Living the Dream

Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:29 am
Just Joined

banjax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living the Dream

Originally Posted by irish_eyes
For lots and lots and lots of reasons, but mostly I moved from Ireland to NZ for a better quality of life my boys!!
What was wrong with the quality of life in Ireland?
Old Aug 4th 2009, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Are you any closer to making a decision yet?
Still doing research, after reading some of the posts in the forum im not sure. The jobs, housing and driving on the roads seem no invitation and one of the few opportunities that I can see is the possibility to build your own home.

I wonder how much better than Ireland can NZ really be?

After following threads on the forum for some time, am concerned that I may have misjudged the place and now have more questions than answers?

Will know more after the 4 weeks in November.
Old Aug 4th 2009, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

Pinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nicePinkkat75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
I'm prepared to fight
Oh, okay, I'll have Danny Craig instead, with Nathan Fillion for variety on the weekends

They both moved to Invercargill recently, right?

Yummy!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by banjax
What was wrong with the quality of life in Ireland?
Well I suppose there is nothing wrong with the quality of life in Ireland really as there is 4.4 million there! But I guess its a personal choice of where you want to be. Had I married an irish man i would still be there I suppose but I married a kiwi so it was always an option to come here. Its the small things really for me. I hated the "keeping up with the jones" in Ireland. Here it doesnt matter what car you drive or what kind of house you have. The weather in Ireland was crap and it was always a case of - weather permitting if we would do something with the kids. There is no better place than Ireland for the warm welcome and social scene but there is a large slice of irish in me and I've taken my warm welcome with me. It truly is the best place on earth for children and you just cannot read about things like that - it has to be experienced in my opinion.

Its a major call to make moving here so your doing the right thing by reseaching. I think you know in your gut if its for you or not. I think some of us were born to do things like this and some of us were just not. None of my irish friends would have done what I've done. But that them and thats that. I know they all secretly would love to have the guts to but because of some of the things you say, they just wont! To even consider a move here, there must be something lacking in your current life. At the end of the day, we all just want to live the best life possible and in my opinion - New Zealand can offer us that and way more.

I understand what your going through - its never easy making a life changing decision. But you will make the right choice when the time is right. The very best of luck to you.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by banjax
Still doing research, after reading some of the posts in the forum im not sure. The jobs, housing and driving on the roads seem no invitation and one of the few opportunities that I can see is the possibility to build your own home.

I wonder how much better than Ireland can NZ really be?

After following threads on the forum for some time, am concerned that I may have misjudged the place and now have more questions than answers?

Will know more after the 4 weeks in November.
I dont find the roads a problem at all. If i spent my time worry about the roads i'd be a nervous wreck and that would go for any country that i was to live in. The job situation is the same the world over. You cant control these kind of things. This site is designed to show you both sides of things and its vital that you read both sides of the story. Then you can form your own opinion. I think you should try and get a holiday out here and then you really can get a proper feel of the place. Is that what you mean about knowing more after the 4 weeks in november?? Life is what you make of it and we all know its too short to have regrets. I do remember a time when I questioned all that you have - its perfectly normal, trust me.

New Zealand isnt better than Ireland, its just different and thats what makes it better!!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

xxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nicexxElainexx is just really nice

I have inlaws that have been to visit NZ they adored it and have said should we get to go there they will follow. They advised us to do research into NZ and l have to date like so many many others on here have dones hours upon hours of it...then l found this forum....seriously these people are STARS...they have lived through the research and have had the little issues, that incidentally they get sorted with the help and friendship of this forum..
l have now decided along with hubby that we DO want to make the leap into a new life. We are waiting on assessment, then if that goes to plan we are visiting in March/April next year for a minimum of 6 weeks to see what it's like, to try and get an ambience of it....this we are both looking forward to very much the assessment allows us to do this...good luck with your decision making...also just a quick note..l too felt yes l wanted to go no l don't want to after reading some of the stories on here but like it's already been said, you can form an opinion as well as doing research, there are negative forums, they're good to read as they offer up that although beautiful as it looks etc it too has it's problems..to be honest can't think of a country that doesn't...again good luck......
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to be very honest about this. We didn't do very much research, infact hardly any . OH lived in Chch as a teenager for 4 years (his stupid parents didn't go for citizenship though , they lived in Oz for 5 years & didn't apply for citizenship there either. Thick or what! Can you tell I don't like them!!!). It just seemed like a good idea at the time!

Anyways, we came out here just over 4 years ago, OH loved it & I hated everything about NZ (well apart from the beaches, Rotorua & Sav blanc - not necessarily in that order ) After 11 weeks (for me) we returned to the UK. Twenty months later, we ping-ponged back, it took me 8 months to feel fully settled & now I can't imagine living back in the UK.

The main difference between the two attempts for us was keeping a sense of adventure. We lost that the first time around . So my advice, certainly do all the research you can but keeping a sense of adventure will help you through the tough times. Good luck.
Old Aug 5th 2009, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

Well we have been here for over 7 years now.

Couldnt think of going back to the Uk.. every time we have been back its felt less and less like home.. such that i feel releaved to touch down at Chch airport.

There are opportunities here.. there is the chance to make your dreams come true. but no one is going to hand it to you..
but unlike the Uk.. due to lack of population pressure i feel that dreams are attainable here.

just as long as you realise this is a country with people in it.. not heaven on earth populated by divine beings ( despite what the locals think when they go off shore) and by all that i mean.. humanity has its good and bad points.. and you get the same selection of idiots and freaks over here.. just not as manay of them.

and with a country the size of the UK and only a pop of 4 million.. your having a bad day if you meet said idiots and freaks!!

dont go through life saying "what if".. as far as i am aware.. this is it.. no dress rehersal.. so go for it.. and squeeze everything out of every day!
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

It truly is the best place on earth for children
Why or what makes NZ the best place for kids?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 11:39 pm
Just Joined

Is that what you mean about knowing more after the 4 weeks in november??

New Zealand isnt better than Ireland, its just different and thats what makes it better!!
Yes we will be landing in Auckland in mid November and touring most of the NI for 4 weeks. Undecided about flying down to see Chch specifically as I read it suffers from smog. The SI looks great for a holiday and OH has cousins that live there but not sure about work opportunities in our fields ( IT and Podiatry).