British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Living in Nelson (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/living-nelson-913433/)

Jamie13 May 31st 2018 12:02 pm

Living in Nelson

Hi

A few months ago I visited an expo with my wife and after speaking to the people there I decided to start applying for jobs.

My current situation is that i live in Glasgow and my life is pretty secure no money worries and there is talk of being promoted in my own work.

I recently got a call back from Higgins regarding a job in Nelson. I have done some research and it looks a bit on the expensive side although it does look like I can rent 1 bedroom and ensuite for under $300 per week with bills included to help cut the costs. My wife would be staying in the UK while we decide what we want to do long term.

The job would pay $70k which is about £6k more than what I earn now. I have tried to do as much research on costs as I can and I would be able to afford to keep my house in the UK and keep myself ok in Nelson.

I was just looking for more information with regards to living there. Im not to worried about lifestyle as I know I will have to work but the appeal is in being able to enjoy my free time more and seeing a new place.

Is the grass really greener in New Zealand. I have read reviews about it not being a nice place to live and people not being friendly and cost of living being high. I have also read reviews that say the complete opposite.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks

MrsFychan May 31st 2018 7:51 pm

Re: Living in Nelson

Originally Posted by Jamie13 (Post 12508396)
Is the grass really greener in New Zealand. I have read reviews about it not being a nice place to live and people not being friendly and cost of living being high. I have also read reviews that say the complete opposite.

You know the saying your know the answer. and you have read both sides. So it depends on what you come from to what you go to. What you are prepared to compromise on.
Coming over on your own and getting a feel is a good idea and if you can afford to do that, can up lift a visa that would then allow family to come over - please do not be fooled by a job offer being the shoe in for a visa or that that visa would allow other family members to come on the back of it. Doing you research, I am sure you would of noticed that the criteria for visas is forever changing and a visa conditions, even at the beginning of the year, may of led to a visa then it may not now.
Everyone experience will be different. some thrive, some crash an burn. It would be the same anywhere just NZ is that much further away from family and friends, and that much more expensive to move to.

dfjordan May 31st 2018 9:21 pm

In what way do you think you could enjoy your free time better in Nelson, than in Scotland ? You said you would like to see new places, but NZ is all much of a muchness. There are far more varied places to see without moving all the way to NZ. All of Europe is on your doorstep ! I have family that live in Nelson, and whilst I think it is a pretty and peaceful place ( too peaceful for me !) it doesnt take long to see what South Island has to offer, and then that’s it!
I agree that it would be a very good idea to go out alone and get a feel for the place, as moving completely, assuming you could get a visa, is expensive , particularly if you subsequently decide its not for you.

Jamie13 May 31st 2018 10:46 pm

I heard visas are expensive. The employer is accredited though so from what I have seen online I could get a talent visa and it looks like its costs just shy of $400.

Overall I think it looks a good chance to go and visit somewhere and work at the same time. The main thing that concerns me is living in Nelson although I would be looking to stay in Richmond if thats any different. I have heard its nice but I think that was more to do with the guy at the expo wanting to get people signed up to move there and charging a fee for their services.

Justcol Jun 1st 2018 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Jamie13 (Post 12508764)
I think that was more to do with the guy at the expo wanting to get people signed up to move there and charging a fee for their services.

BINGO !!

Nelson is nice,
$70k is ok for 1 person but will never support a family.
I'm one of the few (it seems) on here who actually loves living here.
I read a comment a few days ago that some feel trapped here but cannot return to the uk where they would be happy, so think carefully

Jamie13 Jun 1st 2018 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12508900)
BINGO !!

Nelson is nice,
$70k is ok for 1 person but will never support a family.
I'm one of the few (it seems) on here who actually loves living here.
I read a comment a few days ago that some feel trapped here but cannot return to the uk where they would be happy, so think carefully

I would need the 70k to support myself and eventually my wife if we decided to stay. My wife works as an admin assistant in the hospital and she said that jobs for her looked pretty limited. All in all I think I would be ok my work offers sabatical leave and will hold my job for up to two years. If I didnt like it then my house and wife would still be here unless she has other ideas. As previously mentioned the big draw is to live and work somewhere else. Is the weather in Nelson any better than Scotland or is it just slightly sunnier and less wet.

jmh Jun 11th 2018 1:24 am

Weather in Nelson is WAY better than Scotland. I know several people who have lived in Nelson and have loved it. Moved away regretfully for family reasons. I am considering moving to Nelson myself. You'll get a higher salary if you move to a city like Auckland - you may prefer a more relaxed life with a lower salary, in which case you can't do better than Nelson imo. It's a popular holiday spot, so there should be at least seasonal work for your wife, although admin is certainly possible. Try the experience - if you don't like it you can move elsewhere or go home.