Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Location location location

Location location location

Old Sep 18th 2016, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location location location

Originally Posted by elainec_nz
I assume from your list and your indecision you have never visited NZ?
The problem with your list is that it covers the whole of NZ (apart from Auckland) which is a country of huge diversity in culture, cost of living, population and the weather. And, you'll find biased views everywhere. It's a bit like asking a Southerner (UK) what living in the North is like... Even if they've never visited, they'll have an opinion.

I first moved to Dunedin where my family reside and I love it. Otago is simply stunning and it's so easy to get to the Southern Alps. House prices are still reasonable too. For me, job vacancies (in IT) were few but once I looked at the bigger cities, Welly & Auckland, I quickly found a job.
I love Wellington. It can be windy but in reality strong winds are not a daily occurrence and you can always find a sheltered spot.
The more north you go, the warmer the winter will be, but it can also become very humid around Auckland. Personally, I can do cold, windy and hot, but not high humidity.

Rental prices will vary considerably across the country too. No different to the UK there.
In the UK I owned my home, so renting has been a shock. The main problem is the lack of regulations placed upon landlords to provide a reasonable standard of accommodation. Do not expect central heating or double glazing.

Wherever you begin your life in NZ, it's doesn't have to be permanent.
Thank you. I have visited Nz however it's different being a tourist and living there
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:17 am
Just Joined

Cryoslider is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,
I think a good idea would be to go to the up coming Immigration New Zealand Employment Expo at Sandown Park Esher on the weekend of OCT 15th,16th , they have Accent Health recruitment running a stand so they could be of some help not to mention all the other stands that will be there, I went to one last year and it was very useful.

P.S this is Ari from Nicu's Dad.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

inkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond reputeinkedneonurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cryoslider
Hiya,
I think a good idea would be to go to the up coming Immigration New Zealand Employment Expo at Sandown Park Esher on the weekend of OCT 15th,16th , they have Accent Health recruitment running a stand so they could be of some help not to mention all the other stands that will be there, I went to one last year and it was very useful.

P.S this is Ari from Nicu's Dad.

Hey up mate...how's lil man doing? Funny you should mention that I've got tickets.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Cryoslider is an unknown quantity at this point

He's doing great thanks, I'll pm you!
Old Sep 21st 2016, 12:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
Is it a specific Neonatal unit that you are looking for as they are not all Neonatal or should I say NICU (Newborn Intensive Care Unit) ?

For instance, the Tauranga unit is a SCBU. They only take baba's that are 32 weeks and over 1.5kg's and don't usually have critically ill baba's. For those and baba's that are born prior to this gestation or under this weight they must go to the NICU at Waikato Hospital, Hamilton.
Not all the places on your list will have what I think you think is a NICU, or what you know as a Neonatal unit in the UK ?
Hamilton and Wellington does for sure as we were threatened with Hamilton NICU when our latest was born at 31 and 1 and 1.51kg's and an ex. pat friend of ours who's a Neonatal nurse from Lancashire got a job in the Wellington NICU.

NICU/SCBU - NNCA
Thats really handy info, thanks

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse
Cheers I'm not specifically after a NICU would be happy in a scubu and looked at the NzNo page to get places that had the most cots logic being they were more likely to need nurses
Have you found there to be many openings in NICU or SCBU? The agencies are all full of 'yeah, loads of jobs, give us your CV' but when searching adverts, job sites etc there don't seem to be too many actual jobs out in the open. Have you done any serious job hunting yet?
Old Sep 21st 2016, 6:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thats really handy info, thanks

Have you found there to be many openings in NICU or SCBU? The agencies are all full of 'yeah, loads of jobs, give us your CV' but when searching adverts, job sites etc there don't seem to be too many actual jobs out in the open. Have you done any serious job hunting yet?
The jobs are out there looking at the sites. I've seen them in Akl,Dunedin and nelson as with anything in such a small trade a little bit of luck will be needed,I'm currently with accent health recruitment they are the preferred provider for most hospitals. They are also free.They had two jobs on the books when I spoke to them last however as I'm not planning on moving till late 17 they will start looking for me in January. Takes some of the stress out that way. If all else fails I will fall back on my A&e skill set

Last edited by inkedneonurse; Sep 21st 2016 at 6:38 am.