Living in NZ

Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future
Default Living in NZ

i`ll be very grateful if few of you can copy and paste list below and put the ave cost of each, so we can get a clue on cost of things. i know this is a very much a esitmate and each house hold is different but its just a guide so we got a idea. if a few of you can do it then we can take the average
thanks

Monthly prices

Rent (i think bout $500-$700)
Electric
Gas
Water
Home phone
mobile phone
Broadband
House ins
Car ins
Council Tax
Childcare (per hr if easier)

feel free to add to list

thanks alot

Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:00 pm
The Wicked One

spid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud ofspid has much to be proud of
Default Re: Living in NZ

Originally Posted by markraynes View Post
i`ll be very grateful if few of you can copy and paste list below and put the ave cost of each, so we can get a clue on cost of things. i know this is a very much a esitmate and each house hold is different but its just a guide so we got a idea. if a few of you can do it then we can take the average
thanks
These are what we have budgeted for from what info we have been given beforeMonthly prices

Rent (i think bout $500-$700)what we've been looking at 3/4 bed Wellington way this is a WEEKLY rent!
Electric $150
Gas $150
Water ?
Home phone $50
mobile phone $30
Broadband $20+
House ins $45
Car ins $110 for 2
Council Tax rates $200
Childcare (per hr if easier) n/a for us but school fees about $50

life insurance $90
transport to and from work & school (petrol trains buses) max $400
food $1100 for 5
car WOF $8
registration $35
sky tv $50
pension $400

total - $2900 before rent or mortgage

hope this helps!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

in_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nice

Hi,

Have a look through this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509547

There is even a spreadsheet attached which should help

Good luck!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:35 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Rent (i think bout $500-$700)
Rents are calculated weekly, but usually paid fortnightly. Rents vary according to location. NZD$250/week wouldn't get you much in the way of suitable family accommodation in Auckland or Wellington, but in Wanganui or Palmerston North you may find something acceptable for the same outlay.

All priced in New Zealand dollars

Electric - $100-400/month (varies on season and how careful you are) Power is stonkin' expensive.

Gas - $2.83 a litre last time I filled up our LPG tank.

Water - In Christchurch it is included in the council rates and as a renter I am not directly charged for this.

Home phone - $38.38 for basic service.

mobile phone - pre-pay is scandalously expensive. $1.50/minute, I dunno, I haven't used my mobile in many many months. I friggin' hate the things.

Broadband - plans usually start at $30/month, but shop around.

House ins. - Sorry, I don't know.

Car ins. - I don't have a car so I don't know.

Council Tax - I rent so I don't know.

Childcare (per hr if easier) - OSCAR (before school and after school programme) cost us $24/day. That was for my daughter when she was at primary school. Full time costs for a nursery or child minder I don't know.

thanks a lot

Man, you want to know everything, don't you?
The truth is that all of this information won't mean diddley-squat unless you are living and working here. I think you should be concentrating your energies on job searching and immigration matters. All this other stuff you are asking about you would find out very quickly once here. Crunch all the numbers you want, do a million currency conversions and price comparisons with the UK and it is still just mental masturbation and vicarious living until you get out here. Don't put the cart before the horse. Planning is all well and good, but a game plan doesn't mean shit unless you go out and play the game. (edit: Of course, if you are using these costings with a view to negotiate a salary with a prospective employer, well then, I will shut my opinionated gob and mind my own business.)

Good luck, seriously. I hope you are successful in coming out here and making a go of it.

Last edited by happynz; Feb 27th 2008 at 8:39 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by happynz View Post
Rents are calculated weekly, but usually paid fortnightly. Rents vary according to location. NZD$250/week wouldn't get you much in the way of suitable family accommodation in Auckland or Wellington, but in Wanganui or Palmerston North you may find something acceptable for the same outlay.

All priced in New Zealand dollars

Electric - $100-400/month (varies on season and how careful you are) Power is stonkin' expensive.

Gas - $2.83 a litre last time I filled up our LPG tank.

Water - In Christchurch it is included in the council rates and as a renter I am not directly charged for this.

Home phone - $38.38 for basic service.

mobile phone - pre-pay is scandalously expensive. $1.50/minute, I dunno, I haven't used my mobile in many many months. I friggin' hate the things.

Broadband - plans usually start at $30/month, but shop around.

House ins. - Sorry, I don't know.

Car ins. - I don't have a car so I don't know.

Council Tax - I rent so I don't know.

Childcare (per hr if easier) - OSCAR (before school and after school programme) cost us $24/day. That was for my daughter when she was at primary school. Full time costs for a nursery or child minder I don't know.

Man, you want to know everything, don't you?
The truth is that all of this information won't mean diddley-squat unless you are living and working here. I think you should be concentrating your energies on job searching and immigration matters. All this other stuff you are asking about you would find out very quickly once here. Crunch all the numbers you want, do a million currency conversions and price comparisons with the UK and it is still just mental masturbation and vicarious living until you get out here. Don't put the cart before the horse. Planning is all well and good, but a game plan doesn't mean shit unless you go out and play the game. (edit: Of course, if you are using these costings with a view to negotiate a salary with a prospective employer, well then, I will shut my opinionated gob and mind my own business.)

Good luck, seriously. I hope you are successful in coming out here and making a go of it.

yep just as he said,

my oh has just been out there on a recce and i was asking him to tell me areas to research on the net and house prices all the usual etc and he said its pointless as its best to do all that stuff once we are there permanent.
so now i am just busying my self trying to get to grips with all the immi stuff we need to get together, thats the hard part without that all the other research means diddly squat.

good luck