Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Living Expenses NZ

Living Expenses NZ

Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:15 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice
Default Living Expenses NZ

Right there seems to be lots on here about how expensive it is to live in NZ and how it compares to UK, we have been here two years now, so have a good idea to the average spend;

This is us family of six;

Monthly spend:

Mortgage $1,700 ( house approx $650,000)
Rates $180.00
Cars $700
service/Tax $200
Fuel $500
Food $1500
Gas $100
Elec $200
Insurances $300
Telephone/Sky $120
Kids Activities $200
Clothes $500
Holidays $500
Meals out/spending $1200

Total $7,900

Now this means you need to bring in about about $120,000 a year for a family our size living in a main city. We are not over the top, but have a good lifestyle and standard of living. But if you put this back into sterling it would mean earning about 47,000 pounds a year. I know for a fact we could not live like we do here in UK for 47,000 a year, not in the South East anyway.

If your are worried about low wages, start your own business or work for yourself, NZ is a great place to be self employed and you can earn well and answer to nobody.

I hope this is of help to people looking at coming over, and we are not saying that you can't live for less, and yes we are a big family.

Cheers and all the best Kev.
Old Oct 18th 2005, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living Expenses NZ

Thanks for the positive feedback. We are looking to relocate to NZ hopefully by early Jan. How far is param beach from Welly, is it a nice area.
Boopy

Originally Posted by St George Six
Right there seems to be lots on here about how expensive it is to live in NZ and how it compares to UK, we have been here two years now, so have a good idea to the average spend;

Monthly spend:

Rates $180.00
Cars $700
service/Tax $200
Fuel $500
Food $1500
Gas $100
Elec $200
Insurances $300
Telephone/Sky $120
Kids Activities $200
Clothes $500
Holidays $500
Meals out/spending $1200

Total $7,900

Now this means you need to bring in about about $120,000 a year for a family our size living in a main city. We are not over the top, but have a good lifestyle and standard of living. But if you put this back into sterling it would mean earning about 47,000 pounds a year. I know for a fact we could not live like we do here in UK for 47,000 a year, not in the South East anyway.

If your are worried about low wages, start your own business or work for yourself, NZ is a great place to be self employed and you can earn well and answer to nobody.

I hope this is of help to people looking at coming over, and we are not saying that you can't live for less, and yes we are a big family.

Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:25 pm
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boopy
Thanks for the positive feedback. We are looking to relocate to NZ hopefully by early Jan. How far is param beach from Welly, is it a nice area.
Boopy
Hi we are approx 45mins from Wellington CBD, it is a fantastic place to live, great beaches, good weather (better than Wellington and alot less windy), good Colleges and Schools. Good for water sports, fishing, Mountain biking etc.
Beutiful views. Houses ranging from beach front to lifestyle blocks with several acres. All this within easy reach of the beautiful Capital, and Wellington on a good day is by far the best city in NZ!!!!!
Also we are only three hour drive from Ski fields and Taupo, and from Wellington 3 hour flight to Sydney or Bris.

Yes it is good to live in Wellington.

Cheers Kev
Old Oct 18th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Hi we are approx 45mins from Wellington CBD, it is a fantastic place to live, great beaches, good weather (better than Wellington and alot less windy), good Colleges and Schools. Good for water sports, fishing, Mountain biking etc.
Beutiful views. Houses ranging from beach front to lifestyle blocks with several acres. All this within easy reach of the beautiful Capital, and Wellington on a good day is by far the best city in NZ!!!!!
Also we are only three hour drive from Ski fields and Taupo, and from Wellington 3 hour flight to Sydney or Bris.

Cheers Kev
Kev, what town are you in? Is that 45minutes in traffic?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 12:47 am
Life's a beach

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
Kev, what town are you in? Is that 45minutes in traffic?
On a Sunday with no traffic, i can do it in 40 mins or less. I travel into Wellington every day for work at various times, and it will normally take about 50 mins, however in heavy traffic at peak hours it can take 1 hour. On the plus side it is a beutiful coastal drive into work and rolling hills etc, so it really dosn't seem that bad and on a sunny day it is a graet way to unwind on the way home. Tonight I will leave work at 4.45pm and I will be home by about 5.35 pm amd by about 6.30pm will be drag netting for sole with my sun and by 7.30 pm cooking fresh fish on the barbie with a glass of white wine in the good weather we are having atthe moment. Its a hard life!!!!!!!!!!!
By the way we live at Paraparaumu Beach ,5 Km's from Paraparaumu Township on the Kapiti Coast. Raumati South, Raumati Beach and Waikanae are all good beach areas and you still have the city life as well, best of both worlds.

Cheers Kev
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Kev
Hi Kev,
I hope you didn't buy the house in Paraparaumu that I posted on the net of couple of months back, it suddenly dissapeared from sale before I got to it.
Oh well all's fair in house buying I guess.
Have you been for a picnic and battle hill reserve yet, my favourite picnic spot, lovely and peaceful and stream for the kids to build damns etc.
When we first arrived in UK we thought we would go for a picnic in Derbyshire couldn't believe the hoards of people and hot dog vans.
Enjoy life up there, we have family in Paraparaumu and Paekok and always loved visiting for the day.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Monthly spend:

Rates $180.00
Cars $700
service/Tax $200
Fuel $500
Food $1500
Gas $100
Elec $200
Insurances $300
Telephone/Sky $120
Kids Activities $200
Clothes $500
Holidays $500
Meals out/spending $1200

Total $7,900

We earned similar in NZ and had a great standard of living (fam of 5) in the UK hubby earns double of what the NZ salary equated to and I certainly do not feel rich living here. So for us I think the cost of living in the UK is far more expensive than NZ
KAZ
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Monthly spend:

Rates $180.00
Cars $700
service/Tax $200
Fuel $500
Food $1500
Gas $100
Elec $200
Insurances $300
Telephone/Sky $120
Kids Activities $200
Clothes $500
Holidays $500
Meals out/spending $1200

Total $7,900

Great post - someone who isnt afraid to admit to wanting or having a good standard of living. I normally get shot down if i mention $80k not being enough in a major city.

Do you run your own business? I've heard that you can find ways to not pay much tax?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:37 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
We earned similar in NZ and had a great standard of living (fam of 5) in the UK hubby earns double of what the NZ salary equated to and I certainly do not feel rich living here. So for us I think the cost of living in the UK is far more expensive than NZ
KAZ
Kaz,

Please don't tell me you don't feel rich on c. £100k somewhere near Nottingham???? I would have thought that would be a fantastic salary? Carmen.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Kaz,

Please don't tell me you don't feel rich on c. £100k somewhere near Nottingham???? I would have thought that would be a fantastic salary? Carmen.
Carmen,
More like about £80k but honestly we never seem to have any money. I am beginning to wonder if the hubby has an internet gambling problem or drug habbit or something. We definatly had more cash to spend in NZ than UK.
KAZ
Old Oct 19th 2005, 1:44 pm
Nice Tats

Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Monthly spend:

Rates $180.00
Cars $700
service/Tax $200
Fuel $500
Food $1500
Gas $100
Elec $200
Insurances $300
Telephone/Sky $120
Kids Activities $200
Clothes $500
Holidays $500
Meals out/spending $1200

Total $7,900

Great Post thanks
Old Oct 19th 2005, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Panda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant futurePanda_Pops has a brilliant future

Hi,

Good post and nice to hear as Kapiti is where we want to end up.

I must say though that if you're only repaying $1700pm on a $650k house, you must have a lot of equity in it!

PP
x
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:27 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I am beginning to wonder if the hubby has an internet gambling problem or drug habbit or something....KAZ
lol! i think it's just normal to spend what you have isn't it? sometimes i just think we're bloody poor though!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Panda_Pops
Hi,

Good post and nice to hear as Kapiti is where we want to end up.

I must say though that if you're only repaying $1700pm on a $650k house, you must have a lot of equity in it!

PP
x
You could still probably have a c. $300k mortgage interest only even on NZ's comparatively high rates for that amount though which still sounds quite high to me!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:21 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Carmen,
More like about £80k but honestly we never seem to have any money. I am beginning to wonder if the hubby has an internet gambling problem or drug habbit or something. We definatly had more cash to spend in NZ than UK.
KAZ
We could have lived like kings on 80k in the UK Kaz Hen :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.