Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Living in New Zealand

Living in New Zealand

Old Mar 12th 2006, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Jiggyjake is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Living in New Zealand

I am currently looking at the possibility of taking up a job in the Christchurch area. My salary would be $39000 per year plus free housing or at least no rent or mortgage. Is this enough for a family of five?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

traineekiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Jiggyjake
I am currently looking at the possibility of taking up a job in the Christchurch area. My salary would be $39000 per year plus free housing or at least no rent or mortgage. Is this enough for a family of five?
Its always difficult to say as it all depends on your standard of living expectations, your personal circumstances,no of cars required, rent / mortgage etc. I must say that I would struggle as a single person on £39K (I would suggest that 39K would be around $25K take home) in Christchurch so for a family of 5 (assuming wife and 3 dependent kids) I'd be more likely to say that it wouldn't be anywhere near enough. If your partner was able to work full time as well, between the two of you, you would most likely have enough to live on.

John
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

i would say no way unless your oh is gonna work - we work to a budget of $4000 take home per month for a family of 4, with a mortgage of $1100 per month - so you would need to be looking at take home of $3000 with no mortgage / rent, remember tax rates are higher - 19.5% up to $38000 then 33%
good luck
vicki
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:22 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jiggyjake
What job are you coming to Jiggyjake?

You say you have family how many children and what ages, sorry not being nosy, it would just help folk to work out whether you would be ok on that money. Are you used to a tight budget anyways because that wage isn't the best saying that we are living on less but I'm not really enjoying it lol.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

You wouldn't survive on 39k with a family of 5 with or without a mortgage.
You need to be looking at about maybe 60k+ and then if your wife works well that would be a bonus.
Without a mortgage you still have to look at Rates, ARC Rates, Insurance for House and Car/cars, Electricity, Phone/broadband, Childrens Schooling, Childrens after School Activities, Food, Petrol/Diesel, Medical Insurance, Dental/Doctors.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Jiggyjake is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annaerb
You need to be looking at about maybe 60k+ and then if your wife works well that would be a bonus.
Without a mortgage you still have to look at Rates, ARC Rates, Insurance for House and Car/cars, Electricity, Phone/broadband, Childrens Schooling, Childrens after School Activities, Food, Petrol/Diesel, Medical Insurance, Dental/Doctors.
Thank you for the reply
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:51 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annaerb
If the house is provided free as part of your employment package then the rates and insurance are most likely already covered. Worth checking out.

If the children are school age then they should come under govt school dental care plan. Medical expenses (as far as I recall) are dependent upon income (ie lower income you pay less).

Finally if you take the value of the accomodation provided (say $1200 a month) into consideration that would give you an income of around $53,400 per annum. If your OH gets a p/t or f/t job, then in theory you should do okay and still get by even if they don't (albeit a bit tighter).

If you can squeeze a company car that would also be helpful as they would pay for servicing and maintenance and maybe some fuel costs also.

Not that long ago I read on these forums of prison officers earning around the $40,000 mark per annum. It's certainly not impossible but may require some creative budgeting. Also there should be family benefit payments made to you for the children, though I'm not sure if you ahve to meet a residential requirement period before you become eligible.