Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Location suggestions!!!!

Location suggestions!!!!

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew_Famly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Location suggestions!!!!

If working at Auckland airport, what areas would offer a journey of up to 40 mins and be in a good family area with good schools????
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice
Default Re: Location suggestions!!!!

40 mins at what time of day?

Blockhouse Bay > Titirangi if going west. Maybe avoid Mt Roskill

Id avoid South Auckland suburbs like Mangere, Manurewa, Papatoetoe, Otara Takanini & Papakura - Which is pretty cover sthe whole of South Auckland.

Saying that everywhere has there good and bad bits

Howick and Botany might be a tad far but perhaps doable depending on time.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

travel times around 5am and 3.30pm. Would that be manageable from North Shore?
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

North Shore is a long way from the airport I'm afraid. Not somewhere I'd want to drive to on a regular basis.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/network/proj...ect.html?ID=29
should change a few things though.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I would think you could get from the lower bits of the Shore to the airport in less than 40 mins at those times - the bits closest to the city, so areas like Northcote, Birkenhead, Takapuna etc.

To the north east of the airport, Howick, Bucklands Beach, botany Downs and surrounding areas are all nice and maybe 30 mins to the airport?

Or if you want to be semi-rural, to the east, Brookby, Whitford and Clevedon are lovely, again about 30 mins away, quite $$$ though. Mind you, so are many of the areas on the Shore.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want a more country lifestyle would recommend Waiuku.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Originally Posted by westie1234
If you want a more country lifestyle would recommend Waiuku.
I lived in Pukekohe for a year and worked at Middlemore Hospital, Its a tedious commute and Waiuku adds more Kms to the journey.

Wouldnt be my choice but I worked with people who did it and didnt mind.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gazmac
I lived in Pukekohe for a year and worked at Middlemore Hospital, Its a tedious commute and Waiuku adds more Kms to the journey.

Wouldnt be my choice but I worked with people who did it and didnt mind.
Can understand that, just prefer the area more than Pukekohe.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 7:54 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

5am and a 40 minute commute will allow you most of Auckland. 3.30pm return will be more tricky as you'll be hitting school traffic. You'll probably find that your budget will play heavily on your location choice too.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

I know it may be a gamble with travelling but I am swaying towards Torbay. Any views??? Any roads to avoid?
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Nice. There wouldn't be many 'bad' roads in the area. I've heard that Danbury Drive, round the back of Glamorgan School has some lowlife (from people who rented there), and a couple of the roads around County Rd and Awaruku aren't that flash, but that is relative. It's pretty nice all over, and Torbay is a BIG suburb, so it has a different feel to various parts. If you take a drive around you might be able to highlight streets you prefer, and any that have boyracer cars parked in abundance...
Old Jan 30th 2014, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Torbay is nice (from what I know) but I think it will increase your commute up to about an hour, possibly longer.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Torbay is nice (from what I know) but I think it will increase your commute up to about an hour, possibly longer.
Airport to Torbay - would be about the most diametrically opposed commute you could possibly choose. If I were you I would wait until you're here before making that kind of a decision - I wouldn't want to do it and might only recommend it to my worst enemy.

We looked at some houses around there and decided against it largely to do with boy racer noise (see comment above); it is very mixed with older and newer bits you will soon get a feel for the better roads, some I really felt were a bit rough - Deep Creek Road I really didn't like and take on board that boy racer comment and check for rubber on the road.

I haven't been around that way for some years but did like some of the newer places at Torbay 'heights' - heights meaning hardly in Torbay at all i.e. farthest away from the sea towards the East coast road.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
it is very mixed with older and newer bits you will soon get a feel for the better roads, some I really felt were a bit rough - Deep Creek Road I really didn't like and take on board that boy racer comment and check for rubber on the road.
Some of the bigger roads, like DCR, Glamorgan Drive etc, also suffer from high traffic. I was doing a bit of work on one of these roads in the week, and noticed that a vehicle passed about every 15 seconds - this was on a 'quiet' midweek afternoon, around 1.30... and then there are the buses, which really rattle through.

However, off the main roads, it is fairly quiet - with a lot of no exit streets.

Another Torbay anecdote - on a weekend morning, all of the suburb wakes up and heads out. As it's a dormitory suburb with a lot of families (= multiple cars per household), the traffic at this time is jaw dropping. I've heard it can take 10 minutes to get out of a side road onto, say Deep Creek Road (on any given 10am Sat or Sun) !!!
Old Feb 1st 2014, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dawn a friend of mine is a mechanic for airnz at the airport he commutes from Browns Bay fine at those times and still back to run local scout group at 6
Torbay is lovely but you really need to be on the ground I would rent first we have had some lovely rentals 5 mins walk from sea and not pricey that take pets pm for more details tbh if Deep Creek toad is ruff its not the boy racers but the out of service buses but its a far cry from blackbird leys estate very little of the shore is all 5 schools in Torbay are decile 10 that tells you something all 3 primaries are good schools but different regards Jane