Living the Dream

Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:10 am
Just Joined

banjax is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Living the Dream

Hi

Is anybody here living the dream? We wonder if there is a better life to be had outside of Northern Ireland. For the all the reasons that have been widely televised and for some that are not so obvious in the work place.

I work as an Network engineer and OH as a Podiatrist, we have a 2 year old daughter. We do not have a lot of family support to make us homesick.

We all enjoy outdoors activities and are seeking a rural and beach life but house prices and working culture here are still impossible. We would like to live near a medium sized city/town for access to schools, medical facilities and civilisation but ideally we would like to build a house in the long term.

Are you or is anybody you know living this dream in NZ or anywhere else?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:15 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living the Dream

Kia Ora & Welcome!

NZ is lovely... Like everywhere else, you will have good & bad days... Good & not so good jobs...

However, NZ has a lot to offer... Having been here 6/7 weeks, I cant go on forever but the other guys probably can/will...

Why dont you come for holidays? 1month to discover & feel NZ...
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Matewx
Kia Ora & Welcome!

NZ is lovely... Like everywhere else, you will have good & bad days... Good & not so good jobs...

However, NZ has a lot to offer... Having been here 6/7 weeks, I cant go on forever but the other guys probably can/will...

Why dont you come for holidays? 1month to discover & feel NZ...
Coming in November for 4 weeks, Anywhere you recommend seeing and why ?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:29 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Been here just over a month so cant help on that...

Auckland for a couple of days while you get over your jetlag...

Then get out of the city & explore...

I know I ain't helpful... Just new!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 10:57 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjax
hi there and welcome!!

Recommend you get yourself a hire car, and after a couple of nights in Auckland head off to explore.......Bay of Islands, Coromandel, Bay of Plenty,
Hawkes Bay, Rotorua & Wellington all worth checking out if you can and all for the same reasons really .... the beaches, the varity of touristy things av, the landscape. Not been to SI yet but if you are planning on seeing both Islands you would be better off staying at 'Top Ten' sites, motels, private units (check out vacancies with local tourist info office .... really helpful!)

We didn't pre book anything apart from flights!!
Have a fantastic time!
B x
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:31 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Is anybody here living the dream? We wonder if there is a better life to be had outside of Northern Ireland. For the all the reasons that have been widely televised and for some that are not so obvious in the work place.

I work as an Network engineer and OH as a Podiatrist, we have a 2 year old daughter. We do not have a lot of family support to make us homesick.

We all enjoy outdoors activities and are seeking a rural and beach life but house prices and working culture here are still impossible. We would like to live near a medium sized city/town for access to schools, medical facilities and civilisation but ideally we would like to build a house in the long term.

Me, me, me, ooooo, me, I am ... living the dream! Sadly have yet to have Jonnie Depp turn up in his Jack Sparrow get up - but definitely living someones, some kind of dream!
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here 6 years and definately living the dream

By the way.............. the dream is what ever you make it.

Gill and Rob.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:39 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
We have been here 6 years and definately living the dream

By the way.............. the dream is what ever you make it.

Gill and Rob.
How do you get that to work? Mine regularly involve said Mr Depp - but still bloody waiting?
Old Jul 27th 2009, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Are house prices coming down 20% to 30% as in the UK ?

Last edited by banjax; Jul 27th 2009 at 4:14 pm. Reason: Improved understanding
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Me, me, me, ooooo, me, I am ... living the dream! Sadly have yet to have Jonnie Depp turn up in his Jack Sparrow get up - but definitely living someones, some kind of dream!
Oi, that's MY DREAM
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:49 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Are you also visiting Australia at the same time as I note you have posted the exact same thread there. No worries or owt but just wondering if that means two weeks in NZ and two weeks in OZ.

For property prices have a browse around Open2view . That will give you some idea of what is available and where.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes, I feel we are. NZ has ticked EVERY box and many, many more we never expected to get ticked!! Our new lives are as good as it gets in our opinion, and for once in my life I am truly content with everything.

No matter how much money was given to me tomorrow I would not move from where we are. As has been said that does not make NZ a perfect place..it has loads of issues and some really ghastly stats.

Some hate NZ and I can truly understand why. Its not for everyone. But we have everything here that we could not have in the UK. Space, a really, really good neighbourhood, endless things to do and the beach is always empty. There's way less pressure here on all of us by comparison to the pressure of inner city life in Northampton.

I am totally convinced that my kids life is also sooooooooooooooooo much better here, Felix was 4 when we came and the twins Elise and 'Bella were 2. They have utterly wonderful lives. The back garden's a forest and they live in the quietest street imaginable with mountain views if they care to look! There's a park 200 yards away with an even more spectacular view...all this just 3ks away from a really funky (IMO) town.

So what are you waiting for? NZ is open for business!!

So in summary NZ rocks (for us) ......... which is nice, aye?
Old Jul 28th 2009, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Nelson and the National parks..beauty personified apparently. The trans senic from the top of the south Isle to the bottom..a must do afore ye die apparently. Likewise the Train from Auckland to werllington..just do it!!!

The Bay Of Islands (above Auckland) Lake Taupo and Rotorua..all MUST BE SEEN..is that clear????..been to all of them..really superb places to visit.

Taupo Bay up north of the North Isle cos' some one said last week. Wellington because you must visit our capital and Te Papa whilst there..our National Museum.

Auckland is a must see as is Milford Sounds (bottom of the South). The ferry ride from North to South Island is also on of the top 10 ferry rides in the world.

Get to Christchurch too..heard its REALLY awesome. At get to that beach up Hawkes Bay way to swim with that really amazing friendly Dolphin, while you are there visit Napier cos its awesome too and drive to Ocean Beach and Waimarama just past Havelock North. You have now run outta time, I think you ran out about 3 paragraphs ago. Enjoy.
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:01 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Banjax
I am!

I love it here.
Just love it!

I think everyone has covered all the areas I would suggest as lovely places to visit. It was me that mentioned Taupo Bay - lovely lovely. Bay of Islands is a must. Coromandel - walk to Cathedral cove.
Happy travels
Old Jul 28th 2009, 5:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

On the whole we are very happy here. I suppose the only down-side for me is work. I gave up midwifery here because the system frustrates the hell out of me & I was driving OH nuts going on about it But I miss the actual job & have even considered going back to the UK for 4 months/year to work in the NHS!

I need to do something as although OH is on a great salary by NZ standards, mine would pay for holidays etc. Also need to do something that will challenge me. Just in limboland trying to decide what to do (any ideas welcome).

We have a great social life, do stuff that I would never have done in the UK, eg kayaking & just can't imagine living in the UK full-time again.

If you fly into Auckland, a great day trip whilst you're recovering from jet-lag is to Tiritiri Matangi. Ferry goes from Auckland CBD, calls at Gulf Harbour & then onto Tiritiri. Do the guided tour for an extra $5, you'll need to take a packed lunch with you. It's an interesting & relaxing day out seeing some of the native birds & geckos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.