Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Location to move to??

Location to move to??

Old Jun 15th 2019, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Glenn120903 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Location to move to??

Hi - I’ve been offered a job in Auckland on a two year contract and my wife and I are excited but hesitant... excited as it’s a new adventure but hesitant because we have three young children - 4, 8, 10 and we are worried about what impacts there might be on them.

In particular we are wondering where to move to - we would like a smallish town but In commutable distance to Auckland where there are good schools, reasonable priced accommodation for rent and a family community feel.

Any suggestions on location or any advice on the whole topic from anyone would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

Glenn
Old Jun 15th 2019, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location to move to??

I don't have kids so can't give you an answer from that perspective.

New Zealand is not like the UK.Auckland is not a city with a plethora of different country towns around it. It is a colossal suburb and if you are working there you will be living there.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glenn120903
In particular we are wondering where to move to - we would like a smallish town but In commutable distance to Auckland where there are good schools, reasonable priced accommodation for rent and a family community feel.

Have a look at recent Auckland and Auckland housing threads, you need to look at a map of Auckland for starters and narrow it down a bit depending on where your work is.

First things first, notice the lie of the land and you will see there are very few places that you might consider as a 'smallish towns' within commuting distance. Auckland is as BIG and widespread as London and there are not really an outlying small 'towns' that are commutable unless your job is on the outskirts of Auckland. Hamilton is 100km south of the most southerly part of Auckland and there is not much at all in between. Warkworth is nice but about 40kms from the northern suburbs. Orewa and Whangaparaoa could be worth a look but will depend entirely on where your job is, as they both would guarantee a long slow 40km commute to CBD in bumper to bumper traffic for 75 - 80% of the way on work days

The term 'reasonable priced accommodation' when talking about Auckland in the same sentence is an oxymoron - what do you consider to be reasonable priced accommodation?

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Jun 16th 2019 at 12:49 am.
Old Jun 16th 2019, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends where your work is will determine roughly where you want to live.
If your working north I would stay north.
If I was working south I would stay somewhere south.
The housing prices will determine where you live in th UK to what you class as reasonable in Auckland.
I lived in Essex before moving out here and get more for my money in NZ. If your from up North in the UK you might be in for a shock at house prices in Auckland. your talking at least 550 dollars for 3 bed house minimuim a week.
As been said already you haven't got much to chose from outside Auckland that's commutable it's not like the UK. Were you can work in one town or city and live in another it's to spread out.