Reload this Page >

Living in Waipawa, Hawkes Bay

Living in Waipawa, Hawkes Bay

Old Apr 29th 2018, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

salbobs is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Living in Waipawa, Hawkes Bay

Hi everyone,

I'm new on here and we're planning emigration in the near future. My (Kiwi) partner's family and friends are mainly based in Napier/Hastings area but I think we've been priced out of that market. What is it like to live in Waipawa and is the commute ok into Hastings?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in Waipawa, Hawkes Bay

I grew up in Hawkes Bay. It's not that far if you're used to commuting - however Waipawa is very much the small town NZ. If you're up for that it's fine.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Facebook group 'new to chb' will help massively
Old Apr 30th 2018, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much, folks. :0)
Old Apr 30th 2018, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Princess_Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

Should say that you would have to commute by car as I can't imagine the bus service being very frequent and they have long since closed the rail links from Central HB to Napier/Wellington.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Princess_ Buttercup.... I should have said I meant by car. It's still not a bad commute by UK standards, and much nicer roads ! Cheers.
Old May 1st 2018, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of people commute from Waipawa, Waipukurau into Hastings and Napier. Good road with loads of passing lanes. Scenic. I know this because I grew up in Central Hawkes Bay and have family in Waipawa and Y’puk. In fact I’m heading to Waipawa tomorrow!

There are some quite nice older style villas and some pleasant leafy established streets. Considered a low socio economic area but is beginning to show some signs of rejuvenation, as people from Auckland are quietly moving into the region. Waipawa is a very small farming centred town - nothing flash- but it has the basics and is filled with friendly, unpretentious locals.
Old May 1st 2018, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Living in Waipawa, Hawkes Bay

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
Loads of people commute from Waipawa, Waipukurau into Hastings and Napier. Good road with loads of passing lanes. Scenic. I know this because I grew up in Central Hawkes Bay and have family in Waipawa and Y’puk. In fact I’m heading to Waipawa tomorrow!

There are some quite nice older style villas and some pleasant leafy established streets. Considered a low socio economic area but is beginning to show some signs of rejuvenation, as people from Auckland are quietly moving into the region. Waipawa is a very small farming centred town - nothing flash- but it has the basics and is filled with friendly, unpretentious locals.
Hi Hokey-pokey,

Thanks very much for that. It will be added to the decision-making portfolio .
Some of the villas look lovely too
Old May 8th 2018, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Living in Waipawa, Hawkes Bay

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
Facebook group 'new to chb' will help massively
Thanks Timmy Chch. I joined and it's very informative.
Old May 8th 2018, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Also, is there just a primary school?
Where are the nearest/eligible secondary schools?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 9th 2018, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again. I’m writing this from Waipawa! ( visiting the family again). There is one primary school in Waipawa and three in Y’Puk. Central Hawke’s Bay College ( secondary school) is in Y’puk. Some locals send their teens to boarding schools in Hastings/Napier/Havelock North. Am here for a few more days so fire ahead with any questions and I’ll ask the relos.
Old May 10th 2018, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Hello again. I’m writing this from Waipawa! ( visiting the family again). There is one primary school in Waipawa and three in Y’Puk. Central Hawke’s Bay College ( secondary school) is in Y’puk. Some locals send their teens to boarding schools in Hastings/Napier/Havelock North. Am here for a few more days so fire ahead with any questions and I’ll ask the relos.
Thanks again Hokey-pokey, sounds like there are a few options then.

Are there enough supermarkets/stores in Waipawa to avoid going into Hastings or Y'puk for most general items?
Are there many Pommies in Waipawa?
How often does the fire siren thing go off (apologies for the incorrect terminology!!)?

Many thanks for your efforts.
Old May 11th 2018, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Waipawa has a small but adequate supermarket, pharmacy, a couple of second hand shops, bottle store, fish and chip shop, a butchers, organic veg shop and a cafe. Y’puk is only 5 mins drive away but imo you’d be better off doing your clothes and furniture shopping in Hastings/Napier.
I’m guessing you’re referring to the fire station siren. I haven’t heard it sound in the time I’ve been visiting this week so I don’t think it would be a major issue. It’s only ever used to summon the volunteer fire crew etc but yes I have heard it in the past and it is indeed very loud (in order to rally the troops from the pub/their slumbers etc.).
The relos couldn’t think of any recently arrived Brits to the area. Trust me they’d know cos everyone notices everything and everyone in these small places

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; May 11th 2018 at 7:31 am. Reason: Spelling
Old May 11th 2018, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Waipawa has a small but adequate supermarket, pharmacy, a couple of second hand shops, bottle store, fish and chip shop, a butchers, organic veg shop and a cafe. Y’puk is only 5 mins drive away but imo you’d be better off doing your clothes and furniture shopping in Hastings/Napier.
I’m guessing you’re referring to the fire station siren. I haven’t heard it sound in the time I’ve been visiting this week so I don’t think it would be a major issue. It’s only ever used to summon the volunteer fire crew etc but yes I have heard it in the past and it is indeed very loud (in order to rally the troops from the pub/their slumbers etc.).
The relos couldn’t think of any recently arrived Brits to the area. Trust me they’d know cos everyone notices everything and everyone in these small places
This is a great help, thanks again Hokey-pokey.
Old May 22nd 2018, 8:38 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

we used to live in the Hawkes bay Tararua area and WE LOVED IT.
The summers are long and hot and the east coast, for my money has the best beaches in all of NZ.
Waipawa is small enough for people to know your name so it feels a bit like the 60s were back in the UK. Waipuk, just down the road has countdown and new world so there's a bit of competition and an excellent cinema.
I think it's a lovely part of NZ, expect for one thing. Much like New Plymouth and Gissy, Napier/Hastings is out on it's own. If you want to go to Auckland/Wellington, then you'll find it's always a drive or you have to fly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.