not that bad!

Once you're here you'll realise that Briscoes ALWAYS has a sale on and always advertise the sale very noisily on TV . So to buy anything not 'on sale' is verging on foolish
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:38 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I bought all of my kitchen stuff from briscos. Everyone is right when they say wait for the sales, I got 60% off my stuff. Worth waiting for. Warehouse is cheap too. Happy shopping. Xx