living in nz

Old May 3rd 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

paul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant future
Default living in nz

we have been here for 14 weeks now i am on a 2 year work visa, im on $25 an hour but my wage is going up to $35 in 2 weeks, i am a builder here and i have been reading about people saying they couldent live on $50000 a year? i have managed on $800 a week since i have been here i have 2 kids and a wife it is a bit tight but its enough the way im seeing it is the life stye is worth the drop in wages!!! were at the top of the north in the bay of islands it can get a bit quiet here but when i sit back and look how happy the family is its worth it, nz is the best move i ever made and i feel vey lucky to be here
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: living in nz

Thats great Paul, glad you're enjoying it ... great to hear
Old May 3rd 2009, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul2
we have been here for 14 weeks now i am on a 2 year work visa, im on $25 an hour but my wage is going up to $35 in 2 weeks, i am a builder here and i have been reading about people saying they couldent live on $50000 a year? i have managed on $800 a week since i have been here i have 2 kids and a wife it is a bit tight but its enough the way im seeing it is the life stye is worth the drop in wages!!! were at the top of the north in the bay of islands it can get a bit quiet here but when i sit back and look how happy the family is its worth it, nz is the best move i ever made and i feel vey lucky to be here
Nice one Paul, good to hear a positive side We live on £21k a year here in the UK (low mortgage) just takes a bit of planning and I guess it depends what you're used to. Keep on enjoying your new life
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Thats great! Wonderful to hear good things about living costs in NZ!

Thanks
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes we are living on $63,000 a year and all is good, renting a lovely house and doing the things we want to do. This weekend we only spent $20 for a family of four, and still really had a good time, spent $11 Sunday mountain biking through the forest (free), going to the beach (free) eating yummy cheese rolls and cake from the bakers ($11) and than back for a BBQ of Kababs (from food budget). On saturday went fishing (free) and then over the neighbors with wine and beer ($19).

If you keep an eye on what you are spending, it can be done. I'm going to start selling things on Trademe soon, we bought over tons of stuff which are just clogging up the garage, so might as well get rid.

All is good so far
Old May 3rd 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul2
Great to hear all's well Paul..Bay of Islands...WHAT A PLACE TO LIVE!!!!!!!! I think I would be happy to live there AND be on to be totally, utterly on the bones of my arse..wonderful place aye?? Alas most of us live in more crowded places for many reasons. I have been one of those who have warned about $50k possibly not being enough for an 'average' family..BUT that caveat was in relation to the likes of Welly and Auck...you are right and with correct budgeting you can live on that type of money if you are away from the big centres. I imagine that accomodation to rent (if that's what you are doing) is cheaper on an annual basis than in the bigger places of NZ. Anyway I guess most of us would love to be up there..but then it would not be special anymore..good luck to you and your family!!
Old May 4th 2009, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

It's nice to hear you're happy so far in the Bay of Islands, sounds good...

BUT..... 14 weeks in NZ is not a very long time as far as judging ability to live on a given salary - especially when those 14 weeks were during NZ's best weather months! I don't know if you'll be needing heating over the winter up where you are, but if things are already a bit 'tight' as you mentioned and you haven't even been through a winter here yet...

Here in Chch, the real test comes from approx 15 June onwards (teebrown in Rolleston, take note!), when winter happens pretty much bang on. Just a few years back people here had their fires/heating going up until Christmas day it was that cold (15 June to 25 Dec = more than 6 months!) Plus one does have to get through an entire year of school expenses, WOF and registration, clothes and other necessities purchases, broken items/appliances that need replacing, dental or medical expenses, and so on and so on before one can really make a judgment about being able to live on a $xx salary. And too, as was mentioned, where you are in NZ can make a difference, as can whether or not you're renting.

By the time we'd lived here a year, we had a very different idea about what the cost of living was going to be than what we'd had in our first few months! Unfortunately, you can only sell everything you own on TradeMe once! But then what?? (Note: my things to sell on TradeMe fill my garage too! They're my last and final 'emergency fund', and so there they sit taking up all my space as having them gone would mean I'm well and truly broke! )

Last edited by Black Sheep; May 4th 2009 at 2:21 am.
Old May 4th 2009, 2:40 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by teebrown
Hi, yes we are living on $63,000 a year and all is good, renting a lovely house and doing the things we want to do. This weekend we only spent $20 for a family of four, and still really had a good time, spent $11 Sunday mountain biking through the forest (free), going to the beach (free) eating yummy cheese rolls and cake from the bakers ($11) and than back for a BBQ of Kababs (from food budget). On saturday went fishing (free) and then over the neighbors with wine and beer ($19).

If you keep an eye on what you are spending, it can be done. I'm going to start selling things on Trademe soon, we bought over tons of stuff which are just clogging up the garage, so might as well get rid.

All is good so far
Hi good day had by all we had 34 boxes that we never unpacked till after 3 years that tells you how much we was in need of it all!!!still like you I sold a lot only to buy new as my new home was to be an ex show home and it would not look good at all as we came from 1746 cottage in the uk. BY the way fishing is not free hope you had a licence as they could even take the car/ and rods if you was found fishing without one have a look at www.cantafly,com fishing club my other half loves it goes all the time many club trip, great network of fishing mates and much more hope this will help.
Lin
Old May 4th 2009, 3:29 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Paul, I'm in the bay of Islands too

Glad you're enjoying life.

As far as heating goes - yes you probably will need some wood for the logburner over winter, but you won't get a frost! Coldest may be around 7 degrees. Usually it's much warmer than that though 15 - 16 pretty regularly in our experience. We're 4 years down the line and have never ever had the log burner on for 6 months! 1 square m of wood does us all winter.
Biggest problem will be rain but you never know it could be a much better winter than last year.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:37 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Great to hear how well you and your family have settled in Paul and how happy you sound. Congratulations! Thank you for the update.
Old May 4th 2009, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
14 weeks in NZ is not a very long time as far as judging ability to live on a given salary - especially when those 14 weeks were during NZ's best weather months! I don't know if you'll be needing heating over the winter up where you are, but if things are already a bit 'tight' as you mentioned and you haven't even been through a winter here yet...

Here in Chch, the real test comes from approx 15 June onwards (teebrown in Rolleston, take note!), when winter happens pretty much bang on. Just a few years back people here had their fires/heating going up until Christmas day it was that cold (15 June to 25 Dec = more than 6 months!) Plus one does have to get through an entire year of school expenses, WOF and registration, clothes and other necessities purchases, broken items/appliances that need replacing, dental or medical expenses, and so on and so on before one can really make a judgment about being able to live on a $xx salary. And too, as was mentioned, where you are in NZ can make a difference, as can whether or not you're renting.
I agree.

Windforward a couple of years to when you havent been outside the Bay Of Islands and maybe fancy travelling a bit, but you now need a new car, and a new fridge and washing machine, oh and a new telly, and new glasses, and its about time you had that trip to the dentist etc etc etc.
Old May 4th 2009, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

paul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant futurepaul2 has a brilliant future

since we have been here we have had to pay for my wife to go to the dentist $123, just had the car wof cost me $250 but if you go carefull with the money i feal we can scrape by. it may not sound nice but things can only get better as far as im concerned i work hard and were happy!!! ive just got 2 trailor loads of fire wood for free from a guy at work that will keep us going for ages!! we are happy here more happy then back in the uk anyway!!!!! nz is the best even tho we havent been here long. we think back we use to struggle in the uk aswell so why not struggle that bit in a nicer place
Old May 4th 2009, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
Hi good day had by all we had 34 boxes that we never unpacked till after 3 years that tells you how much we was in need of it all!!!still like you I sold a lot only to buy new as my new home was to be an ex show home and it would not look good at all as we came from 1746 cottage in the uk. BY the way fishing is not free hope you had a licence as they could even take the car/ and rods if you was found fishing without one have a look at www.cantafly,com fishing club my other half loves it goes all the time many club trip, great network of fishing mates and much more hope this will help.
Lin
Hi thanks for the info, it's OK we weren't breaking the law, we were sea fishing which is free for all and the kids can fish in the lakes for free, but adults need a season lic, so hubby got a lic for that - I just supervise at that point, not that we have caught anything from the lakes yet! - but all good fun
Old May 4th 2009, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Black Sheep
It's nice to hear you're happy so far in the Bay of Islands, sounds good...

BUT..... 14 weeks in NZ is not a very long time as far as judging ability to live on a given salary - especially when those 14 weeks were during NZ's best weather months! I don't know if you'll be needing heating over the winter up where you are, but if things are already a bit 'tight' as you mentioned and you haven't even been through a winter here yet...

By the time we'd lived here a year, we had a very different idea about what the cost of living was going to be than what we'd had in our first few months! Unfortunately, you can only sell everything you own on TradeMe once! But then what?? (Note: my things to sell on TradeMe fill my garage too! They're my last and final 'emergency fund', and so there they sit taking up all my space as having them gone would mean I'm well and truly broke! )
Point taken, we will start to stuff some extra pennies under the mattress for the colder days and start pulling the belts in. I just wanted to point out that there are 'free' enjoyment days out there, hey and biking will keep you warm!
Old May 4th 2009, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really niceJay-Producer is just really nice

What I don't understand is a builder gets almost double my wage yet I work with people in need. Those with drug and alcohol additions and mental health. Without people like me the world would be a nastier place to live, yet charities struggle to pay good wages. Tight government.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.