Lizards?

Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:00 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lizards?

What do the kiwis call those little lizards over here, there's loads on our land at the mo and they're very cool
Old Jan 29th 2007, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Lizards?

Originally Posted by sky
What do the kiwis call those little lizards over here, there's loads on our land at the mo and they're very cool
Geckos or skinks...
http://www.reptiles.org.nz/faqs.htm
http://www.reptilepark.co.nz/nzlizard.htm
Just the coolest little animals =)
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:50 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Geckos or skinks...
http://www.reptiles.org.nz/faqs.htm
http://www.reptilepark.co.nz/nzlizard.htm
Just the coolest little animals =)
SKINKS that's the one!
It was on the tip of my tongue but I just couldn't think of the right name for them!
Thank you
Old Jan 29th 2007, 11:57 pm
sky
Banned

Do they smell?

It's just that there's this really nasty sicky musky smell on part of our land and I noted there were lots of these skinks making an appearance just about the same time I noticed the smell. Or is it possum ... or deer ... anyone?
Old Jan 30th 2007, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Do they smell?

It's just that there's this really nasty sicky musky smell on part of our land and I noted there were lots of these skinks making an appearance just about the same time I noticed the smell. Or is it possum ... or deer ... anyone?

That's your septic tank leaking.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:25 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Boopy
That's your septic tank leaking.
Nope, we don't have one even on the land yet ... it's just a big bare block of land with pine trees on some of it at the mo
Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:42 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think they smell, Sky. They are lovely though - have you heard of the green green-blooded skink? I'm not sure if that particular brand is in NZ but they have green blood! As you might guess from the name.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 10:20 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by mazi
I don't think they smell, Sky. They are lovely though - have you heard of the green green-blooded skink? I'm not sure if that particular brand is in NZ but they have green blood! As you might guess from the name.
The ones we have on our land are lovely and brown, their skin is so slick, I love them, they're so different.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sky
We had loads of skinks in the garden of our last house - hot&dry seems to do it for them - unfortunately, my cat was a passionate skink hunter - they shed their tails to avoid capture, so I'm sure we had the biggest colony of tailless skinks in Wellington! A friend read somewhere that skinks lay down fat in their tails to keep them going during the winter - as she also had a skink-hunter, she put down dishes of sugar water in the autumn in a vain hope she could fatten up her skinks for the winter...

Skinks are pointy nosed, sleek things - geckos have broader heads and are more matt finished - I woke up one morning and put on a pair of socks I'd left by the bedside the night before - in one was something cold, clammy and ... alive I tore off sock and something squirmy flew through the air and plopped on the carpet - you've guessed .... a gecko - don't know which one of us was more horrified ....

When we moved, I found a flat, dessicated skink underneath a rug - looked a bit like one of those brooches that grannies wear - momentarily, I thought about painting it and putting a pin on it