Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Living in Lower Hutt

Living in Lower Hutt

Old May 7th 2009, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Lower Hutt

We visited Waterloo school last year when we went on our reccie. It has a very good reputation, which is reflected in the house prices in its zone (look at www.schoolzones.co.nz to get a map). Its reputation is built around the headmaster and he was great when we visited, he took time to talk to my kids and reassure them as well as giving us a tour of the school.

As I said before Hutt Valley high school has a much more mixed reputation from what I can gather. It received very bad press a couple of years ago due to bullying/bad behaviour and the way the school dealt with it (do a search on google). My relatives also said some of the classes are very large in the lower years. Her kids don't go there though so it may be worth trying to get info from someone with better connections to it. I don't know anything about Hutt Middle school where kids go from age 11 - 13.

I've only visited Waterloo itself briefly - it's flat (!) with a station/train line running through it. It's got a few local shops and is near the large shopping centre.

As for estate agents- don't get me started - we've been on the market here in the UK for over a year now and have 'sold' the house 5 times only for each time to fall through. We're still plodding on though and trying to get to NZ before my visa runs out in Oct!

Good luck with your move.
Old May 7th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daza
Thanks for that,yes we will be renting hopefully in the Waterloo area.

Can anyone give me any feedback on Waterloo.
Its near the railway line! Certainly convenient for the train.

I'd say the western side of the tracks is generally more highly regarded than the eastern side (which is Waterloo proper).

Its all pretty built-up.
All the shops of any description are on the western side of the tracks.

There are some nice places around, but quite often your bog-standard rental property is quite likely to be "a bit crap" Id say, and Ive seen some of them. I guess it depends on what you pay.
Old May 7th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I live on the Eastern hills of Lower Hutt and there are some million dollar houses up here. I have views of the harbour, views of the hills, close to the funky shops in Petone (and lovely cinema there), close to the Queensgate mall, access to EXCELLENT public transport (trains and buses). Although I don't have school age children, I have been told that the local primary school is excellent here.

The only negative thing at the moment is the roadworks on SH2 but this will improve the traffic flow in the future and probably even add value to properties as it really doesn't take long to get into Wellington CBD. Even the current morning 'rush hour' only takes me 20 mins door to door.

There are some really lovely parts (and some not so nice parts) just like any city/suburb so don't listen to the snobs who turn their noses up at the Hutt.

Last edited by cappuccino; May 7th 2009 at 11:06 am.
Old May 7th 2009, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

daza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MOSO
We visited Waterloo school last year when we went on our reccie. It has a very good reputation, which is reflected in the house prices in its zone (look at www.schoolzones.co.nz to get a map). Its reputation is built around the headmaster and he was great when we visited, he took time to talk to my kids and reassure them as well as giving us a tour of the school.

As I said before Hutt Valley high school has a much more mixed reputation from what I can gather. It received very bad press a couple of years ago due to bullying/bad behaviour and the way the school dealt with it (do a search on google). My relatives also said some of the classes are very large in the lower years. Her kids don't go there though so it may be worth trying to get info from someone with better connections to it. I don't know anything about Hutt Middle school where kids go from age 11 - 13.

I've only visited Waterloo itself briefly - it's flat (!) with a station/train line running through it. It's got a few local shops and is near the large shopping centre.

As for estate agents- don't get me started - we've been on the market here in the UK for over a year now and have 'sold' the house 5 times only for each time to fall through. We're still plodding on though and trying to get to NZ before my visa runs out in Oct!

Good luck with your move.
This is why we have to rent our house over here due to the state of the property market.

Are you also looking to go to waterloo?
Old May 7th 2009, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I live on the Eastern hills of Lower Hutt and there are some million dollar houses up here. I have views of the harbour, views of the hills, close to the funky shops in Petone (and lovely cinema there), close to the Queensgate mall, access to EXCELLENT public transport (trains and buses). Although I don't have school age children, I have been told that the local primary school is excellent here.

The only negative thing at the moment is the roadworks on SH2 but this will improve the traffic flow in the future and probably even add value to properties as it really doesn't take long to get into Wellington CBD. Even the current morning 'rush hour' only takes me 20 mins door to door.

There are some really lovely parts (and some not so nice parts) just like any city/suburb so don't listen to the snobs who turn their noses up at the Hutt.
Sounds like a great place to live,cant wait to get there
Old Jun 21st 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I will be relocating to the lower Hutt area in eight weeks and am looking for a house to rent in the area.
The house needs to be 3+ bedrooms and situated around the Hutt hospital.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

kiwinyc is an unknown quantity at this point

In Lower Hutt you have the choice of living on the flat, or up in one of the hill suburbs overlooking the Hutt Valley and Wellington Harbour.

The advantage of being on the flat is that you will probably be closer to most amenities, and away from Wellington imfamous wind. But houses are closer together and your garden will most likely be overlooked.

Up in western hills - Koro Koro/Maungaraki/Normandale etc (I lived in the Maungaraki for a while) most houses are built to have fantastic views and privacy, but often lack a great deal of flat lawn or garden, outdoor space is probably sloping or on a deck of some sort, and you will have limited parking. And your house may not have a lot of direct sunlight depending which way its facing. Depending on where you are its only a 15-20 min drive down into Lower Hutt though or 30mins into Wellington - EXCEPT at rush hour!

If your wife is working in Lower Hutt Hospital, Avalon is a nearby and v. nice. Waterloo and Woburn are similiar in feel (quite family oriented) Petone is up and coming, with a funky and interesting restaurant/cafe scene.

Lower Hutts newest shopping mall is the Westfield and its not bad - has a cinema, food court, woolworths supermarket (A New World supermarket is right next door) and a good selection of cafes, shops and restaurants.

I think of Lower Hutt as a large, slightly less hectic suburb of Wellington, but not a poor cousin by any means its got plenty of its own attractions as well as all the things to do in Wellington City.
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinyc
Up in western hills - Koro Koro/Maungaraki/Normandale etc

oops, yeh, I live in the Western hills (never was any good at directions )
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your feedback

If anyone knows of a house that is being rented out please contact me.