Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Living on Waiheke Island

Living on Waiheke Island

Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

drcallycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living on Waiheke Island

My husband and I arrived in Auckland 3.5 years ago and we're thinking of buying on Waiheke Island. We've read all the other threads and visited numerous times, plus chatted to locals, but I keep hearing about a 'good' and 'bad' side of the island to live on....does anyone know more about this? I think it's to do with the sun direction but can't seem to find out any further info.....
Old Mar 8th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living on Waiheke Island

Originally Posted by drcallycat View Post
My husband and I arrived in Auckland 3.5 years ago and we're thinking of buying on Waiheke Island. We've read all the other threads and visited numerous times, plus chatted to locals, but I keep hearing about a 'good' and 'bad' side of the island to live on....does anyone know more about this? I think it's to do with the sun direction but can't seem to find out any further info.....
Loving the font!
No idea, but I was put off by the ferry-based commute, and the sense of isolation. Car-based trips to the mainland - or longer - are not so cheap re ferry costs?! One of the great things about NZ is getting out and about. I imagine you would be wedded to Island life and pretty much that, no?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011 View Post
Loving the font!
No idea, but I was put off by the ferry-based commute, and the sense of isolation. Car-based trips to the mainland - or longer - are not so cheap re ferry costs?! One of the great things about NZ is getting out and about. I imagine you would be wedded to Island life and pretty much that, no?
Yeah I am worried about the isolation and the ferry as I currently work in Howick! It's just so difficult to buy in Auckland and every house seems to go way above CV price or goes before auction. The property on Waiheke is all set price and we do love it over there....decisions, decisions.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 2:55 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

My mum has a couple of properties on Waiheke which she plans to retire to when she stops work. She's a school principal so she goes over for the school holidays. She doesn't commute but gets the car ferry over from Half Moon Bay. I go over frequently and have a long term plan of running my business from over there. What is it you want to know exactly?

I personally would not like to commute from between Howick and WI 5 days a week. I work from home and could meet clients on the mainland 2 or 3 days a week. You have to think of how you get to the ferry at each end too. It's doable from Matiatia to the CBD - many do commute. Where you live on the island is key. E.g. Onetangi to Kennedy Point (no regular bus service), then Half Moon Bay to Howick would take ages I would think. Since my business is based in the Eastern suburbs I'm thinking of maybe buying a scooter and riding from Onetangi to the ferry, take it over and continue riding to my appointments in Botany or wherever. But the ferry costs are high and it would be miserable in the rain.

Really hard to say. I'm seeing my mum later - I'll ask her opinion.

Last edited by jmh; Mar 9th 2013 at 3:18 am.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 3:22 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

There's a lot of new development out East - what about buying a section and building a house?
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:43 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

Well mum was a bit more positive. You could drive to Kennedy Point, have your breakie and a coffee on the ferry (40mins) and then catch a bus to Howick.

Regarding the right/wrong side of the island, that's a bit historical. Basically the right side is where the sandy beaches are (mostly North), 'wrong' is where the shingle beaches are. I think it's just a case of where you feel comfortable. There's quite a big price difference between locations and areas. There are quite a lot of cultural activities and events on around the year. You can also get the ferry right in to the CBD. I guess ferry cost is the main issue there.

Other issues - no mains water (tank only - WI often escapes the rain which has a down side in terms of tank water. You can buy it though. Also you will have a septic tank.

I like the idea of living there. I'm guessing you could become part of the community quite easily. Mum said there are quite a few ex-pat Brits there too.

Hope that helps
Old Mar 11th 2013, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by drcallycat View Post
Yeah I am worried about the isolation and the ferry as I currently work in Howick! It's just so difficult to buy in Auckland and every house seems to go way above CV price or goes before auction. The property on Waiheke is all set price and we do love it over there....decisions, decisions.

Hi Callycat, i guess the question would be what you are looking for and why you are considering the move to Waiheke? if this fits n with your longer plan then go for it, you came to NZ for the adventure and to follow your dream, if its still part of your dream then you have nothing to loose
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the views and opinions. I want to live there on a big section and eventually set up a cattery business as well as keep some chooks. I only work 4 days a week in Howick but would aim to reduce it over time as the cattery takes off. This is all a 5 year plan and need to do lots more research yet.
The 2 main issues for me are the ferry commute then getting to and from the terminal and work, and being cut off from friends and activities in Auckland. I guess trips to Ack would just take a bit more planning. We'd have 2 cars - one on the island and another on the mainland at Half Moon Bay maybe...
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 10:04 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Living on Waiheke Island

I love the idea of a "wrong" side to Waiheke Island.

"Did we just take a wrong turn and cross the railway tracks? This is the rough and uncultured side of the island darling, these barbarous cretins pronounce Moët although it didn't have a T! Quickly wind up your window and lock your door Rupert, Charlotte give your piggy bank to mummy to look after."
Old Mar 26th 2013, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
I love the idea of a "wrong" side to Waiheke Island.
It's not exactly the Champagne lifestyle paradise island that some suggest, unless you can afford the millions of dollars of private beach front hideaway baches like Graham Henry et al.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/waiheke-is...ectid=10618206

It's mostly full of old hippies and drop outs and I think at one time it's main claim to fame was for having the busiest WINZ office in the country.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 26th 2013 at 6:07 am.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 6:23 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Oh .
Old Mar 27th 2013, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Jaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant futureJaydi has a brilliant future

I've been over to Waiheke a few times and can't say I noticed any hippies or dropouts. The cinema in Oneroa is worth a visit if you want to try something different. It's a lounge cinema and the seating consists of an assortment of sofas donated by locals - some of which are more comfy than others!