Living Expenses NZ

Living Expenses NZ

Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Living Expenses NZ

Originally Posted by sky
We could have lived like kings on 80k in the UK Kaz Hen :scared:
Yes 80K is good money, I can only assume you have large mortage and loans....have you looked at changing your energy cost to cheaper supplier, if you look on the web www.upmystreet.co.uk or on yahoo, can look to see what you could be paying with a cheaper supplier. when I was in uk, managed to save hundreds of pounds a year by checking gas, elec, phone etc every year...also life insurances etc etc....but also know it doesnt matter what you earn...always manage to spend more than you have...and in the UK there is much more of a must have culture...cars...clothes...gadgets than here in Nz...but can be done...feel free to ask for tips..plenty of people on this forum with UK budgeting advice
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of living in NZ v salary is expensive IMO.
I never paid as much out for gas and electric as I do here.
My shopping bill here is higher that I paid in the Uk.
There are no real cheap alternatives here to shop at except for the veggie shops and Mad butchers, but false econonmy if the meat and veg isn't up to the same standard as the supermarket and it ends up in the bin.
Salary is dire here.
Every week a bill arrives as everything is monthly, so no way to get in front or on your feet. As each week passes, we go further in debt, just surviving the bills, nothing else.
Its no wonder many have two jobs each just to get by.
Lifestyle.......?? Where?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:46 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Hi Kev,
I hope you didn't buy the house in Paraparaumu that I posted on the net of couple of months back, it suddenly dissapeared from sale before I got to it.
Oh well all's fair in house buying I guess.
Have you been for a picnic and battle hill reserve yet, my favourite picnic spot, lovely and peaceful and stream for the kids to build damns etc.
When we first arrived in UK we thought we would go for a picnic in Derbyshire couldn't believe the hoards of people and hot dog vans.
Enjoy life up there, we have family in Paraparaumu and Paekok and always loved visiting for the day.
Cheers
KAZ
I have been past Battle Hill farm many times, but never been in, I will take the kids there .
Yes we are lucky to have large equity due to having lived in SE England for a long time before we came here.
Why did you go back to UK, was it work!!!!!!!!

Cheers Kev.

PS I hpoe I am not living in the house you wanted, but we have been in it over a year now!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 10:52 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rascal
Cost of living in NZ v salary is expensive IMO.
I never paid as much out for gas and electric as I do here.
My shopping bill here is higher that I paid in the Uk.
There are no real cheap alternatives here to shop at except for the veggie shops and Mad butchers, but false econonmy if the meat and veg isn't up to the same standard as the supermarket and it ends up in the bin.
Salary is dire here.
Every week a bill arrives as everything is monthly, so no way to get in front or on your feet. As each week passes, we go further in debt, just surviving the bills, nothing else.
Its no wonder many have two jobs each just to get by.
Lifestyle.......?? Where?
I pay my staff between $13 and $15 per hour, now thats well above what they are used to or would get else where, but I want to keep them. However we as a family and used to UK money could not suvive on $15 per hour. That is why we work for ourselves and we have found NZ a great place to do business and I would recommend this option to anyone, if they get the chance and it gives a better lifestyle here and I only work 30- 35 hours per week.

Cheers Kev
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by St George Six
I pay my staff between $13 and $15 per hour, now thats well above what they are used to or would get else where, but I want to keep them. However we as a family and used to UK money could not suvive on $15 per hour. That is why we work for ourselves and we have found NZ a great place to do business and I would recommend this option to anyone, if they get the chance and it gives a better lifestyle here and I only work 30- 35 hours per week.

Cheers Kev
I think that the UK is alot cheaper than you recall it to be...we have never had so many financial problems since comming here, all of our bills, are far far higher in comparison to earnings.

I had some wood delivered and the man off loading it was doing this part time, had a job in the city as well...4 children, wife had a full time job also...they didnt have an extravagant lifestyle...just found life very expensive....he had come from the UK 10 or more years previous but loved the lifestyle ??? and kids in school so wouldnt move at this time anyway.

Yes having your own business always means you can call the shots, and work hours to suit...and certainly that is the case which ever country you live in, only here I feel you would need to earn twice as much out of it to be in the same position....

but glad to hear a story of a positive note and enjoying it...how long have you been here,
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

My wife and I know that we will be living things a little differently when we get there. We are not likely to starve. Here in Canada I have an above average salary, live in a city with low real estate values and need only run one car. I need to change my job anyway and the next one is not likely to be quite as good and we will have a larger mortgage when we move. So, why not move to New Zealand. We just have to save a bit each month over a number of years and we can then try Brisbane or the UK, or come back to Canada. It is easy to say we can live on less. I hope we can do it, we are of a mind to do it and hope we can. We want to live life for the overall experience, but do want to have a few dollars too, though I don't feel I need lots. Hope we will be happy.

Michael
Old Oct 20th 2005, 10:45 pm
turkeytickler

I agree that NZ is extreemly expensive to live in.

If you take the GBP/NZD exchange rate to be approx 1/2.5 at the moment then look at the price of goods the facts speak for themselves.

Im a cyclist and things like tyres for my bike that cost £20 in the UK cost $82 here (the same model).

This is coupled by the fact that the salaries are disproportionately low - for my line of work in the UK i would earn around £35,000-£40,000 (in Norwich). In NZ i would be looking at around $70,000-$80,000 for the same job and since im in Christchurch the openings are few and far between.

Luckily I kepy my job homeworking when i moved here so I am earning £s - I think if it were not for that I would have returned home by now.

$6 for a "pint" of weak beer - sheesh!!