Living in NZ....

Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

nurseinmansfield is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living in NZ....

...hi all,

A singlie looking to come over, am a nurse, just wondering if i would be able to live comfortably over in NZ or would I find it too expensive to be able to travel and see that side of the world??

I know different parts of NZ have different living costs....but am after some general info!

I don't want to get there and then be isolated and sitting at home all weekend cos I can't afford to get out and explore........
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in NZ....

I'm sure you'll get by, but it is by no means cheap and no surprise that there's a weekly news article about how much things cost here compared to the rest of the world

Just from today's Herald:

'Food prices a shock for immigrant'

Gobsmacked at the price of basic foods, she has visited a lot of Auckland supermarkets and greengrocers in pursuit of lower prices, in pursuit of food she can afford. She finds it cheaper to buy at smaller fruit and vegetable shops - but that means more fuel costs.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10781926

'Food glorious food - but what a price'

New Zealanders are now paying some of the world's highest prices for basic foods such as milk, chicken and eggs. That may be good news for our farmers and our export economy, but it's hard on family shopping bills.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10781924

Depends what you mean by travelling, are you talking local like or popping over to pacific islands for weekends and Australia once or twice a year.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks,
I saw the article re the cost of food in NZ....would love to know where the woman in the article brought loaves of bread in the UK for 25pence!!!

Would love to hop over to Oz......weekends there etc.....costs permitting!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome. Have you got your NZ nursing registration? Check out the requirements, as Nursing Council of NZ have made some changes from March 1st for international nurse registration.

Cheers Gill
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Cost you about 400 bucks in flights then hotels on top for a weekend in OZ, do able on most wages if you budget for it.
living costs vary around the country but the I'd say the biggest variable is rent, Auckland is very expensive but you can house share
for around 150 bucks a week then its just food and transport. I dont know what nurses earn but I know a few who live comfortably by themselves
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Justcol.......that's what I needed to hear!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Gill & Rob.....best get my forms filled in now!!
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurseinmansfield
Thanks,
I saw the article re the cost of food in NZ....would love to know where the woman in the article brought loaves of bread in the UK for 25pence!!!

Would love to hop over to Oz......weekends there etc.....costs permitting!
I'd love to know where she bought loaves of bread in NZ for $1.90 - at least $4 for nice bread.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

killercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud ofkillercat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nurseinmansfield
...hi all,

A singlie looking to come over, am a nurse, just wondering if i would be able to live comfortably over in NZ or would I find it too expensive to be able to travel and see that side of the world??

I know different parts of NZ have different living costs....but am after some general info!

I don't want to get there and then be isolated and sitting at home all weekend cos I can't afford to get out and explore........
Lots of young single nurses work at north-shore hospital, many got their flights over here paid for too! there is also an internal web page where people advertise accommodation and flat shares. My understanding from the nurses i work with is that the wage is slightly higher that the uk, but im not 100% sure on that as im just a mere SW on less that the uk lol good luck with your search.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
I'd love to know where she bought loaves of bread in NZ for $1.90 - at least $4 for nice bread.
Nice loaf of fresh bread from our local bakery is $1 in Henderson. You can't get sod all from the bakeries in Kingsland for a dollar.

I normally hit Countdown after 8pm to fill a basket with all the reduced bread.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I think something was lost in translation in the article. She might have been telling Kiwis that a decent non-offer loaf of bread in the UK was £1, instead of about £3 in NZ.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Nice loaf of fresh bread from our local bakery is $1 in Henderson. You can't get sod all from the bakeries in Kingsland for a dollar.

I normally hit Countdown after 8pm to fill a basket with all the reduced bread.
We've not bought a loaf of bread now for over a year, make our own in a bread machine. Works out at about $1/loaf. better than anything in the supermarkets & you get the added bonus of the wonderful freshly made bread smell in the kitchen
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by killercat
Lots of young single nurses work at north-shore hospital, many got their flights over here paid for too! there is also an internal web page where people advertise accommodation and flat shares. My understanding from the nurses i work with is that the wage is slightly higher that the uk, but im not 100% sure on that as im just a mere SW on less that the uk lol good luck with your search.
It's quite a bit higher than the UK now because of the exchange rate. If i were the OP I would look at being in a lower north island area, more central position for exploring.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
I think something was lost in translation in the article. She might have been telling Kiwis that a decent non-offer loaf of bread in the UK was £1, instead of about £3 in NZ.
It is hard to compare because she also says nice bread - which is just not available in the UK

Have to disagree with the nonsense about price fluctuation depending on the seasons - I think people need to change their attitudes and start eating seasonably, even in the UK.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 6:30 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing if she buys 25p bread then she's not going for quality...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.