Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Logistics of arrival: Renting / Cat

Logistics of arrival: Renting / Cat

Old Dec 26th 2012, 4:29 am
Just Joined

BronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really nice
Default Logistics of arrival: Renting / Cat

Hi there

I'm a kiwi (by birth, but a bit of a mix by nature after years living in the UK), living in Oz (for the past two and a bit years) who is probably making the leap back to living in New Zealand next year. I'm on my own and in my 40s.

I say probably making the leap because I seem to have a problem with committing... mostly brought about by the fear of not getting work.

Anyway, I'm likely to be moving back in around March 2013. Probably to Tauranga.

I'm wondering how to go about it logistically as I have a cat that I will want to bring with me. I'll be renting. How have others managed this? What do I do with the cat until I find somewhere to rent? At least, because I'm in Australia, I could make a couple of trips without too much expense (leaving the cat with a friend where I currently live and returning to get her once I have a place lined up)... but I'd prefer not to.

Because the cat is coming from Australia no quarantine period is needed (which I'm pleased about as she'd meow her head off. She's a bengal cat and needs a little more stimulation than regular cats).

Could I/should I rent a place before arriving? I don't want to be moving the cat too often in a short space of time.

I'd like to be able to arrange work before I move also, but I don't think I'll have much luck doing that as most of my work experience is related to office work: project office admin, EA, desktop publishing, document formatting, bid consulting, team administrator... that sort of thing.

Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks!
Old Dec 26th 2012, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Logistics of arrival: Renting / Cat

Originally Posted by BronC
Hi there

I'm a kiwi

I say probably making the leap because I seem to have a problem with committing... mostly brought about by the fear of not getting work.

Anyway, I'm likely to be moving back in around March 2013. Probably to Tauranga.

Could I/should I rent a place before arriving? I don't want to be moving the cat too often in a short space of time.

I'd like to be able to arrange work before I move also, but I don't think I'll have much luck doing that as most of my work experience is related to office work: project office admin, EA, desktop publishing, document formatting, bid consulting, team administrator... that sort of thing.

Any feedback is welcome!
Where in Australia are you residing? If Sydney or Melbourne does your current employer have opportunities for you to move across the tasman?

Have you made contact with any employment agencies in your field of office work?

My feeling is you would find it easier to find work in Auckland versus BOP.

Agree with your getting a place so the cat gets settled asap
Old Dec 26th 2012, 7:10 am
Just Joined

BronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really niceBronC is just really nice

Hi and thanks for the response.
I've recently left one job (as they were closing the Melbourne office) and started a new 3 month contract job. Occasionally there are jobs that come up in Auckland via my old employer but never outside of Auckland. My current job MAY help me get work in NZ but it's too soon to say as I've only been there two weeks.

I will contact temping agencies a bit nearer the end of my current contract.

I would prefer to avoid living in Auckland, as I want to get away from bigger cities. Ideally, I'd live in the middle of nowhere, but I'm not one of those who has that luxury, so BOP is a compromise. Other places I'd consider are the Hawkes Bay area and Nelson.... I appreciate that none of these areas are likely to have much work available. I'm happy to do whatever a person will employ me to do as long as it covers my cost of living.

I really would like to come 'home' to NZ but the older I get the more risk averse I get!

Thanks again for the input
Old Dec 26th 2012, 9:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi there and welcome.

I wouldn't rent a place without seeing it first.

We brought our two mogs over from the UK. They stayed in a cattery for a few weeks whilst a suitable rental was found.

It's doable.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

We head over in April. Th cats will be in quarantine for 10 days so hopefully will find somewhere soon, to minimise their cattery stay.

Is your Bengal 5th Gen or more? They don't let Bengals in without evidence of them being at least 5th Gen. Take a good luck first, I would hate for him/her to be turned away/import permit declined.

We a have a 3year old Snow Bengal, she's 5th Gen so can come. No way would I leave her behind

Rach x
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rachel
Thanks for the reply.
I have contacted the breeder about evidence of her being 5th generation (as I had read it was a requirement to show evidence). He said he'd look into it as he had not heard of that requirement between Aus and NZ. I replied by sending him a link to where it states it needs to be provided.

I'll follow up with him after the New Year celebrations are out of the way - when everyone returns to 'normal' routine.

I don't blame you for not wanting to leave your snow bengal behind. All the best for your arrival and everyone's adjustment (including the cat's).
Old Dec 30th 2012, 9:45 pm
`

Originally Posted by RachelG12
Is your Bengal 5th Gen or more? They don't let Bengals in without evidence of them being at least 5th Gen. Take a good look first, I would hate for him/her to be turned away/import permit declined.

We a have a 3year old Snow Bengal, she's 5th Gen so can come. No way would I leave her behind

Rach x
Karma for such an interesting and helpful piece of info.RachelG12.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

The Bengal is a hybrid breed of domestic cat. Bengals result from crossing a domestic feline with an Asian leopard cat (ALC), Prionailurus bengalensis bengalensis.

The Bengal cat has a desirable "wild" appearance with large spots, rosettes, and a light/white belly, and a body structure reminiscent of the ALC.[1] The Bengal possesses a gentle domestic cat temperament, provided it is separated by at least three generations from the original crossing between a domestic feline and an ALC

Source : Wikipedia of course

In case people were wondering
Old Jan 1st 2013, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Hi there and welcome.

I wouldn't rent a place without seeing it first.

We brought our two mogs over from the UK. They stayed in a cattery for a few weeks whilst a suitable rental was found.

It's doable.
How much did moving a cat over cost? I have one I would like to bring.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

RachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to allRachelG12 is a name known to all

You're looking at >£1000 including vets fees.
They need to be up to date with their vaccine's, microchipped and have rabies vaccine and a titre (we paid £150 for the rabies and titre test per cat, and one needed to be one twice).

There are loads of pet transport companies out there that will do a free flight quote. We haven't decided on our company yet but Golden Arrow, Pets away UK, and Airpets have all been highly recommended. On top of this there are quarantine fees.

They're costing us a bomb but couldn't be without them
Old Jan 1st 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

That's roughly what I expected. I wasn't sure what to do but he is only 8, we lost his 'sister' to cancer las year, she was 7, I have had him since he was 6 weeks, not sure I could send him to be rehomed.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

One of our girls is 3, the other 18 although you would never think so to look at her, fit as a fiddle, minus a few (well most of) her teeth :-)
Old Jan 1st 2013, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

18!! Wow! That's one tough cookie cat!
Old Jan 1st 2013, 10:35 pm
`

Originally Posted by RachelG12
One of our girls is 3, the other 18 although you would never think so to look at her, fit as a fiddle, minus a few (well most of) her teeth :-)
Good going

Pics purrrlease.

I love my remaining pusscat.
Old Jan 2nd 2013, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Good going

Pics purrrlease.

I love my remaining pusscat.
Will get some up asap, need to go on the PC for photo's xx